Dealing with hate.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Lawsome
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 7:35 pm UTC

Dealing with hate.

Postby Lawsome » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

Basically, anyone who does anything creative get's to enjoy that sweet warm glow that is hate. Especially if said hate can be channelled through an impersonal medium like a review or the internet. Share examples where you have had your face firmly planted in the backside of someone's hate, or when something you love has been bathed with hate! Lets all crown together and hate the hateful thing back! Because that always solves the problem!

I would like to start of by displaying my hate of XKCD sucks hate of XKCD: http://xkcdsucks.blogspot.co.uk/ I just... I just want to strangle them so much...
Spoiler:
Image
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Rosewinsall wrote:DOWN WITH CERTAINTY!

Are you certain of that?

Moose Anus wrote:I let my wife think I'm watching porn in the bathroom late at night, but I'm really playing Dwarf Fortress instead.

Dark Avorian
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:48 pm UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Dark Avorian » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:58 pm UTC

I used to appreciate them to a degree... but they've devolved so hard that they are now a hypocritical lump of sadness.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.


meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

Lawsome
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 7:35 pm UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Lawsome » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:12 pm UTC

I don't see the need for it. They claim that they are trying to "help" Munroe. But that's not what they're there for. They don't think "Ooh, I must really help him improve that post." they think "Ooh, I really want to voice how much I hate this post.". Hence the overall tone of the website, I do not respect that view.
Spoiler:
Image
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Rosewinsall wrote:DOWN WITH CERTAINTY!

Are you certain of that?

Moose Anus wrote:I let my wife think I'm watching porn in the bathroom late at night, but I'm really playing Dwarf Fortress instead.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:38 pm UTC

I don't hate things, but sorta dislike:

-The ignorance + arrogance combo
-Minorities using their status as a license to be assholes

User avatar
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?
Posts: 2023
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:41 am UTC
Location: Ciudad de Panamá, Panamá

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Weeks » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:06 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:-Majorities using their status as a license to be assholes
How peculiar, I dislike this too
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School
Posts: 1374
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:12 pm UTC

How about this?

Things I dislike:

Assholes.
I looked out across the river today …

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:43 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:Things I dislike:

Assholes.


I dislike minorities-using-their-bonus-oppression-points-to-be-assholes more than unabashed assholes, hence the specific mention.

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Ptolom » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:00 am UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:How about this?

Things I dislike:

Assholes.

You say that now, but what else are you going to crap out of when they're gone?

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School
Posts: 1374
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:02 am UTC

Ptolom wrote:
Radical_Initiator wrote:How about this?

Things I dislike:

Assholes.

You say that now, but what else are you going to crap out of when they're gone?

Hehe; I was originally going to put "Things I dislike: Assholes. People who are assholes, and actual assholes; of the two, though, the latter actually has a use."
I looked out across the river today …

The Cat

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby The Cat » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:33 am UTC

We're all deuterostomes at one point or another. It's unfortunate that some of us failed to develop the other end.
Last edited by The Cat on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4399
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:18 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:I dislike minorities-using-their-bonus-oppression-points-to-be-assholes more than unabashed assholes, hence the specific mention.

Somebody call me when Menacing Spike inevitably hates himself into oblivion.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

ApexPredator
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:13 pm UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby ApexPredator » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:31 pm UTC

I try rather hard not to hate things, it doesn't always work out. The reasoning behind this though is that I find the destructive nature of the emotion overly wasteful in many situations and therefore should be used very sparingly.

I deal with my dislike and rising hatred of something by disassembling the situation and inspecting it from a different viewpoint, most often the opposite of my own.

The thing I dislike the most however is when someone pitches in on a situation or tries to provide a solution without making an attempt to correctly understand what is going on first. This most commonly manifests for me on help forums, when the person providing the solution doesn't fully read someones post and provides an answer that completely misses the point. I struggle with this because there is no angle I can look at this from that makes it okay.

User avatar
el matematico
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:20 pm UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby el matematico » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:55 am UTC

When people ask me what I do (I study math), the usual response is something like "I hate math, never understood it". I have no idea how can someone think it's an appropriate response, and makes conversations awkward from the beginning, at least for me.
This is my blog (in Spanish). It's not perfect, but it's mine. http://falaci.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Ptolom » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:32 am UTC

el matematico wrote:When people ask me what I do (I study math), the usual response is something like "I hate math, never understood it". I have no idea how can someone think it's an appropriate response, and makes conversations awkward from the beginning, at least for me.

I hate conversations, never understood them.

User avatar
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.
Posts: 2043
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:18 am UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Deva » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:16 am UTC

ApexPredator wrote:The thing I dislike the most however is when someone pitches in on a situation or tries to provide a solution without making an attempt to correctly understand what is going on first. This most commonly manifests for me on help forums, when the person providing the solution doesn't fully read someones post and provides an answer that completely misses the point. I struggle with this because there is no angle I can look at this from that makes it okay.

- Rushes. May be overly eager. Might be restricted by time.

- Sees part of the problem. Experienced that too. Uses those circumstances.

- Reads it fully. Does something else. Forgets details. Plans without that information.

- Wanders, mentally-speaking. Invents Solution A. Realizes a flaw. Fixes it with Solution B. Contains another issue. Switches to Solution C. Continues through Solution Z. Realizes the gap between Solution Z and the problem. Reroutes back to Solution A. (Has written stories like that. Turned out poorly.)

- Interprets it differently. Views X as the problem, not Y. Could have addressed the point from their perspective.

Do any of those suffice?

el matematico wrote:When people ask me what I do (I study math), the usual response is something like "I hate math, never understood it". I have no idea how can someone think it's an appropriate response, and makes conversations awkward from the beginning, at least for me.

Shrugs. Remained on topic. Meant changing the subject abruptly or falling silent. Asks what they do, usually. Might explain the joys of mathemtics. Opts for sympathy sometimes.

(Analogy: Played a card game once. Knew the rules. Did not. Refused to fully explain. Drew cards for rule infractions. Gained more by not saying a specific phrase. Compounded by not saying the phrase after drawing cards for not saying the specific phrase. Held half the deck. Left. Feels like mathematics to someone, probably. Causes one problem. Leads to more.)
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Роберт » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:38 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Radical_Initiator wrote:Things I dislike:

Assholes.


I dislike minorities-using-their-bonus-oppression-points-to-be-assholes more than unabashed assholes, hence the specific mention.

I hate straw-feminists. And the analogy for other minority groups.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School
Posts: 1374
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Radical_Initiator » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:41 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:
Radical_Initiator wrote:Things I dislike:

Assholes.


I dislike minorities-using-their-bonus-oppression-points-to-be-assholes more than unabashed assholes, hence the specific mention.

I hate straw-feminists. And the analogy for other minority groups.

I also hate straw feminists. Mine keeps getting blown over by a stiff breeze.
I looked out across the river today …

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:55 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:I also hate straw feminists. Mine keeps getting blown over by a stiff breeze.


Yes. I'm sure if you ignore the existence of extremists really hard they will go away. No people sharing your views can possibly be disreputable, no sir. Clearly the world is entirely dichotomic. You and your group = Good, the others = Evil. Well, I don't fault you for thinking like that - after all, it's human nature.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School
Posts: 1374
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Radical_Initiator » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:01 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Radical_Initiator wrote:I also hate straw feminists. Mine keeps getting blown over by a stiff breeze.


Yes. I'm sure if you ignore the existence of extremists really hard they will go away. No people sharing your views can possibly be disreputable, no sir. Clearly the world is entirely dichotomic. You and your group = Good, the others = Evil. Well, I don't fault you for thinking like that - after all, it's human nature.

Actually, that was just a joke about a person or person-like figure made from actual straw. Sorry about that; my jokes aren't going too well today.
I looked out across the river today …

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:02 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:
Radical_Initiator wrote:I also hate straw feminists. Mine keeps getting blown over by a stiff breeze.


Yes. I'm sure if you ignore the existence of extremists really hard they will go away. No people sharing your views can possibly be disreputable, no sir. Clearly the world is entirely dichotomic. You and your group = Good, the others = Evil. Well, I don't fault you for thinking like that - after all, it's human nature.

Actually, that was just a joke about a person or person-like figure made from actual straw. Sorry about that; my jokes aren't going too well today.


Oh, then address my haughty comment to the person you quoted instead. Apologies.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Роберт » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:27 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Yes. I'm sure if you ignore the existence of extremists really hard they will go away. No people sharing your views can possibly be disreputable, no sir. Clearly the world is entirely dichotomic. You and your group = Good, the others = Evil. Well, I don't fault you for thinking like that - after all, it's human nature.

...erm. Okay. Have fun with yourself.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

KrytenKoro
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby KrytenKoro » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:44 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:Actually, that was just a joke about a person or person-like figure made from actual straw. Sorry about that; my jokes aren't going too well today.

I have never been able to figure out how to indicate that the strawperson is a feminist.

I always end up giving up and disguising the strawperson as a crow. I may have lost the battle, but at least I...hmm, I guess I lost the war, too.

(I think I might be accidentally forum-stalking you now, by the way.)
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

User avatar
AndToBeLoved
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:04 am UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby AndToBeLoved » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:29 am UTC

The worst is to be attacked with hate when you're simply trying to help someone. I was nearly banned from another forum for this. Someone had posted that they thought they may be depressed, and was wondering what to do about it. Nearly everyone was telling them to go to the doctor so that they could get on some antidepressants, which is fine and is to be expected. As someone who is more Eastern medicine-minded, however, I suggested that the OP check out a Naturopathic doctor. The posters reamed me a new one for this. Reamed. They said that depression is a serious issue that shouldn't be treated with "fairy dust and arrowhead root" or something to that effect. This upset me, as I've devoted a lot of time, money, and energy to train to become an energy therapist and to learn alternative therapy techniques. I never should have used the word "energy therapist", however...reamed another new one. In the end, a mod gave me a warning and later closed the thread because they themselves were studying to become a surgeon, and didn't appreciate my suggestions of a more natural alternative. I just...I've never encountered that much hate. I even specified that I wasn't totally against Western medicine - Eastern and Western medicines combined can be very powerful and effective. But, I suppose when you challenge the majority view, you're bound to get told.

Ah, that felt good. I've been carrying that around for too long.
Image

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Carlington » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:01 am UTC

If they themselves are studying to be a surgeon, they should recognise that a big part of being a doctor is working with your patients and catering to their needs. If a patient requests some sort of alternative treatment, and there are no signs pointing to harm that could be caused by undergoing this alternative treatment, then, IMO, doctor and patient can work together to reach a satisfactory combination of the two styles of treatment. It's no different that combining, say, traditional physiotherapy with some newer, less-orthodox forms of treatment, like hydrotherapy, or some types of massage.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Dark Avorian
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:48 pm UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Dark Avorian » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:12 am UTC

Possibly unwanted thoughts on this.

Spoiler:
AndToBeLoved wrote:The worst is to be attacked with hate when you're simply trying to help someone. I was nearly banned from another forum for this. Someone had posted that they thought they may be depressed, and was wondering what to do about it. Nearly everyone was telling them to go to the doctor so that they could get on some antidepressants, which is fine and is to be expected. As someone who is more Eastern medicine-minded, however, I suggested that the OP check out a Naturopathic doctor. The posters reamed me a new one for this. Reamed. They said that depression is a serious issue that shouldn't be treated with "fairy dust and arrowhead root" or something to that effect. This upset me, as I've devoted a lot of time, money, and energy to train to become an energy therapist and to learn alternative therapy techniques. I never should have used the word "energy therapist", however...reamed another new one. In the end, a mod gave me a warning and later closed the thread because they themselves were studying to become a surgeon, and didn't appreciate my suggestions of a more natural alternative. I just...I've never encountered that much hate. I even specified that I wasn't totally against Western medicine - Eastern and Western medicines combined can be very powerful and effective. But, I suppose when you challenge the majority view, you're bound to get told.

Ah, that felt good. I've been carrying that around for too long.


At least for me, part of the problem is less suggesting this as a solution and more the people who (a) say this is the only way to do it or (b) really stick to traditional explanations of phenomena. Imma focus on (b) because I think the former is self explanatory, at least for me, I quickly lose respect for the pseudoscientific, I don't believe in energy, chi, whathaveyou, so when people spout those explanations I rapidly lose respect for the treatment. If you want to say it's an unknown but robustly anecdotally or even more than anecdotally supported technique with unknown mechanism that may be placebo, I'm fine, and if you're saying other explanations to protect placebo posibilities, fine, but I draw a fine line.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.


meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

User avatar
AndToBeLoved
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:04 am UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby AndToBeLoved » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:57 am UTC

Dark Avorian wrote:Possibly unwanted thoughts on this.

Spoiler:
AndToBeLoved wrote:The worst is to be attacked with hate when you're simply trying to help someone. I was nearly banned from another forum for this. Someone had posted that they thought they may be depressed, and was wondering what to do about it. Nearly everyone was telling them to go to the doctor so that they could get on some antidepressants, which is fine and is to be expected. As someone who is more Eastern medicine-minded, however, I suggested that the OP check out a Naturopathic doctor. The posters reamed me a new one for this. Reamed. They said that depression is a serious issue that shouldn't be treated with "fairy dust and arrowhead root" or something to that effect. This upset me, as I've devoted a lot of time, money, and energy to train to become an energy therapist and to learn alternative therapy techniques. I never should have used the word "energy therapist", however...reamed another new one. In the end, a mod gave me a warning and later closed the thread because they themselves were studying to become a surgeon, and didn't appreciate my suggestions of a more natural alternative. I just...I've never encountered that much hate. I even specified that I wasn't totally against Western medicine - Eastern and Western medicines combined can be very powerful and effective. But, I suppose when you challenge the majority view, you're bound to get told.

Ah, that felt good. I've been carrying that around for too long.


At least for me, part of the problem is less suggesting this as a solution and more the people who (a) say this is the only way to do it or (b) really stick to traditional explanations of phenomena. Imma focus on (b) because I think the former is self explanatory, at least for me, I quickly lose respect for the pseudoscientific, I don't believe in energy, chi, whathaveyou, so when people spout those explanations I rapidly lose respect for the treatment. If you want to say it's an unknown but robustly anecdotally or even more than anecdotally supported technique with unknown mechanism that may be placebo, I'm fine, and if you're saying other explanations to protect placebo posibilities, fine, but I draw a fine line.


I totally understand what you mean. That's why I merely make suggestions to people and leave it at that. Nothing should be crammed down anyone's throats! That being said, it's a bit difficult for me to understand how some people can't/don't believe in energy. The concept of energy exists in both scientific and non-scientific circles. As far as the placebo effect goes, I'm sure that it's present in both traditional and non-traditional medical settings. Totally not disputing that! However, as I've had experience doing distance treatments and seeing spectacular results even though the receiver wasn't aware of my intentions, I cannot chalk all healings up to the placebo effect. That's just my experience.

P.S. I want to thank you for being respectful and...well, not calling me a quack. ;)
Image

Dark Avorian
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:48 pm UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Dark Avorian » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:06 am UTC

Yeah, you seem like one of the very reasonable ones.

Spoiler:
Although, that energy argument made me cringe. Once you get far enough, energy is so totally demystified, as simply a necessary conserved quantity that must arise from some calculations in a system symmetric with respect to time, that I can't think of it as a wonderful force anymore. Energy simply is a mathematical entity that must emerge from an isolated system and be constant provided we take account of everything, so...yeah, less than likely to be mystical. It also plays into my dislike of imprecision in language when it harms science, namely because I'd much rather we use a specific term for what you are/claim to be doing so that if a mechanism ever becomes clear, we have words that mean something.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.


meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Роберт » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

AndToBeLoved wrote:
Dark Avorian wrote:Possibly unwanted thoughts on this.

Spoiler:
AndToBeLoved wrote:The worst is to be attacked with hate when you're simply trying to help someone. I was nearly banned from another forum for this. Someone had posted that they thought they may be depressed, and was wondering what to do about it. Nearly everyone was telling them to go to the doctor so that they could get on some antidepressants, which is fine and is to be expected. As someone who is more Eastern medicine-minded, however, I suggested that the OP check out a Naturopathic doctor. The posters reamed me a new one for this. Reamed. They said that depression is a serious issue that shouldn't be treated with "fairy dust and arrowhead root" or something to that effect. This upset me, as I've devoted a lot of time, money, and energy to train to become an energy therapist and to learn alternative therapy techniques. I never should have used the word "energy therapist", however...reamed another new one. In the end, a mod gave me a warning and later closed the thread because they themselves were studying to become a surgeon, and didn't appreciate my suggestions of a more natural alternative. I just...I've never encountered that much hate. I even specified that I wasn't totally against Western medicine - Eastern and Western medicines combined can be very powerful and effective. But, I suppose when you challenge the majority view, you're bound to get told.

Ah, that felt good. I've been carrying that around for too long.


At least for me, part of the problem is less suggesting this as a solution and more the people who (a) say this is the only way to do it or (b) really stick to traditional explanations of phenomena. Imma focus on (b) because I think the former is self explanatory, at least for me, I quickly lose respect for the pseudoscientific, I don't believe in energy, chi, whathaveyou, so when people spout those explanations I rapidly lose respect for the treatment. If you want to say it's an unknown but robustly anecdotally or even more than anecdotally supported technique with unknown mechanism that may be placebo, I'm fine, and if you're saying other explanations to protect placebo posibilities, fine, but I draw a fine line.


I totally understand what you mean. That's why I merely make suggestions to people and leave it at that. Nothing should be crammed down anyone's throats! That being said, it's a bit difficult for me to understand how some people can't/don't believe in energy. The concept of energy exists in both scientific and non-scientific circles. As far as the placebo effect goes, I'm sure that it's present in both traditional and non-traditional medical settings. Totally not disputing that! However, as I've had experience doing distance treatments and seeing spectacular results even though the receiver wasn't aware of my intentions, I cannot chalk all healings up to the placebo effect. That's just my experience.

P.S. I want to thank you for being respectful and...well, not calling me a quack. ;)

With all due respect intended, if there haven't been rigorous, double-blind studies done, and the alleged mechanism goes against years of rigorous experimentation and testing, it's probably just you and others falling victim to some of the all to common cognitive biases and logical fallacies that make you think it works when it doesn't.

As to the anger/hate, it I'm not sure where that comes from unless you were actually pushing your own services. If you were pushing your own services, they might have assumed that you actually knew it was quackery and been angry at you for taking advantage of people.

Otherwise, that's like getting angry at someone who says "I'll be praying for you" when you don't believe in their god. So? It's not going to do any harm. Getting angry at that would be dumb.

But if someone is knowingly faking healings at their prayer meetings to drum up support, fame and/or money: yes, it makes sense to get pissed.

I hope that makes sense! IOW, I'm pretty sure I agree with you that the anger/hate was baffling and completely unwarranted. You were only trying to help, and not suggesting anything directly harmful.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:28 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:With all due respect intended, if there haven't been rigorous, double-blind studies done, and the alleged mechanism goes against years of rigorous experimentation and testing, it's probably just you and others falling victim to some of the all to common cognitive biases and logical fallacies that make you think it works when it doesn't.
And the reason Роберт says that is.. well, the rigorous, double-blind studies done show it has no statistically relevant effect... but that if it did, the overall effect would be negative.

This is an update to a series of tests that showed that there might be something to it, but it required more testing to verify. The subsequent tests could not reproduce the original study's results.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Cat

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby The Cat » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 pm UTC

With all due respect intended
:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-Id_fuXFA

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Роберт » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:52 pm UTC

The Cat wrote:
With all due respect intended
:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-Id_fuXFA

I was dead serious with it. Most people believe things that are wrong. I'm sure I do. That doesn't make us somehow not worthy of politeness and common courtesy.

I don't automatically think you're an idiot if you believe in homeopathy. I'm just fairly confident you're wrong on that front. Same for many other alternative medicines. Of course, I'm also suspicious of a lot of the current accepted medical practices, too. :)
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

The Cat

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby The Cat » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:02 pm UTC

:D = Joke. "intended" lols. lets lighten it up and move on...with all due respect= bless your heart, or someone beginning a statement with "honestly". pip pip! old boy.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Роберт » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:07 pm UTC

The Cat wrote::D = Joke. "intended" lols. lets lighten it up and move on...with all due respect= bless your heart, or someone beginning a statement with "honestly". pip pip! old boy.

You're not allowed to joke about that. It's in the Geneva convention, look it up! :D
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

The Cat

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby The Cat » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

:D

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby Belial » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:19 pm UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:
Radical_Initiator wrote:Actually, that was just a joke about a person or person-like figure made from actual straw. Sorry about that; my jokes aren't going too well today.

I have never been able to figure out how to indicate that the strawperson is a feminist.

I always end up giving up and disguising the strawperson as a crow.


Little did you know that all crows are feminists. They've been commenting on this shit for ages, and are very frustrated that you're not getting the message.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am UTC
Location: behind you

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby The Great Hippo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:05 pm UTC

AndToBeLoved wrote:The worst is to be attacked with hate when you're simply trying to help someone. I was nearly banned from another forum for this. Someone had posted that they thought they may be depressed, and was wondering what to do about it. Nearly everyone was telling them to go to the doctor so that they could get on some antidepressants, which is fine and is to be expected. As someone who is more Eastern medicine-minded, however, I suggested that the OP check out a Naturopathic doctor. The posters reamed me a new one for this. Reamed. They said that depression is a serious issue that shouldn't be treated with "fairy dust and arrowhead root" or something to that effect. This upset me, as I've devoted a lot of time, money, and energy to train to become an energy therapist and to learn alternative therapy techniques. I never should have used the word "energy therapist", however...reamed another new one. In the end, a mod gave me a warning and later closed the thread because they themselves were studying to become a surgeon, and didn't appreciate my suggestions of a more natural alternative. I just...I've never encountered that much hate. I even specified that I wasn't totally against Western medicine - Eastern and Western medicines combined can be very powerful and effective. But, I suppose when you challenge the majority view, you're bound to get told.

Ah, that felt good. I've been carrying that around for too long.
I understand, and agree that it was wrong for people to attack you for merely trying to help. I'm sorry that you experienced that.

That being said, there's something I want to express in return (isn't there always?). Spoilered, because it is potentially antagonistic, and I don't wish to antagonize. Also, suicide trigger warning:
Spoiler:
When you believe something can work miracles, that creates risk. Western medicine deals with this risk with scientific rigor and directness: At all junctures, inform the patient what the situation is, what the medicine can do, and what seems to be the most likely outcome. Alternative medicine does not have this benefit, because it does not have the power of scientific assessment behind it. Therefore, alternative medicine is at greater risk to convince people it has a magic pill that can cure all their problems.

One of the reasons people are passionate about this issue is because lives are on the line. I know of at least one person who suffered from severe depression, decided homeopathy would be better than antidepressants, and ended up taking their own life. One lesson we can learn from this: Don't ever stop taking SRIs cold turkey. But another lesson: Why did they suddenly stop taking SRIs despite being told you can't suddenly stop taking SRIs? Because they were convinced homeopathy was a magic pill. Belief in magic pills can kill people.

I doubt alternative medicine practitioners want to sell us magic pills. I seriously doubt you do. But western medicine became western medicine because it learned how to reduce the chance of anyone mistaking it for a magic pill. It uses scientific rigor--heavy oversight--and countless regulatory bodies--to make sure that at every step, all the information is accurate and everyone knows precisely what every pill can do, and more importantly, can not do. Alternative medicine doesn't have this benefit--which means people coming to alternative medicine are at a greater risk to think alternative medicine can do things it cannot.

Now, if you are a responsible practitioner of alternative medicine, you probably know this already, and one of the things that makes you responsible is that you make sure no one who comes to you thinks they are buying a magic pill that will solve all their problems. You tell them the limits of what your medicine can do--you tell them what it can't do--and if you think there's a problem you can't address, you send them to someone who you think can. And if you do these things, I have no contempt for your practice; moreso, I hold contempt for those who would treat you with contempt.

But I also understand why they would treat you with contempt--because our tolerance for different points of view is reversely proportional to the stakes we are dealing with. And the stakes in medicine are very, very high. Lives are on the line, and if you are not very careful, terrible things can happen.

Their hate might not be righteous, but it is comprehendable. Maybe they know someone who died pursuing a magic pill. I've known of a few merely by proxy--and just from that alone, it makes not hating these things very hard.

The Cat

Re: Dealing with hate.

Postby The Cat » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:41 pm UTC

Oh Shit, now you've done it! I'm actually curious why it took so long.


Spoiler:
kelimutu-water-buffalo.jpg


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests