Tattoos?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Malconstant

Recursion Tattoo Ideas

Postby Malconstant » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:46 pm UTC

I'm quite new to these forums and mistakenly got a tattoo-related thread going elsewhere http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=73816. The topic was Recursion Tattoo Ideas. I'd like to get one some point in the relatively near future and I wanted to pick people's brains for any clever ideas/examples. In particular the idea of using a closed loop around an arm/leg/finger/etc. is appealing to me, but any sort of recursion is game.

So if you have a clever idea, feel free to talk about it here or go check out what other people have already come up with! ( http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=73816)
Technical Ben wrote:PS, doogly, way to miss the point.

goyankswin

Re: Tattoos?

Postby goyankswin » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:46 pm UTC

So I stumbled upon this board looking at some geeky tattoos and figured I'd make a contribution.
I got this tattoo about 2-2 1/2 weeks ago and I love it.

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy230/goyankswin/Tatttt.jpg

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:19 pm UTC

Has a very "Sarah Kerrigan comes to Hyrule" look.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

keeneal
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between

Postby keeneal » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

goyankswin wrote:So I stumbled upon this board looking at some geeky tattoos and figured I'd make a contribution.

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy23 ... Tatttt.jpg

I'm quoting this because it's a pretty neat tat and I think the mods might remove it because of the no-links-for-newbies rule.
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene

goyankswin

Postby goyankswin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

keeneal wrote:
goyankswin wrote:So I stumbled upon this board looking at some geeky tattoos and figured I'd make a contribution.

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy230/goyankswin/Tatttt.jpg

I'm quoting this because it's a pretty neat tat and I think the mods might remove it because of the no-links-for-newbies rule.

Awesome :3 I didn't really know much about the site or anything so I'm glad someone liked it and quoted just in case. Thank you :D

goyankswin

Postby goyankswin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:03 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:Has a very "Sarah Kerrigan comes to Hyrule" look.

Yeah, I like it a lot. I didn't actually notice that until now xD
But yeah, it kinda does :p

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:32 am UTC

I really want to commission Will Schaff for a tattoo. I absolutely adore his style.

Examples

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:12 pm UTC

ParanoidAndroid wrote:I really want to commission Will Schaff for a tattoo. I absolutely adore his style.

Examples

seconded
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

gigogurl

Tattoo Thoughts?

Postby gigogurl » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:37 am UTC

Couldn't figure out whether it was better to resurrect the old tattoo thread or just start a new one, I hope I chose right. Anyways...

I've been thinking about getting a tattoo for a long time, and I really like the imagery of the phrase "turtles all the way down"... I'm a big nerd (duh), I loved Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time (in which he relays the story of the old lady and Bertrand Russel -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down), and to me it sort of represents the idea that the universe is full of puzzles and wonder... for every truth we uncover, there is another mystery to be solved. Plus, I'm a software developer, and there's the whole recursion thing.

In addition, my very first programming language was Logo (a teaching language that stars a turtle) when I was a little kid, and then I came full circle and worked on StarLogo TNG (another teaching language - basically, the original Logo much evolved) many many years later for about a year as part of my masters thesis. Computer science / programming are a huge part of who I am, and the story of how I got there is basically "turtles all the way down."

I'm thinking of something that would look vaguely like this. It's not quite the style I'd want, but basically, turtles on turtles on turtles fading into nothingness - I'm picturing this being in the upper left corner of my back.

My only hesitation is that I'm not 100% sure what "Turtles all the way down" would say to the rest of the world. I've done my reading (admittedly, mostly wikipedia, but I also skimmed a few of the sources) and I've asked a few friends, but I wanted to get some opinions from you guys about what you'd think if you saw a tattoo like that. Would you assume any particular philosophical/mathematical/religious viewpoint? Does my personal interpretation of the phrase differ radically from yours? I know that the story has been used historically in various discussions (and criticisms) of religion, and while I'm an atheist, I wouldn't want to get a tattoo that might be seen as disrespectful of anybody's beliefs. I also wouldn't want a tattoo that might make people misinterpret my own beliefs. Is this something I need to worry about?

Feedback is much appreciated - I'd much rather hear any opinions (positive or negative) now, rather than after this thing is permanently on my back. Thanks!

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Re: Tattoo Thoughts?

Postby Sungura » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:55 am UTC

Tattoos are super personal...hard for anyone else to judge really.

What I did when I got mine, and what I recommend always, is:
1) get a drawing you like settled on, and put it in a drawer for at least a few months and dont look at it, 6 months is even better. Look at it again, if you still like it, great! Sounds like you've kinda done this already.
2) I really like straytats.com you can get any size full color temp tattoo made, and it stays on for a good few days at least. Get a few and play with exact sizing and placement, wear it a bit to make sure you like the look! Maybe it's a great design on paper, but you dont like it on your body or it needs some redesign to fit well where you wanted or something....temporary and inexpensive, unlimited play time to get all the kinks worked out!
3) commit! =)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/her/they/snug/gender neutral

selfassembled

Postby selfassembled » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:55 am UTC

I always wanted this tattoo, which is a somewhat similar concept. Without the red ring.

It represents the cyclic but progressive and more nuanced nature of evolution and the continuity of life in general, as a bonus, I do believe the length of the line subtended between the perimeters of the circles as you angle from the center to 180 degrees increases exponentially, a central feature of my conception of evolution.

I really want this tattoo, and almost did, until I spent the night with a girl who had an eerily similar one, exactly where I wanted mine, on my back. That was two years ago.
Attachments
logo.jpg

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:06 am UTC

I don't know if I posted mine yet, so I am totally doing it now.
Tatoo.jpg
This is a pic of it unfinished, but it gives you an idea of where it is (boob tattoo!)
not done yet.jpg
It is the complete face from Hedwig and the Angry Inch, a baby snapping turtle, and an altered line from Small Gods by Pratchett.
The snapping turtle is the most aggressive of the turtles, and it's protection is being complete in itself, with a nod to evolution and the whole idea from the start of Small Gods. (The eagle thinks it is tough shit cause it can fly, but turtles have been around forever and the eagle has just been around for a blimp of time. The turtle will last on, and one day learn to fly. I will totally go on, and will fly one day.)
Yay Quarter Life Crisis!
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:24 am UTC

Great...now that song is stuck in my head
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:00 am UTC

There are so many great songs.
My Fav: Wicked Little Town
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:25 pm UTC

I'm in love with "Origin of Love"
ImageImageImageImageImage

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:16 pm UTC

I've recently made my first tattoo, and it's Tolkien themed :D When I get home I shall post the picture.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:30 pm UTC

selfassembled wrote:I always wanted this tattoo, which is a somewhat similar concept. Without the red ring....

Can you explain your theory of evolution? It's an interesting design!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:57 pm UTC

And here it is:

The Tengwar letters below read: "The road goes ever on and on"

:D

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:00 pm UTC

going to get stabbed after work today...hopefully anyway

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:30 pm UTC

466653_4659086607416_1844540037_o.jpg

and there it do. i'm from southern louisiana and grew up in a family that was half "semi proper sugar cane farmer decendents" and half "uneducated swamp folk". so this is a tribute tattoo to both of my grandmothers who have died. the "proper" one being the crawfish (she made the best crawfish bisque and crawfish etoufee) and the "swamp folk" being the shrimp. also, the cajun trinity (celery, onion, and green bell pepper...which are the three primary ingredients in any real cajun dish).

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:30 pm UTC

Congrats on the meaningful ink job!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:18 pm UTC

all of mine are meaningful.....to me. i've never really understood the idea of having a tattoo (or anything else) that has meaning for anyone else, as the specific reason for the tattoo

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:02 am UTC

I've never understood the obsession with tattoos having to have meaning to be acceptable. Neither of you necessarily feel that way, it just reminded me of it. I think "Because it's beautiful" is perfectly adequate as well. It is art, after all. Or actually, to broaden it a bit, "Because I like it." One if mine has meaning (though I don't often think about it when I look at it). The other I got to celebrate finishing college, but really just because I thought it would look nice on my body. *shrug*

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:06 am UTC

I realize I have no idea what the difference is between those two crustacean is besides color. They are quite attractive however.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:56 pm UTC

well, the red guy has claws (shrimp have claws too...but....smaller) so, that's the main give away that he's the crawfish...but the carapace is shaped differently as well. also, not a diagram in a biology textbook

chuckthechemist

Gots me an XKCD tattoo.

Postby chuckthechemist » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:37 am UTC

But I'm not quite sure how to share it with y'all. Is it cool to post links here?

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Re: Gots me an XKCD tattoo.

Postby ConMan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:49 am UTC

You may post links, but currently you can't (hint - check one of the stickied threads to find out why). As for whether pics of tatts are cool, I'm pretty sure there was some kind of "show us your tattoos" thread but it wasn't one I looked at so I have no idea where it went (but you might want to track it down to post yours in).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

K-R

Re: Gots me an XKCD tattoo.

Postby K-R » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:06 am UTC

I have no tattoos as yet, but once I get my PhD I want a tattoo reading "Nullius in Verba" (the motto of the Royal Society) on my left shoulderblade to mark the occasion, something like this https://secure.flickr.com/photos/timoni/6766900327/

learsfool

Postby learsfool » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:44 am UTC

Both of my tattoos are half scarification for texture/feel (biomechanical on the right bicep/shoulder and clockwork on the left) and I ended up loving the scarification so much (you can FEEL them without touching them!) I got a circuitry design on my left forerarm, which I'm quite fond of.

Umm. . .eagds it's hard to take pictures like this!

Here we go (ish)
Attachments
20130920_203449.jpg
20130920_203449.jpg (43.27 KiB) Viewed 9196 times
20130920_203411.jpg
20130920_203411.jpg (38.79 KiB) Viewed 9196 times

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:11 am UTC

I'm not sure I'd ever get a tattoo (it's something about the permanent part that irks me) but if I did...

Eye tattoo on the left ankle. Because I have to.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:35 pm UTC

I really want some combination of these two:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/ ... f5f719.jpg

http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/236x/ ... 678e1f.jpg

Ring of dots, thin band, space, thinner band, probably on my right arm, close to the elbow.

natraj

Postby natraj » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:27 pm UTC

those look really neat. would you want them purely for the aesthetic or is there some other meaningfulness there? (not that there has to be, just curious.)
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:52 pm UTC

It's mostly the aesthetic truthfully. The vibe reminds me of a lot of things I hold in high regard, but isn't meaningful in and of itself.

Brace

Postby Brace » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:13 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.
Last edited by Brace on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:30 pm UTC

They tended to be around wrists and ankles, not upper forearms or calves. But true!

Homeboy wore them well.

Brace

Postby Brace » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:24 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.
Last edited by Brace on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:31 pm UTC

Return to “General”