wisdom teeth - its not that bad, or worse than you think.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

wisdom teeth - its not that bad, or worse than you think.

Postby parkaboy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:50 pm UTC

i had my top two wisdom teeth out a while back. i bled for half a day and had some lovely medication to keep me happy an pain-free. The actual procedure was completely painless.

My bottom two, however, are impacted and growing in at weird angles that are causing my lower teeth to scoot together very slowly. I'll have to have them surgically removed eventually... as soon as my insurance kicks in. THIS ONE i am not looking forward to unless they can put me under. and i had better get some good painkillers.

share your toothy stories! feel free to branch out to other dental adventures, rather than just stick with the wiser of your teeth!

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:56 pm UTC

I am of the 'it's not that bad' crowd. I got all four of mine removed pretty early on and I didn't even use the Percoset they gave me. I mean, it was uncomfortable, and I had the standard chipmunk look, but it was survivable. I was all worried that I wouldn't be able to play my trumpet for a while, but two weeks later I was at band camp and doing fine.

The best part is when you're coming off the anesthetic. I'm told that I woke up and started giggling incessantly when I discovered the blood pressure cuff and tube was still attached to my arm, and proceeded to fling it about and grin like an idiot. I'm also told that my brother woke up mumbling something about blue elephants.

The squirty syringe they give you for flushing out the holes is fun, too.
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:03 pm UTC

I had all four of mine removed in stages over a week.. that is, I had the right side done on Monday, the left side done on Friday.

At the time, I still smoked. Halfway through the first proceedure, the dentist asks "Oh, do you smoke?" and after I answer "Yeah.. well, I wouldn't for the next 24 hours or so."

... nothing makes you want a cigarette more than being told you cannot have one.

Anyway, while I'm sure they have nice, professional names for the tools he used, they appeared to me to be a flathead screwdriver and a set of needlenose pliers where the end was bent at a 90 degree angle. The corners of my mouth were split due to the manipulations.. that is, the screwdriver thing had to get in there at a 90 degree angle to the tooth. My mouth does not go back that far. It felt like he was trying to pull my nose off by yanking on my jaw. And that was really the most painful part.. the nose.

I had local novacaine, which was the second most painful part, as apparently the best way to get it there is to stick the needle in above the cuspid and then shove it all the way to the back. Still, after he did that, it was fine.

He offered a prescription for some painkiller.. Lortabs, I think. The first one I never filled..didn't even bother taking the second prescription.

The worst part of the care was picking bits of food out of the holes before they closed up, but that wasn't really all that bad.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:16 pm UTC

They numbed up my face until it felt like i didn't have one from the nose down, and started me on pure oxygene followed by some exciting gas. I listened to Tool, and had me a good time and one very trippy dream wherein the doctor looked kind of like Nowhere Man, but with a white lab coat and one of those old fashioned doctor's lights on his head. He was prepping two patients in beds and jumped up on them to do so, then he was spraying water, and saying "now swallow" and that's when I realised it was me he was prepping in reality, and I woke up and didn't care that my teeth were about to be ripped out because I was "coooooooool" and my face felt like nothing. It wasn't even that bad later. They actual removal was quick and easy, because mine weren't impacted at all, one he had to crush it half to get it out twinged for a moment, but it was really not that bad. And later I had to suck on a tea back to stop one of the back ones from bleeding. My lower lip was numb longer than the rest of my face, and I never touched the codine. Didn't have to. I may have taken Asprin or Tylanol, but I don't know that I needed it.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:20 pm UTC

I've had two removed.

The first one was terrible. It was growing all weird and the surgeon had to make bone cuts and everything to get it out. I spent the next few weeks(!) on heavy prescription painkillers. It was terrible, absolutely terrible!

The second one was straight up, and easy to remove. No surgeon was needed, my regular dentist could do it. It didn't hurt at all, and I didn't need painkillers anymore after a day or so.

I also had a root canal. That doesn't actually hurt (yay for anaesthetics), but it is rather annoying to sit with your mouth open for nearly an hour while some guy is prodding it. Much longer than the wisdom teeth thing, which took only a few minutes in both cases.

My mom always says how much she hates the anaesthetics needle in her gums, but that doesn't actually bother me at all. How about you guys?
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"
"It's Japan. Of course they will."

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:22 pm UTC

I don't have wisdom teeth. There are not, and have never been, any in my mouth. And my dentist tells me that I won't have any in the future, either. So thats kind of nice.

I had to get a few teeth out years and years ago, I think they were baby ones that weren't falling out on their own. The only thing I really remember from the operation was that they had a machine that made the little spiky heart graph thing, and when I was going under the doctor told me that I could keep the printout after, but then they never gave it to me, and I was too groggy from being drugged to remember to ask for it. I only remembered a few days later. Still bitter? Only a little.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:36 pm UTC

I told my wisdom teeth story somewhere in the Man thread, but I don't know where so I'll recap-

Four impacted teeth, two surgeons, and one foolish nurse who missed the vein = Meaux passing out due to fear of needles, then waking up crying and hysterically praying, followed by an hour of recovery.

Then I had a cheeseburger.

It really wasn't that bad. They had to break three out of four of the teeth, and I wear the fourth as an earring now. I was prettymuch fine by the next day. My mom took all my painkillers.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:39 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:My mom took all my painkillers.

rude imo
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

haveblue

Postby haveblue » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:40 pm UTC

It wasn't that bad for me. Didn't really need any of the painkillers. Also, I never complain about milkshakes. Even if they taste vaguely of Boost and blood.

Also, they put me to sleep while they did it, so it wasn't so bad at all.
Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease.

Teshi

Postby Teshi » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:38 pm UTC

I had six teeth out at once when I got my wisdoms out (four wisdoms and two closer to the front of my mouth for orthodontic reasons) and I was asleep at the time.

It was actually very much more interesting than traumatic. I'd never had a procedure like it and was interested in seeing what it was truly like to fall asleep through chemical means and have your heart going blip blip blip. I woke up feeling really high.

I had no initial complications (dry sockets, infection) except from swelling and some green cheeks, heh. However, about a month later I realised my cheeks had swollen again and I had to do another round of antibiotics. Other than that it was fairly okay- more okay than this mouth-to-gum skin graft I had which bled at inopportune moments.

lukkucairi

Postby lukkucairi » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:46 pm UTC

I've had upper bicuspids, lower second molars, upper wisdoms removed.

Not that bad, all in all - worst were the upper wisdoms - impacted and the roots had grown all curly, so bits of my jaw came out with them. I was knocked out - got a scrip for something with codeine in it, and took like 2 pills before deciding I'd rather rely on tylenol. My face was really swollen, I was in constant aching pain for about 18 hours, then it got better.

I was also in a foul mood, staying in a hotel with my mom. Barbarella's an interesting movie when you're on opiates, is all I can say.

Talon's right - the holes are the worst - picking food out of them, keeping them clean, and they seem to take a year and a half to close up. I never got a dry socket though I've had friends who did. Sounds pretty bad.

haveblue

Postby haveblue » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:35 pm UTC

I don't really ever remember having holes, after.. Maybe for a couple days, but not long enough to leave a substantial memory. I had stitches up in thurr forever though. I remember one fell out during a curling game, a month and a half later.
Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease.

Verator

Postby Verator » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:57 pm UTC

I had all 4 removed during spring break. They knocked me out, but I woke up as they were removing the first tooth, and they didn't give me enoguh painkiller. That's the strangest painful suckign feeling ever. After they were done, I took out my own IV because they were going too slow. I then after I got home forgot my mouth was full of blood since it was so numb, and go to talk to my mom and start having blood pour out of my mouth. I healed in about 2 days. Super-regenerative qualities ftw. The dissolving stitches tasted like shit though, and some blood ongealed in the bottoms under some barely formed skin, so I had a rotting taste in my mouth about a week later, until I scrubbed the holes raw and cleaned them out.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:12 pm UTC

My experience with wisdom teeth removal was, on the whole, pretty damn tolerable...went into the oral surgeon's office, where they quickly attached the vitals monitors and gave me nitrous for the IV - I get really nervous about needles. I was practically out before they even put the IV in, and the general kept me either totally knocked out or incoherent until my dad and I got home - I woke up in a recliner with a little blood on my shirt and gauze in my mouth, and spent the next several days subsisting on Gatorade and wishing the damned stitches would dissolve already. Best dentist visit ever, really.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:23 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:I told my wisdom teeth story somewhere in the Man thread, but I don't know where so I'll recap-

Four impacted teeth, two surgeons, and one foolish nurse who missed the vein = Meaux passing out due to fear of needles, then waking up crying and hysterically praying, followed by an hour of recovery.

Then I had a cheeseburger.

It really wasn't that bad. They had to break three out of four of the teeth, and I wear the fourth as an earring now. I was prettymuch fine by the next day. My mom took all my painkillers.
they told me biological waste was unnaccaptable to hand out, twat monkeys.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

prime

Postby prime » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:43 pm UTC

I had the 4 teeth that come right before the molars out (no idea what they're called...canines?). They gave me laughing gas and it was pretty cool, I kept losing my train of thought. Just sort of like "Oop, there goes a tooth, whadayaknow?" No medication or anything, but it seriously ached when the stuff they injected started wearing off. I imagine it's nothing like having wisdom teeth out. That day I stayed home from school and watched all 3 Indiana Jones while drooling spit and blood on myself.

Apparently when my dad had his wisdom teeth out they couldn't get an injection to the right place and at least one was taken out with no anesthetic...

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:48 pm UTC

We got mine early, so they healed quickly and nearly painlessly. They put me under for the surgery (the only thing I noticed about the laughing gas was that it took a lot of effort to breathe, after a while) and apparently was pretty loopy after I came out. After a day or two I was fine on half the recommended painkiller, and then the holes closed up rather quickly.

I couldn't stop chewing on the medicine bags, though. They tasted strange.

they told me biological waste was unnaccaptable to hand out, twat monkeys.
That sucks. I had one of those little useless tiny boxes given to me by an aunt a long time ago, and so now it holds my wisdom teeth.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:51 pm UTC

Medicine bags? stitches?

I got some gauze.

Also, I've got one of my wisdom teeth around somewhere.. three of them were in horrible condition, the fourth one was okay. And the root was twisted and bent... that one took forever to come out.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Xial

Postby Xial » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:07 pm UTC

I have enough room to keep ALL my wisdom teeth. Owned. /gloating

noouch

Postby noouch » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:14 pm UTC

Xial wrote:I have enough room to keep ALL my wisdom teeth. Owned. /gloating

Same here. Apparently they're only coming in on top for me...

SmoothHeavy

Postby SmoothHeavy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

Don't worry about it. I had all four removed (impacted) via surgery. Just be sure to have them put you under general.

The soreness afterwards lasts about a week. For the first few days gogurt will be your friend.

Eschatokyrios

Postby Eschatokyrios » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:29 pm UTC

It wasn't nothing at all for me. I only had the two lower wisdom teeth, the upper ones never grew.

I had the option of being totally put under, but that scared me more than the surgery itself, so I just took laughing gas. Apparantly it's like being drunk. I couldn't help but smile when I was in the chair, which I guess made it easier for the dentist to get at my mouth.

Getting the teeth out didn't hurt a bit, and I stopped bleeding enough that I could take the gauze out about three hours after I left the office. I got a delicious milkshake, but I couldn't really enjoy it because my mouth was still numb from the novacain and I couldn't get any into my mouth without spilling. I must've dribbled half that milkshake out of my numb mouth, what a waste :( But that was literally the only annoying thing about it. I was perfectly fine two days later.
კაცი ბჭობდა, ღმერთი იცინოდაო
k'atsi bch'obda, ghmerti itsinodao
"Man was discussing, God was laughing"
-Georgian proverb

Oort

Postby Oort » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:40 pm UTC

SmoothHeavy wrote:Don't worry about it. I had all four removed (impacted) via surgery. Just be sure to have them put you under general.

Why's that? My dentist told me they would put me under twilight sleep instead.

SmoothHeavy

Postby SmoothHeavy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:45 pm UTC

I may be thinking of the same thing. *goes to wikipedia*.

CorranH
A-dork-able

Postby CorranH » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:49 pm UTC

SmoothHeavy wrote:Don't worry about it. I had all four removed (impacted) via surgery. Just be sure to have them put you under general.

The soreness afterwards lasts about a week. For the first few days gogurt will be your friend.

QFT!

I had four wisdom teeth removed, and made sure I was put under general anesthesia. Surgery obviously was fine, and I wasn't in much pain afterwards. I had prescriptions for percoset and vicodin, which I tried mostly just because of the reps those drugs have. I hardly noticed them, pain-wise, and they certainly didn't 'fuck me up' or anything of the sort. So after that, I mostly ignored my pills, and got by fine.
It's a muon, you cunt - Robin Williams

dagron

Postby dagron » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:50 pm UTC

I had mine taken out before I ever felt them coming in. They took out all four at once, and they put me out. Gave me some kind of general anesthetic through an IV. I was out three seconds after they stuck my arm with it, and then I woke up in another room. It was weird because it felt like no time had passed. I was pretty loopy for the rest of the day, which I spent with ice on my face drinking milkshakes. Didn't need any painkillers, and I felt fine by the next day. No swelling, no pain, just had to keep the sockets/stitches clean. Really kind of a non-event.

Karrion

Postby Karrion » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:27 am UTC

I had all four wisdom teeth out a couple of years ago. Got it done under general, and afterward the surgeon told me they'd been really stubbon and he practically had to dynamite them out. Had some pretty bad swelling and soreness for the next week or so.

On Friday I have to go see a surgeon about possibly getting both my upper second molars out as well. Not sure if he'll want to do general or local - and I don't respond particularly well to local - so I'm a bit nervous about that.

Mister_Penguin

Postby Mister_Penguin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:57 am UTC

I got all three of mine out last Monday.
Not too bad. Although I managed to develop Mononucleosis 4 days after, which is double suck. My throat is really sore, so I still haven't had much solid food.
I did okay with just 600mg of Ibuprofin and an ice pack.

I'm a little nervous, because I still seem to have a hole on my right lower socket(in my cheek). How long does it take for the deeper holes to fill up. (This one was sideways and embedded in bone.)

I alpologize for any bad typing/spelling. The mono is still making me run a low grade fever and I'm a bit woozy.

Edit: I've been making super-shakes. Edy's Double Churned + Carnation Instant Breakfast + milk = awesome.
"Only on XKCD do we try to figure out which tessellating shape for burgers results in the least waste-meat." -aleflamedyud

notallama

Postby notallama » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:14 am UTC

Verator wrote:I had all 4 removed during spring break. They knocked me out, but I woke up as they were removing the first tooth, and they didn't give me enoguh painkiller. That's the strangest painful suckign feeling ever. After they were done, I took out my own IV because they were going too slow. I then after I got home forgot my mouth was full of blood since it was so numb, and go to talk to my mom and start having blood pour out of my mouth. I healed in about 2 days. Super-regenerative qualities ftw. The dissolving stitches tasted like shit though, and some blood ongealed in the bottoms under some barely formed skin, so I had a rotting taste in my mouth about a week later, until I scrubbed the holes raw and cleaned them out.

that happened to me, but the crazy purple knockout gas lasted until they were done tooth three.
the painkiller was working, but wearing off when they took out the fourth tooth. it didn't hurt, but i could feel them poking at stuff.

it's not too bad.
i had an excuse to live on nothing but fruit smoothies for a couple days. (fruit + juice in blender)

redthegreat

Postby redthegreat » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:04 am UTC

I just counted

18 teeth top row

17 on the bottom row, with two more under the gums at the back but very loose around the rums.

This means I have an extra set of wisdom teeth....

And I felt nothing.
Please don't correct my spelling, I am lisdexic and know it is probably wrong.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:11 am UTC

When I got mine out they gave me a choice to be "put into a light sleep" or just be numbed in the mouth (I took going under, cause while iv's are scary, needles in the mouth are more so!) They commented about how I didn't feel motion sickness before I went out, apparently it's weird that I only get it while reading in the car.

Either way top were under developed came out easy, bottoms were fully grown in and impacted, so those ones were a dozy to get out. I bled pretty much non-stop for 3 days, and had a lot of pain for a month, it was an annoying burny pain that was enough to wake me up from a pretty heavy slumber.

I was stuck just taking ibu-profen, cause the vicoden was too strong on my stomach and made me through up a lot. The anti-biotics they gave me were pretty nasty too. (I learned quickly why to take them with food, cause if you burp after taking one of those things on an empty stomach...yech, nasty).

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:19 am UTC

Because you people angered mods with your 79 threads about various parts of the face / body. HUZZAH!
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

Return to “General”