Tattoos?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Thrillho

Re: Tattoos? (Recently merged: "Nerdy Tattoo Idea")

Postby Thrillho » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:48 am UTC

It was more the location that I was worried that was cliche. The friend told me since many people have it on the arm, its overused.

One feature which I probably should have mentioned earlier is that I've seen someone with a very similar tattoo, except it was either on his back or chest - it was years ago, so I don't remember it that clearly, unfortunately. His was large (by my standards) - it looked to be about 4 inches by 4 inches. I liked the idea very much, but didn't want to be seen as a "copycat". Which is unfortunate, because the effect was really nice. Does this change the situation of me getting this tattoo at all? In other words, will I be seen as unoriginal?

Ideally, I'd prefer to have it somewhere fairly inconspicuous, not painful (I dislike needles), but with a large enough area to give an appropriate level of detail.

Also, thanks for mentioning it was the coat of arms of Estonia. Another thing I forgot to include in my previous post.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:57 am UTC

Here's mine (that's actually my right shoulder):
Spoiler:

This is how I designed it:
Spoiler:

I want to get 2-4 more. One would be the Kappa Sig Badge around my left shoulder (so it's curved around my shoulder):
Spoiler:

Then my personal philosophy across my back:
Clavis vita est scientia temperata sapientia

Problem is, I don't know how to place that on my back so it looks good... I would only want to take up the top part of my back, and I might want to leave room for the other two tattoos I might get.

My best friend has a BR symbol on his right shoulder blade:
Spoiler:

And a Pennywise symbol on his left shoulder blade:
Spoiler:

If I got those, I'd get them on my shoulder blades but reverse them. Don't know if I want to do that tho.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

One feature which I probably should have mentioned earlier is that I've seen someone with a very similar tattoo, except it was either on his back or chest - it was years ago, so I don't remember it that clearly, unfortunately. His was large (by my standards) - it looked to be about 4 inches by 4 inches. I liked the idea very much, but didn't want to be seen as a "copycat". Which is unfortunate, because the effect was really nice. Does this change the situation of me getting this tattoo at all? In other words, will I be seen as unoriginal?
if you're getting the coat of arms of your family or your country...then originality is a moot point....it's probably been done...and been done a lot...

who cares if the CONTENT isn't "original"...it's the only coat of arms of Estonia that's ever been tattooed on you...shouldn't that be enough?
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

TotseanRefugee

Postby TotseanRefugee » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:19 am UTC

If I ever got a tattoo, which isn't likely, it would definitely be a big "ANDY" on the underside of my foot. With a backwards N, of course. *my friend's idea, not mine

tell me if anyone gets the joke.

mspickle

Postby mspickle » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:31 am UTC

I get the Andy joke from Toy Story. :)

I have 3 tats. The one on my ankle hurt and it's had to be retouched and it's still fading. The one on my shoulder and the one on my back didn't hurt much. I have a dove on my right back, a rose on my left shoulder, and a lily of the valley on my ankle.

PS I've been to Japan and yes there is a stigma because of the mafia/tattoo connection, but...it was never a problem for me (I only had one at the time) and was given admittance to the women's bath house! I think they are more lenient in recent years toward gaijin with tattoos.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:02 pm UTC

i wish i could get admitted into the women's bath house in japan.....
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

DecemberSoul

Postby DecemberSoul » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:44 pm UTC

I've always liked the idea of getting [imath](x^2+y^2-1)^3=x^2y^3[/imath], the equation of a graph of a heart. But after all it is numbers and letters, and not very pretty. But cool.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:57 pm UTC

sort of a more nerdy version of This one....where as hers is only a "tattoo" (or at least a complete image) when you connect the dots...yours would only be a complete image if someone's carrying around some graph paper or a graphing calculator

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:07 pm UTC

and of course...as usual..i'm not even close to done with my most recent project (the octo-samurai that i got outlined last month or whenever it was), and i've already found a probable next project (to add to the already massive list of projects that i've got in one stage of planning or another)
i've got a samurai octopus...why not a samurai monkey?
17.jpg
17.jpg (155.52 KiB) Viewed 8395 times

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

Looks more like sun wukong, the monkey king from journey to the west clicky

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:53 am UTC

Been kicking around the idea of getting a biohazard symbol tattoo on the inside wrist for a few months now.
Spoiler:
376px-Biohazard_symbol.svg.png
376px-Biohazard_symbol.svg.png (13.43 KiB) Viewed 8340 times
I like the shape, and as a medical scientist it's an appropriate marking. I think yellow-glowing UV ink would be awesome, but might have to compromise depending on how the ink presents under normal lighting. I'd prefer something that is near invisible most of the time.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

There are a few ideas I have had

a. the words leviticus 19:28 (the verse that says do not tattoo the body)

b. picture of Thích Quảng Đức on my back or shoulder blade
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

8l2255

Postby 8l2255 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:46 pm UTC

I have a friend who tends to go into a tatt studio, open a book and say "that one". He now has jack skellington (of nightmare before christmas) on his shoulder, felix the cat whistling away on his calf, metallica on the other calf and hollywood written on his foot.

OK. So I went overseas and I ended up with a nerdy tatt, a homage to the black hat man. I feel xkcdian guilt sometimes because it's a homage, not a straight up panel from a comic. I wanted something that marked where i was a couple years back, when I was half way through my maths degree. Somehow I ended up with the bhm acting sneaky trying to shove a pi symbol under my skin, it appears to be halfway through. Reminds me of travels, fun comics and hard uni times. :)

dragon

Postby dragon » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

8l2255 wrote:OK. So I went overseas and I ended up with a nerdy tatt, a homage to the black hat man. I feel xkcdian guilt sometimes because it's a homage, not a straight up panel from a comic. I wanted something that marked where i was a couple years back, when I was half way through my maths degree. Somehow I ended up with the bhm acting sneaky trying to shove a pi symbol under my skin, it appears to be halfway through. Reminds me of travels, fun comics and hard uni times. :)
That sounds great. Could you post a picture?
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

8l2255

Postby 8l2255 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:08 am UTC

Right, this is the tattoo. This picture was taken in a red lit room ... The only thing i wonder about is the angle and size of the hat, would've liked it bigger and more on top. It's over my ribs on my right side. The guy in the tatt parlour put it together from an idea I had.

Spoiler:

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:10 pm UTC

crowey wrote:Looks more like sun wukong, the monkey king from journey to the west clicky

that's actually my bad....my brain knew it wasn't a monkey samurai...and i actually was pretty sure that it had something to do with "the monkey king" (though....i didn't have sun wukong in my vocab at the time....i was thinking of a separate eastern story/mythology...but it still applies)...however i still allowed myself to type it....oh well...still bad ass right?

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

Totally badass. I was just being a pedant, I'm a big fan of monkey :wink:

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:50 pm UTC

hmm i wish i could find that to watch...sounds like something i'd like...netflix doesn't have it though...so...more searching must be done

i've always had a thing for monkeys (and apes etc...)...probably because i'm a natural climber (curtains, trees, rocks, buildings, etc...). monkey's have basically always been a part of my alter ego. my wife even has a monkey tattoo that represents me (it's a charley harper monkey, bottom center puzzle piece Here)

Jos

Postby Jos » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:21 pm UTC

Anybody; how does UV-ink preform after some years time ("what's the half life of it?" if you will). I can't seem to find the awnser in this thread with the search function
philsov wrote:Internets is a gift to Jos.

littlebuddy wrote:hmm... I wonder if I should call rule 34 on that hammer moderator, she probably has nice legs.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:49 pm UTC

UV reactive inks haven't really been around that long with regards to tattooing...there are very very few scientific studies about the longevity or long lasting effects...though virtually all results from searching the intertubes suggest that it doesn't last anywhere near as long as a well maintained standard ink tattoo

the biggest problems with the UV tattoos (as far as i can see) are the facts that A: it's not approved for use in people...it's only approved for use in tagging wildlife (which for most people i guess isn't really a problem but it's something i'd consider) and B: it's not actually ink, it's a fluid that's filled with tiny little plastic beads that contain the UV sensitive pigment. these beads are actually designed to eventually degrade under natural conditions in the wild (again if used on wildlife) so it's GUARANTEED that no matter how well you take care of the tattoo...eventually these beads will dissolve and the pigment will be released into your skin...where it will probably be absorbed into your body. of course before it absorbs it will probably spread out making for a pretty shitty looking tattoo

i know a few artists who have used UV "ink" on a few people...they're all really good artists but each of them has had at least one (usually more) person that they've used the stuff on have a bad reaction to the ink which caused some skin damage ...not major like it falling off but it scarred so you could see the outline of the tattoo as a raised pattern. one person had a massive allergic reaction to the ink and itched like hell for a few months (along with a red oozing rash)...of the artists i know that have used it...one used the stuff back when it was kind of first coming around and he said that the first 1 or 2 people he used the stuff on have said that the tattoos (was just an added outline to make existing art look neat) don't glow anymore or they only partially glow...and that the "ink" has yellowed a bit since they were applied about 5 years ago

plus...i just think UV tattoos are stupid (but that's personal opinion)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_tattoo
http://www.tattoohealth.org/content/uv.asp

Insane Amphibian

Postby Insane Amphibian » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:00 pm UTC

I'd get a tat of the Kerberos Panzer Unit Logo (look up Kerberos Chronicles) on my upper back.
Other Ones I would have on me:
1. The Aquila of the emperor (warhammer 40k), probably on left shouder
2. A radiation symbol on the back of my neck.
3. Finally, the Kanji for "victory" on the back of my hand
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, and used against you.

Men kick friendship around like a football, but it never seems to crack. Women treat it like glass, and it shatters to pieces.

Orchestra11

The Woodpecker.

Postby Orchestra11 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:23 pm UTC

I think its neat.
Attachments
Woodpecker.jpg
Woodpecker.jpg (7.9 KiB) Viewed 8067 times

Silvyr

Re: The Woodpecker.

Postby Silvyr » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:12 pm UTC

:O That's pretty much awesome.
Asmodieus wrote:You're a Cullen, Silvyr.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:59 pm UTC

Please tell me you didn't get that squiggle tattooed on your chest really.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

I couldn't resist.

Spoiler:

Serious:
The design doesn't actually look that bad, but the picture quality makes it look like it was done really half-arsed.
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

Baldur

Postby Baldur » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:02 pm UTC

I like the tattoo, personally.
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

Orchestra11

Postby Orchestra11 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:55 pm UTC

damn it. i should of done that.

*edit*

The tattoo was done about 2 days ago, and the quality of the camera is kinda bad. its still red and peeling. But it was done professionally and actually looks really well in person. But now i absolutely have to go over it and get woody.

8l2255

Postby 8l2255 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:30 pm UTC

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7674143267

All of you with math tattoos go on. (Or science... it's all applied maths really.... http://xkcd.com/435/)

:]

dragon

Postby dragon » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:32 am UTC

I visited a nearby tattoo parlour, to inquire about UV ink things (they'd had an advertisement up a while back), but they've stopped using them. Didn't like them and they didn't last well, they said, but the two people behind the counter couldn't tell me what brand of ink it was that they'd tried.

Does anyone have success stories on experiences with UV inks? (Specific details on the ink used would be very helpful)
If not, back to waiting for technology. No rush.
Context? What context?

dchuskerls

Re: Tattoos? (Recently merged: "Question")

Postby dchuskerls » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:11 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:@Belial: Like this? Cool.

Anyone know of any utility purposes to tattoos? Like, patients who get a mark tattooed for repeated surgery or something?

I am NOT talking about numbering prisoners during WW2.

saw a picture of a construction worker who had a 8 inch ruler on his fore arm. said he used it 100 times a day. guess that really useful

Jos

Postby Jos » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:00 pm UTC

dchuskerls wrote:

Anyone know of any utility purposes to tattoos? Like, patients who get a mark tattooed for repeated surgery or something?

saw a picture of a construction worker who had a 8 inch ruler on his fore arm. said he used it 100 times a day. guess that really useful

I heard by rumor (so it might not be true; though I prefer to believe in it) that a friend of a friend had a ruler down her thigh. I was not informed whether it was work-related or not.

littlebuddy wrote:hmm... I wonder if I should call rule 34 on that hammer moderator, she probably has nice legs.

mypsychoticself

Postby mypsychoticself » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:07 pm UTC

dchuskerls wrote:

It seems to me like that would be problematic if the person gained or lost a lot of weight.
I knew that we had suffered each as other,
And could have grasped your hand and cried, "My brother!"

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:04 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Anyone know of any utility purposes to tattoos? Like, patients who get a mark tattooed for repeated surgery or something?

Certain Military units have encouraged people to get uniform tattoos of important information on their body to help inform triage or identification; I considered doing the same recently before I went traveling... it would be useful, but ultimately I don't want a tattoo, if I'm meant to be cosmetically disfigured, Natural drunkeness will provide with its infinite bounty...
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

danniebenedi

Postby danniebenedi » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

I really want to get this tattoo'd, in the exact same place that girl has it. I'm too young, right now.

I'm also thinking of getting a Harry Potter-related quote somewhere on my body, any suggestions where? It can't be somewhere REALLY obvious.
EDIT: I've found the perfect HP Quote:

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore. What do you think of that?
Baby, I know.

WholeLottaSean

Postby WholeLottaSean » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:35 pm UTC

danniebenedi wrote:Image

I really want to get this tattoo'd, in the exact same place that girl has it. I'm too young, right now.

I'm also thinking of getting a Harry Potter-related quote somewhere on my body, any suggestions where? It can't be somewhere REALLY obvious.
EDIT: I've found the perfect HP Quote:

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore. What do you think of that?

Thats an awesome quote. I'm gonna get "And now, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure", also said by Dumbledore. It's in the design process, and I'm thinking it can go on my chest maybe.

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:26 pm UTC

mypsychoticself wrote:
dchuskerls wrote:saw a picture of a construction worker who had a 8 inch ruler on his fore arm. said he used it 100 times a day. guess that really useful

It seems to me like that would be problematic if the person gained or lost a lot of weight.

Among people that might get tattoos, I'd think construction workers would be among the least likely to do that, at least not while on the job. Construction's a pretty good workout.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

SimpleSimon

Postby SimpleSimon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:29 pm UTC

I've got 4 tattoos, arsenal badge on my chest, decepticon symbol on the front of my shoulder, atlas holding up the world on the side of my shoulder and a map of south london on my back. Jealous much?
Check out my Blog

http://simplesciman.wordpress.com/

Its not shit, promise

WholeLottaSean

Postby WholeLottaSean » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:17 pm UTC

Armadillo Al wrote:
mypsychoticself wrote:
dchuskerls wrote:saw a picture of a construction worker who had a 8 inch ruler on his fore arm. said he used it 100 times a day. guess that really useful

Among people that might get tattoos, I'd think construction workers would be among the least likely to do that, at least not while on the job. Construction's a pretty good workout.

That doesn't mean they won't gain/ lose weight

Jos

Postby Jos » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:22 pm UTC

WholeLottaSean wrote:
Armadillo Al wrote:
mypsychoticself wrote:

True story. And another issue would be that muscles curve up the body, giving even higher inaccuracies

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:54 pm UTC

Jos wrote:
WholeLottaSean wrote:
Armadillo Al wrote:
mypsychoticself wrote:

True story. And another issue would be that muscles curve up the body, giving even higher inaccuracies

Regardless of how the body curves, if you put a tape measure on your skin, and hold it to conform to your body, and inch is an inch.

Also, you'd have to gain or lose a fuckton of weight in your forearms, not a place you really gain or lose all that much weight, for the measurements on your skin to be that skewed from the original "true" measurements. And to that point, no true construction worker, carpenter, etcetera, would use a tattoo as a definitive measurement; if it's accuracy they're going for, they'd use a ruler, the tattoo would be only useful for approximations.

Return to “General”