Why boycotte a place just 'cause of one bad purchase

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

maydayp

Why boycotte a place just 'cause of one bad purchase

Postby maydayp » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:07 am UTC

Okay, first I want to say no offense, really. I just don't understand this.
I've been reading a lot things like "not always right" (notalwaysright.com). I've also seen this behavior with a lot of people in public. they go to a place once, get bad service, and say forget it, and never go back. Even if they are supported by another employee, or if it was a small mistake. to highlight it:
http://notalwaysworking.com/may-your-na ... avor/26917

I mean yeah, avoid the employee, make sure they get your order right, etc. But give it more then one go. Unless you know for a fact that the whole staff and store in incompetent. People make mistakes, I know it, you know it. It just doesn't make sense to me.

EDIT:
what I mean is, not to say that you can't choose to not visit a place, but the assumption that the offense is bad enough to reflect the whole business, that it reflects enough to say "of course I never went there again", or the anger level that some people display over a simple mistake (like forgetting to grab drinks. I might decrease the tip, and/or get irritated but I don't rant about it). Or when the other coworkers are shocked by the mistake, and/or it's obviously one person rather then the company.
And I understand that if you only go out a few times a year why you'd be picky, but this is more about the people who go out for food a couple times a week/month.
Last edited by maydayp on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:52 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Tyndmyr

Re: Why boycotte a place just 'cause of one bad purchase

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:07 pm UTC

It depends how bad it is. If service is slow 'cause a place is busy, or some other fairly reasonable situation...it's not a big deal. I may avoid the place if it's ALWAYS slow/busy, but one minor mishap is not a big deal.

More major issues like "they insist on putting in ingredients I'm allergic to"...yeah, I'd say people are justified in being more cautious with that. I certainly do avoid places that were a really bad experience, even if it was only once.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:41 pm UTC

It's because people are awful. Just terrible, awful, rude, irrational beings.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:48 pm UTC

maydayp wrote:Okay, first I want to say no offense, really. I just don't understand this.
I've been reading a lot things like "not always right" (notalwaysright.com). I've also seen this behavior with a lot of people in public. they go to a place once, get bad service, and say forget it, and never go back. Even if they are supported by another employee, or if it was a small mistake. to highlight it:
http://notalwaysworking.com/may-your-na ... avor/26917

I mean yeah, avoid the employee, make sure they get your order right, etc. But give it more then one go. Unless you know for a fact that the whole staff and store in incompetent. People make mistakes, I know it, you know it. It just doesn't make sense to me.
In that particular case, where both the employee fails to understand the concept of "leaving an ingredient off a sandwich", as someone who is a [picky eater|allergy sufferer|lactose intolerant|something I failed to mention] and does not wish to eat a particular ingredient, it makes sense to avoid that location/chain as there appears to be a flaw in their training process.

Myself, for example - while I have no medical issue with it, I cannot abide mayonnaise. At all. I like the component ingredients fine, I hate that particular combination of them. So places that offer it on sandwiches and so on get two tries with me, as I always request no mayonnaise. Screwing up once is.. well, mistakes happen. Screwing up again (particularly within a week or two after the first mistake) means I will not be visiting that location again. Because.. quite literally.. not catching it before I leave means I don't just waste money, but that I don't eat a meal that day. And I don't like that.

Anyway, you sometimes cannot avoid the employee. You cannot control who prepares your food. You technically can control who waits on you in a restaurant, but that often ends with your new server being pissed at you as they now have an extra table or got double-seated or whatever. If it's a small organization, you really can't control who is working with you.

And depending on the level of incompetence presented (again, in this case the request was "Leave this off" not "Replace this") you may simply not want to give them another try.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:55 pm UTC

law of small numbers.

If I'm a regular and they screw up -- no big deal, they've been great in the past. But bad first impressions have a much larger effect than bad 22nd impressions. In terms of food, there are multiple venues, so it's not worthwhile to give the place another shot. Go the one right across the street instead. It's the same amount of time, and a crap shoot, but its backed by statistics as more likely to be a pleasant experience.

See also: people.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:03 pm UTC

Your specific example was actually two bad product deliveries. In a row.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

DaveInsurgent

Postby DaveInsurgent » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:42 pm UTC

I don't boycott places based on personal experience.

Your sample size will never be enough to accurately predict what will happen the next time. For example, if you buy a TV at Best Buy, and it's broke in the box, and you return 5 of them in a row because they're all broken, saying, "I will never shop at Best Buy" simply for that reason (and not because, say, they carrier crappy stuff in general) is stupid. The same goes for brands, you can buy 10 Sony TVs in a row and they all fail, and you still can't actually say, "Sony makes unreliable television sets". Most people do, most people base their product-hopping (and that's all it is, because they rinse and repeat the same behaviour from manufacturer to manufacturer) based on their narrow experience instead of looking at stats. Even then, the stats are usually pretty shitty, but for example when it came time to buy a vehicle, our particluar class of vehicle had terrible reliability reports from Dodge. It was very unlikely that we would be willing to buy one (though not impossible, if they offered us one for an insanely low price, with a warranty appropriate to the amount of time we need to use it for, that's great). My vehicle could have failed 3 days after I bought and that wouldn't prevent me from buying one again.

Unless you know for a fact that the whole staff and store in incompetent.

I think that's an uphill battle that only leads in to a pit of mud. The people that work in those industries for any length of time, by their very definition, don't have skills or abilities that are otherwise valuable... so you can't reasonably expect much. We eat our two or three times a week, and I can't recall a week where all our orders were right, and we don't just go to the same places (franchise or actual location), in different cities, and our requests aren't complicated things - they're, for example, things like "no ketchup".

In this particular case, it sounds like the manager went over and above (refund > purchase price). I usually won't send an item back unless it's a disaster, though I do have the benefit of no food allergies. The level of entitlment people feel is astounding, and I'm also not afraid to put people in their place if I'm behind them in line and they're holding it up because "I'm so sorry about that, let me fix that for you" is somehow not enough.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:56 pm UTC

DaveInsurgent wrote:I don't boycott places based on personal experience.

Your sample size will never be enough to accurately predict what will happen the next time.

This is usually the case for a large, seldomly purchased product like a TV or a car...but not the case at all for service. There's a starbucks local to me, and I stop off there probably a coupla times a week. The service is always great, and not that many people work there. I can recognize all of them. Therefore, I can predict with pretty reliable accuracy that going there again will result in good service because my sample size is pretty large relevant to the important variable(the people).

Now, at a less awesome place...sure, maybe not everyone is bad. There's always a chance that this time, I'll get the one that does it right, but frankly, that doesn't sound very attractive to me. I'd rather stop at the place that I know always does a great job than the one that's spotty.

In this particular case, it sounds like the manager went over and above (refund > purchase price). I usually won't send an item back unless it's a disaster, though I do have the benefit of no food allergies. The level of entitlment people feel is astounding, and I'm also not afraid to put people in their place if I'm behind them in line and they're holding it up because "I'm so sorry about that, let me fix that for you" is somehow not enough.

I do not think that expecting to receive what you order is an astounding level of entitlement.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:23 pm UTC

I work in a fast food restaurant, and that link in the OP made me want to mock some of my customers.

Like this one guy who came the day after the prices increased at my store. When he got to the register and I told him the price, he repeatedly told me that he only brought exact change for the 6" Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki's previous price. I apologized for the inconvenience, but he kept repeating to me that he didn't bring enough to cover the cost increase for like two minutes.

So, I told him, "if it makes you feel better, none of the cost increase went into our wages."

He shut his mouth for about twenty seconds, then continued whining. The guy behind him in line got sick of it and gave him fifty cents to cover the rest. I still don't know what he expected from me, but it was certainly not something I could have given him.

Some customers really do not understand who they deal with when they go to a fast food restaurant. It is very rare that they are personally dealing with the people who make decisions. The vast majority of the time, they are talking to somebody who makes $7.25 to be the public face of the company and to do all the dirty work and to have to try to let the negative things customers say to us slide off before we go home. The guy who makes decisions is at his office yelling at the people who tell the managers what to tell us to do.

That motherfucker is making millions off our labor.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:11 pm UTC

If I have a poor meal or bad service at a restaurant, it's pretty unlikely that I'll come back. I eat out maybe once every few months, and there are lots of and lots of restaurants in my neighbourhood. It's not worth my time or money to go back and check if every restaurant that I didn't like when I went was atypical and I should try it again. If it's a restaurant that I have been to before and do like it, I'll probably excuse it if I get a subpar meal or service once or twice. But first time? Tough luck.

Here's the thing. A restaurant does many hundreds or even thousands of orders per week. If they're even half-decent, the chance of a catastrophic failure on a per order basis is pretty low, and since I visit restaurants fairly infrequently, the odds of it happening to me is extremely low. So, most of the time, it is safe to assume that if the food or service at a restaurant is bad, that probably represents the norm and not the exception. It may be wrong sometimes, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

maydayp

Postby maydayp » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:If I have a poor meal or bad service at a restaurant, it's pretty unlikely that I'll come back. I eat out maybe once every few months, and there are lots of and lots of restaurants in my neighbourhood. It's not worth my time or money to go back and check if every restaurant that I didn't like when I went was atypical and I should try it again. If it's a restaurant that I have been to before and do like it, I'll probably excuse it if I get a subpar meal or service once or twice. But first time? Tough luck.

Here's the thing. A restaurant does many hundreds or even thousands of orders per week. If they're even half-decent, the chance of a catastrophic failure on a per order basis is pretty low, and since I visit restaurants fairly infrequently, the odds of it happening to me is extremely low. So, most of the time, it is safe to assume that if the food or service at a restaurant is bad, that probably represents the norm and not the exception. It may be wrong sometimes, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

only eat out ever few month I can completely understand it. but a lot of the time these mistakes aren't catastrophic. And the more meals a place makes means the likely-hood of you getting a meal with a mistake goes up. Especially if they have a new cook or waitress on shift. I aslo see the blame getting shifted. One person had a horrible waitress, who got their whole order messed up (yeah, considering I've gone there multiple times I can see it's the waitress, not the cooks), yet the customer decided to blame the cooks as well.
the only times I've ever gone once and said never again is if there was like one thing I liked on the menu, and the quality was sub-par and quantity sucked, compared to the price. but in those instances I've never bragged and told other people to never go there. 'cause I've only been their once.

Obby

Postby Obby » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:15 pm UTC

I wouldn't call it "boycotting", because that implies some kind of moral stand. I just choose to stop shopping at whatever the business is. If service is subpar, why continue to do business with that place when there are a half a dozen places within a stone's throw that will give me the same thing for approximately the same price?

Now there are some exceptions to this. I would happily use another ISP aside from Comcast if one were available. I hate Comcast and their shit service, but unfortunately another high speed provider is not available, and they know it so they treat most of the people in my area like crap.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

maydayp

Postby maydayp » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:35 pm UTC

Obby wrote:I wouldn't call it "boycotting", because that implies some kind of moral stand. I just choose to stop shopping at whatever the business is. If service is subpar, why continue to do business with that place when there are a half a dozen places within a stone's throw that will give me the same thing for approximately the same price?

Now there are some exceptions to this. I would happily use another ISP aside from Comcast if one were available. I hate Comcast and their shit service, but unfortunately another high speed provider is not available, and they know it so they treat most of the people in my area like crap.

because sometimes it's obvious that it's the employee not the company at fault, and it is highly unlikely in that case to be just as bad the next time.
And at the earily hour I posted this I couldn't think of a better word then boycotte.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:26 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote: So, most of the time, it is safe to assume that if the food or service at a restaurant is bad, that probably represents the norm and not the exception. It may be wrong sometimes, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

And why should you lose sleep over it? A store or restaurant is not entitled to anyone's custom. For most people when they go to a new restaurant, it's to try it out, see what it's like and whatnot. The person's opinion of the place doesn't start out all that high, probably just barely high enough to go there once. If the experience is bad, then their opinion drops a little bit, and not being that high in the first place, it probably drops to the level of not going there again unless they get more information (like a friend raving about it).
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:09 pm UTC

First, Randal has you covered: http://xkcd.com/242/

Second, your purchasing decision was made on certain assumptions that did not turn out to be true (you got a lot worse than you expected): why wouldn't you expect such an event to happen again? If you get food poisoning, you aren't going back to that restaurant. On the other hand, you might just get a much worse meal than you were used to, and only on later trips realized that either the chef changed or they were cutting costs by buying lower quality ingredients (on one case it took me too long to realize).

An xkcd fan would do the math but need to try a competitor to check to see if it still held. A normal person would try a competitor and see if they liked it. There is a good chance that either way they are not coming back.

Oddly enough, the buzzword "quality" is typically defined in this way. After the place I worked at went ISO-9000 and the guy in charge of engineer's "quality" was going on and on about the importance of such procedures and international assumptions of obeying the rules, I wanted to ask him if McDonald's had the worlds' highest quality restaurants.

On the flip side there is customer service. I am a semi-recovering DDO addict and understand that if I hit one of the character destroying bugs in the game, Turbine customer service will suggest I delete and start over. A smart customer hears word that customer service is pure hell and stays away before they are hit with the "single unacceptable purchase".

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:52 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Here's the thing. A restaurant does many hundreds or even thousands of orders per week. If they're even half-decent, the chance of a catastrophic failure on a per order basis is pretty low, and since I visit restaurants fairly infrequently, the odds of it happening to me is extremely low. So, most of the time, it is safe to assume that if the food or service at a restaurant is bad, that probably represents the norm and not the exception. It may be wrong sometimes, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

This. I worked at a pizza place that took hundreds of orders every weekend. We got orders right 99% of the time, despite having to take orders from people on horrible mobile connections who are barely audible while standing in a noisy kitchen. If I go to a restaurant once and they flub a simple order, it's more likely that their service is substandard than that I just happened to get the one order out of 500 that got screwed up that week.

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:59 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:This. I worked at a pizza place that took hundreds of orders every weekend. We got orders right 99% of the time, despite having to take orders from people on horrible mobile connections who are barely audible while standing in a noisy kitchen. If I go to a restaurant once and they flub a simple order, it's more likely that their service is substandard than that I just happened to get the one order out of 500 that got screwed up that week.

I could deal with the wrong toppings (although I might not want to buy the pineapple once it came). If the pepperoni or the sausage has gone bad and I don't notice it (perhaps I ate the pizza before it cooled enough), that would be unacceptable.

How did you deal with customers who insisted they ordered something else?

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:39 am UTC

Usually we just apologised and made them a replacement as quickly as possible, or offer them store credit next time they come in if they aren't too fussed about it.

Tounx

Postby Tounx » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:09 pm UTC

Sometimes I go to Mcdonalds and they mess up my order everytime. Once they know you get mad easily, they will do it every time. They don't care about their jobs.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:28 pm UTC

EmptySet wrote:Usually we just apologised and made them a replacement as quickly as possible, or offer them store credit next time they come in if they aren't too fussed about it.

And you would understand that if you screwed up the replacement as well, it would be perfectly reasonable for the new customer to decide not to get food from you guys anymore.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:03 pm UTC

Tounx wrote:Sometimes I go to Mcdonalds and they mess up my order everytime. Once they know you get mad easily, they will do it every time. They don't care about their jobs.

It's not that. What it is, is that they don't care about you. Their jobs are not at risk from complaints.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:28 pm UTC

Laser wrote: If I go to a restaurant once and they flub a simple order, it's more likely that their service is substandard than that I just happened to get the one order out of 500 that got screwed up that week.

See, I look at this completely differently. I DO assume it was a one-time mistake. I tend to give establishments the benefit of the doubt, and assume I'm just the unlucky one this time. Shit happens. As long as they sort it out and don't repeat it, I'm generally very understanding.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:25 am UTC

Роберт wrote:
EmptySet wrote:Usually we just apologised and made them a replacement as quickly as possible, or offer them store credit next time they come in if they aren't too fussed about it.

And you would understand that if you screwed up the replacement as well, it would be perfectly reasonable for the new customer to decide not to get food from you guys anymore.

Yup. If you crew up the same person's order twice in one night, it's perfectly understandable that they think your service is bad.

Ashlah wrote:
Laser wrote: If I go to a restaurant once and they flub a simple order, it's more likely that their service is substandard than that I just happened to get the one order out of 500 that got screwed up that week.

See, I look at this completely differently. I DO assume it was a one-time mistake. I tend to give establishments the benefit of the doubt, and assume I'm just the unlucky one this time. Shit happens. As long as they sort it out and don't repeat it, I'm generally very understanding.

I generally don't mind one mistake too much, as long as they sort it out. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to avoid returning to a restaurant if they mess up the first time you go there, either.

Crissa

Postby Crissa » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:16 pm UTC

I think this covers it:
http://xkcd.com/1098/

Although, I find most of the one-star ratings I find have little to do with anything the restaurant can do. They'll complain about not having the right change or ordering something the restaurant doesn't do or don't like spicy food at a spicy restaurant or asked for takeout at a sit-down or something. Have you ever looked at ratings for fish restaurants, for instance? If they only sell fish, they're guaranteed a three star rating at most. It's bizarre.

-Crissa

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:45 pm UTC

there's lots of places to eat. enough that I can be picky.

I'm happy to judge a place on one serving.

my normal routine when I move is to get a plate of chips or other similar basic dish like fried rice which is hard to mess up at each place. (not on the same day)

minimal cost and you get a very good idea of the quality of ingredients, whether they use good oil, how well it's cooked etc.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:16 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:

Keep in mind, the example posted, they made a mistake (customer ordered BLT without mayo, got BLT with Mayo). The customer said "hey, I'm lactose intolerant, so I really need a BLT WITHOUT mayo, like I ordered". So they gave the customer a BLT with cheese.

So, one time mistake, or incompetent staff? The probably of the latter is certainly fairly high, high enough that avoiding the restaurant in the future does not seem unreasonable.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:11 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:Keep in mind, the example posted, they made a mistake (customer ordered BLT without mayo, got BLT with Mayo). The customer said "hey, I'm lactose intolerant, so I really need a BLT WITHOUT mayo, like I ordered". So they gave the customer a BLT with cheese.

So, one time mistake, or incompetent staff? The probably of the latter is certainly fairly high, high enough that avoiding the restaurant in the future does not seem unreasonable.

I think the point was that was likely the action of one single poor employee. Is it necessarily a systemic issue with the restaurant itself? I wouldn't assume so, especially if its a fast food restaurant. Having worked in one I know the quality of some of the people who can get hired (and are quickly fired).

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:46 pm UTC

Thing is, it all depends on the "other options" factor, especially when you talk about food places.

If I go to a sandwich shop and they screw up, whilst there are 3 other similar shops around, I would probably pick another next time to see if that gives me a better experience.
If there is nothing else around, I am more likely to give it another shot to see if it was a one-off.

Incompetent staff doesn't generally bother me, they are there to learn and I am fairly patient. RUDE staff is however more of a no-go. I *would* avoid a place if I encountered rude employees, even on a "one off" encounter.
This too shall pass

OrangeLemonade

Postby OrangeLemonade » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:31 pm UTC

DaveInsurgent wrote:I don't boycott places based on personal experience.

Your sample size will never be enough to accurately predict what will happen the next time...

I think this is where Bayesian statistics becomes helpful ...

-O

ps. not a statistician, so let me know if I got this wrong

Crissa

Postby Crissa » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:04 am UTC

Mayo doesn't generally have milk in it. I'm not sure a non-sensical order is really a good test for minimum wage workers.

-Crissa

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:38 am UTC

Crissa wrote:Mayo doesn't generally have milk in it. I'm not sure a non-sensical order is really a good test for minimum wage workers.

-Crissa

by the sound of it he just asked for no mayo. whether he's lactos intolerant or not that's a request for no mayo.
"our mayo has no milk in it so shall I include it?" would be a correct response just adding it in because you think you know better is not.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:14 pm UTC

Crissa wrote:Mayo doesn't generally have milk in it. I'm not sure a non-sensical order is really a good test for minimum wage workers.

-Crissa

What does that have to do with anything? Ze asked for no mayo without saying anything about lactose the first time. They gave zir a BLT with mayo.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/lactose-in ... tment.aspx
Food and drink containing lactose

As well as dairy products, there are other food and drinks that contain lactose. Depending on how intolerant you are to lactose, you may need to remove them from your diet.
These include:

salad cream, salad dressing and mayonnaise
biscuits
chocolate
boiled sweets
cakes
peanut butter
bread and other baked goods
some breakfast cereals
packets of mixes to make pancakes and biscuits
packets of instant potatoes and instant soup
some processed meats, such as sliced ham

AFTER ze made it clear that the mayonnaise was not acceptable and repeated the request for BLT no mayo, ze mentioned that ze was lactose intolerant. Which, if you can read, you may notice is on the list of things truly lactose intolerant people may want to avoid.

After being told that ze was lactose intolerant, the worker decided to put cheese on the BLT for absolutely no good reason.

That's not just a one-off mistake, that two mistakes in a row, and one of them egregious. I would be perfectly comfortable saying "hmm, they seem to let completely incompetent people screw stuff up over there, maybe I should try other businesses instead."

And I don't have any food allergies/sensitivities. I believe someone who does would be all the more justified for avoiding a place that can mess up orders.

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:41 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/lactose-intolerance/Pages/Treatment.aspx

As well as dairy products, there are other food and drinks that contain lactose. Depending on how intolerant you are to lactose, you may need to remove them from your diet.
These include:

there is such a thing as milk-mayonnaise but pretty much every normal recepie is milk free while every major brand I could find like helmans was lactose free. there are some "light" version which have milk.

perhaps they were just playing it safe since it can be hard to visually see the difference.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:32 pm UTC

A couple of thoughts:

1) Why go back to somewhere where you've had a worse-than-average net experience?

2) What number of bad purchases would you need in order to stop going back? And how sure are you that that's the best number?

maydayp

Postby maydayp » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:03 pm UTC

HungryHobo wrote:
Роберт wrote:http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/lactose-intolerance/Pages/Treatment.aspx

These include:

there is such a thing as milk-mayonnaise but pretty much every normal recepie is milk free while every major brand I could find like helmans was lactose free. there are some "light" version which have milk.

perhaps they were just playing it safe since it can be hard to visually see the difference.
I can totally understand why some one would play on the cautious side, the reason I posted this story was not because I didn't think she had the right to be upset at the employee, or the mistake, but because in spite of the evidence to the contrary (the manager supporting her, and the managers disbelief at the employee putting cheese on the BLT) she thinks that the whole business is incompetent.

maydayp

Postby maydayp » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:09 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:

-Crissa

What does that have to do with anything? Ze asked for no mayo without saying anything about lactose the first time. They gave zir a BLT with mayo.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/lactose-in ... tment.aspx

These include:

biscuits
chocolate
boiled sweets
cakes
peanut butter
bread and other baked goods
some breakfast cereals
packets of mixes to make pancakes and biscuits
packets of instant potatoes and instant soup
some processed meats, such as sliced ham

AFTER ze made it clear that the mayonnaise was not acceptable and repeated the request for BLT no mayo, ze mentioned that ze was lactose intolerant. Which, if you can read, you may notice is on the list of things truly lactose intolerant people may want to avoid.

After being told that ze was lactose intolerant, the worker decided to put cheese on the BLT for absolutely no good reason.

That's not just a one-off mistake, that two mistakes in a row, and one of them egregious. I would be perfectly comfortable saying "hmm, they seem to let completely incompetent people screw stuff up over there, maybe I should try other businesses instead."

And I don't have any food allergies/sensitivities. I believe someone who does would be all the more justified for avoiding a place that can mess up orders.

actually the manager was like WTF is wrong with you to the employee. so it's more then likely that it's just the employee who is incompetent not the company, and that he would have been talked to about the incident or fired shortly there after for incompetence.

stinch

Postby stinch » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:11 pm UTC

maydayp wrote:actually the manager was like WTF is wrong with you to the employee. so it's more then likely that it's just the employee who is incompetent not the company, and that he would have been talked to about the incident or fired shortly there after for incompetence.

The company should have procedures in place to protect itself from employee mistakes. Generally cost and time restrains mean your quality control is not going to be perfect. For example you might be able to get 98% of new orders correct.

That leaves 2 out of every 100 new orders that are wrong and need to be reworked. Usually the economics of the reworked orders are different to new orders. Since you have already messed up once the customer is going to be much less tolerant of a second mistake. There are also a lot fewer rework orders. So it often makes sense to expect significantly more resources on quality control on a reworked order than a new order. You might say for example that reworked orders must be signed off by the manager before delivery to the customer.

So really if the order is messed up twice it's easy to hold the company to fault.

Return to “General”