Does microsoft have a thing for squares?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

poochyena

Does microsoft have a thing for squares?

Postby poochyena » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:28 pm UTC

windows 8, internet explorer, their new logo, and the newest skype update, all mainly squares, and i hate square icons and stuff <.<

what does everyone else think about this? do you like having 99% of everything a square? or do you like smoothed corners?
why do you think microsoft is making everything square?

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Re: Does microsoft have a thing for squares?

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:58 pm UTC

I recognize the aesthetic appeal of Metro UI. They've been planning for this to be their style for at least five years.

It is likely that they paid a boatload of money to have a style developed that could be recognizably theirs, and Metro UI was the best of their options.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:26 pm UTC

Squares has been the "Windows" thing forever, it's kind of part of their brand identity.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:02 pm UTC

It's because you can't open a round window. Think about the hinges.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:40 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:It's because you can't open a round window. Think about the hinges.

This picture doesn't exist. Don't bother to click on the link.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:54 pm UTC

Putting the hinge on top of the window instead of in the gap with frame is cheating.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:05 am UTC

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:13 am UTC

This idea could equally be used for windows as well.

Garm

Postby Garm » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:18 am UTC

They were founded by one?
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:48 am UTC

Because if they use rounded corners/anything, they will drown in the ectoplasmic tears of Steve Jobs' ghost.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:05 pm UTC

Fuck all these rounded corners. So someone at some point has decided that all design should have rounded nice corners. Round buttons, round windows, rounded edges. Nice, sweet, fluffy. Like those people who constantly write *hugs* whenever you tell them something slightly bad. Fuck that. The world ain't sweet and fluffy, there's not round corners involved when someone stabs you and yanks your kidneys out in a dark alleyway. One day this fad of rounded corners will fade, maybe we'll get something different? Maybe stars will become a thing, maybe all windows shall be triangles or puzzle-pieces. WHAT DOES IT MATTER!!? People need to get off their high horse about "Oh me yarm those squares! look at them! So horribly pointy!" We'll some of us happen to be pointy! I can't help it! I'm a pointy person! FUCK YOU I REFUSE TO CONFORM!

*grumblegrumble I'm not a designer okay? Stop making me put rounded corners on everything, it's not a standard frame-option! It requires more work. Shut up. grumblegrumble*
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:55 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:
Ptolom wrote:It's because you can't open a round window. Think about the hinges.

This picture doesn't exist. Don't bother to click on the link.

To be fair, I think calling portholes windows is grounds for summary keelhauling on most ships (or at least a round of pummel-the-landlubber).
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:12 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:Fuck all these rounded corners. So someone at some point has decided that all design should have rounded nice corners. Round buttons, round windows, rounded edges. Nice, sweet, fluffy. Like those people who constantly write *hugs* whenever you tell them something slightly bad. Fuck that. The world ain't sweet and fluffy, there's not round corners involved when someone stabs you and yanks your kidneys out in a dark alleyway. One day this fad of rounded corners will fade, maybe we'll get something different? Maybe stars will become a thing, maybe all windows shall be triangles or puzzle-pieces. WHAT DOES IT MATTER!!? People need to get off their high horse about "Gee Willikers those squares! look at them! So horribly pointy!" We'll some of us happen to be pointy! I can't help it! I'm a pointy person! FUCK YOU I REFUSE TO CONFORM!

*grumblegrumble I'm not a designer okay? Stop making me put rounded corners on everything, it's not a standard frame-option! It requires more work. Shut up. grumblegrumble*

I agree; circles don't even tesselate without making ugly little concave diamonds.I use a tiling window manager, I fucking hate rounded corners.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:55 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:Fuck all these rounded corners. So someone at some point has decided that all design should have rounded nice corners. Round buttons, round windows, rounded edges. Nice, sweet, fluffy. Like those people who constantly write *hugs* whenever you tell them something slightly bad. Fuck that. The world ain't sweet and fluffy, there's not round corners involved when someone stabs you and yanks your kidneys out in a dark alleyway. One day this fad of rounded corners will fade, maybe we'll get something different? Maybe stars will become a thing, maybe all windows shall be triangles or puzzle-pieces. WHAT DOES IT MATTER!!? People need to get off their high horse about "Gee Willikers those squares! look at them! So horribly pointy!" We'll some of us happen to be pointy! I can't help it! I'm a pointy person! FUCK YOU I REFUSE TO CONFORM!

After reading that, my new goal in life is to one day become a corner so sharp, I eviscerate myself.
I looked out across the river today …

ptt

Postby ptt » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:51 am UTC

microsoft killed design. All desctops will be equal.

Return to “General”