Nothing Short of A Miracle.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

PandaFluff
Location: NH 9 months out of the year and PA the rest of the time

Nothing Short of A Miracle.

Postby PandaFluff » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:56 am UTC

As my first real post on the xkcd board, I think I will share a story that's particular close to my heart right now.

I was about 5 years old when my parents decided to get rid of our dog. He chewed up everything he could find, and he was becoming less of a house pet each day that we had him. I wasn't broken up about it, but I was disappointed when my parents firmly stated, "No more pets for a while."

Only a few months later, I was playing in my room when my mother shouted from downstairs, "Quick! Come down here! There's a cat in here!" My first thought was that my sister was pretending to be a cat. I reluctantly left my play to go watch the spectacle.

She was a small cat with a full coat of black fur mixed with varying shades of gray. She sat calmly on the arm of our couch as if she was just carrying out a normal part of her daily life. I stopped abruptly when I saw her, not sure what to make of her. "Where did she come from?" I asked.

"She followed Daddy in when he came home from work," replied my mom.

"Can we keep her?" was the question that was digging at me underneath the surprise at her arrival.

"She's probably someone else's cat. We're going to have to try to find her owner first," came my Dad's reply.

My dad took her far up the street, hoping that she would be able to find her home among the others in the neighborhood. He walked briskly home, and yet when he arrived at the door, there she was again, waiting to be let it. It was at that time that we knew she was here to stay. We placed an ad in the paper trying to find her owner, but no one ever came forward.

The vet suggested that she might have been feral, since she had not been fixed and was somewhat unkempt. This fascinated me. Here was this cat, born outside, with a family and a life that we didn't know about, and she had chosen to come live with us. To me, it was as if she was destined to be with us.

As the years went by, we came to appreciate what a truly remarkable cat she was. She never once bit or scratched anyone, and her patience was always astounding. She was quiet and affectionate, a soft and loving presence in our home that we quickly came to love.

As we grew older together, Jasmine and I formed a close bond. We spent a lot of time together. I have never known a cat that loved to be pet as much as her. I would spend hours petting her and sitting with her, happy to have someone who I felt close to. Sometimes I even felt as though she knew when I was upset or sick, because those were the times when she would become more affectionate, purring and sitting with me in what felt like an effort to cheer me up.

Her gentleness was almost surpassed by her skill as a hunter. Several times a week, she would bring back mice, birds, chipmunks, and rabbits, leaving them at our doorstep instead of eating them. To watch her hunting was truly fascinating. She would wait with such patience near a hole or an opening where she smelled prey, and she would pounce at just the right moment. She spent many hours outdoors, and I knew that part of her would always belong to the wilderness.

She was always a fighter. She survived six months in an appartment during a move, fought through a painful abscessed tooth, and faced each day's challenges with unmatched patience and courage.

Two years ago, she developed a rash on her leg, causing her great discomfort. The vet suggested that it was an allergic reaction, so we treated it with ointments, changed her diet, and tried different pills.

A few months ago it became clear that the skin irritation was a result of tumors that now cover her left leg and shoulder. It is too late for treatments, and we have come to terms with the fact that she is losing her battle with cancer.

She is getting weaker, thinner, and yet she is still fighting to live her life as she wants to live it. She still catches mice, leaving them at our door as if it took no effort at all to catch them. She maintains her patient and affectionate demeanor, even though it is requiring more and more effort for her to carry out her daily life.

Knowing that I will have to say goodbye to her soon has made me reflect on her life, and everything she has brought to us. She's been with us for 14 wonderful years. Her life before that is a mystery and will always remain as such, and yet it feels like she has always been a part of our family.

There are few words to describe her impact on me, but I can say this. Her presence in my life has been and continues to be nothing short of a miracle.
PF

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:00 am UTC

Reads like a novel.

Cats own.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Plamo

Postby Plamo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:25 am UTC

Cat's can be wonderful like that. I have my own story, but I wont be sharing it right now. I hope your cat lives out the rest of it's days in happiness :)
Uselessnesses... what a silly word.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:33 am UTC

That made my eyes all watery.

Your cat sounds amazingly cool, I'm glad she found you and your family.

Spot

Postby Spot » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:24 am UTC

That's quite a touching story. I think you should print that out and share it with your friends and family. It's too heart-wrenching to just leave on the internet. Also, I think your cat deserves a nice petting right now.

Shadow Tyrant

Postby Shadow Tyrant » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:23 am UTC

Is it bad that I don't feel anything after reading that [and only going back and reading the whole thing after reading the "aww so touching" comments]?
Trade your old video games for new ones with Goozex!

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:27 am UTC

My dad found an abandoned (pregnant too) cat down at the hardware store when he went down to get a chuck-key, we kept her, she had the babies, we found homes for them and kept her - best part - her name is Chuckie.
=]

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:08 am UTC

Shadow Tyrant wrote:Is it bad that I don't feel anything after reading that [and only going back and reading the whole thing after reading the "aww so touching" comments]?

Not really, I didn't feel anything - I just thought that it was well written and read like a good novel. And that cats own.

IF this doesn't make you feel anything then there is something wrong with you.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:22 am UTC

thats very touching. i adore cats.

but the first thing that came to mind was "oh my! Has Fluff been fornicating with Pandas?!?"

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:26 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
Shadow Tyrant wrote:Is it bad that I don't feel anything after reading that [and only going back and reading the whole thing after reading the "aww so touching" comments]?

Not really, I didn't feel anything - I just thought that it was well written and read like a good novel. And that cats own.

damn you Gelsamel. *sniff* :(

Verator

Postby Verator » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:33 am UTC

Almost the exact same story as my dog Cinnibar, she died a few years ago though.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

Shadow Tyrant

Postby Shadow Tyrant » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:34 am UTC

...You named your dog after an island in a Pokemon game?

Shadow Tyrant

Postby Shadow Tyrant » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:39 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:

...Nope, nothing. I must be dead inside or something.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:40 am UTC

Shadow Tyrant wrote:...You named your dog after an island in a Pokemon game?

cinnabar

1. a mineral, mercuric sulfide, HgS, occurring in red crystals or masses: the principal ore of mercury.
2. red mercuric sulfide, used as a pigment.
3. bright red; vermillion.

the spellings a bit differetn but i'm going to bet its a red-ish dog.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Verator

Postby Verator » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:40 am UTC

Nope, mostly black, with white and brown secndary colorings, I'll find a pic
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:44 am UTC

I also didn't feel much, can you elaborate on the title?

/jerk-ish
=]

Bondolon

Postby Bondolon » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:22 am UTC

Some animals feel like humans do. It's bizarre to say, but I have had two pets in my life that I would consider friends. I have two rats now, and, to be honest, they suck as pets. Don't get me wrong, I love them. They are my ratty monkey boys (they're rats), and they're like children to me, but they don't return much of the love I give them. I'm glad to have them, and I try as best I can to make them happy, but something lacks. Basically, cats and dogs will love you, and can communicate with you. They are social, smart, and wonderful to have around. The best part is, if you think they like you, they do. They are capable of letting you know how they feel, and that is the remarkable part; they feel. If there are sentient life forms on this Earth other than humans, it's as "important" to make them have good lives as it is for us to. And, if there are any among pets, at least two of them are cats and dogs. If you love the cat, and it sounds like you do, treat it with all of the love you've ever given it, and make it feel happy. When it dies, rest assured in the fact that a good friend of yours loved you and lived with you, and, should it still "exist", still loves you, because you loved it. Companionship is a rare thing in this world, and to find a real companion, regardless of race, is a truly amazing thing. You sound like you love that cat, and to show it that you do is the greatest happiness you could ever bestow on it (human or animal). Death comes to us all, and the best thing we can ever hope for is to be actually happy in life, and in that vein, pets have a leg up on us. Show it you love it, and know that you love it. Life is pathetic, unwavering, uncaring. Fortunately, love doesn't give a damn about life, and basically always wins.

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:20 am UTC

That's pretty tough. My last cat died of cancer too (lung cancer to be precise).

On the monday of the week she died I accidentally locked myself out. I had to wait for a few hours before someone who could let me in would get there. She kept me company, and since I didn't have anything better to do, I took a picture of her with my mobile phone. Little did I know it'd be the last picture anyone would ever take of her.

At the time we didn't know yet anything was really wrong with her, but in retrospect she doesn't look too good on that picture. Hindsight, etc.
Last edited by Unforgiven on Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:24 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"
"It's Japan. Of course they will."

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:23 am UTC

:cry:

Kles

Postby Kles » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:42 am UTC

Awww... that's so touching. I'm sorry to hear that about your cat. I have two cats that I love dearly who are always great company. I had a third... but my neighbour poisoned him. :( I feel really sad every time I see his grave.

I'm glad you've enjoyed your pet so much. :)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:32 pm UTC

tl;dr

dogs>cats
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:tl;dr

dogs>cats

my name is Phenriz and i approve this message ;)
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:19 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Reads like copypasta.

Cats own.

Fix'd. Copypasta is sad but delicious copypasta.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Rasputin

Postby Rasputin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:55 pm UTC

Sounds like an awesome cat.

I own a nice cat, but I swear she's the most annoying effin cat on the face of the planet.
The Immortal One.

Lanjolo

Postby Lanjolo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:57 pm UTC

Weird, a week ago a cat randomly stumbled inside my house through the open door. It was funny when I and my friend were sitting on the computer and suddenly hear steps nearby. Ah, it's only the cat we notice. Wait a second, I don't have a cat! The cat then proceeded to run back from where it had come. We had a good laugh afterwards.

Kles wrote:Awww... that's so touching. I'm sorry to hear that about your cat. I have two cats that I love dearly who are always great company. I had a third... but my neighbour poisoned him. :( I feel really sad every time I see his grave.

Your neighbour poisoned your cat!? How/why did that happen?

PandaFluff

Postby PandaFluff » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:25 pm UTC

Thanks everyone for your replies and kind words!

Presently, my friend Catherine is getting lots of treats, milk, cheese, and all the other stuff you really aren't supposed to feed cats but they love it anyway. We spend lots of time with her and are doing our best to make her as comfortable as possible.

August has brought me a lot of free time, and so I've been doing some writing. I wanted to write this for my first post on the board because it is something that's been on my mind a lot lately, and it's a personal story that a lot of people can relate to. Also, I've frequented forums in the past, and I always really enjoy the conversations and the people I get to meet. I'm hoping that this forum will be just as enjoyable, and I hope that I can contribute stuff that you guys enjoy, too.
PF

arbivark

a cat like that you don't eat all at once

Postby arbivark » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:18 pm UTC

Lanjolo wrote:
Kles wrote:Awww... that's so touching. I'm sorry to hear that about your cat. I have two cats that I love dearly who are always great company. I had a third... but my neighbour poisoned him. :( I feel really sad every time I see his grave.

The joy of the indefinite antecedant

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:08 am UTC

Phenriz wrote:

dogs>cats

Don't. Be. Douches. That is all.

I'm so sorry, PandaFluff. Some pets are really special. :\
You don't make them touch!

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:40 am UTC

i knew someone else must have been thinking that! I thought you were a spambot. Sorry about your cat, you should probably put her to sleep. It's good though that you found something that has touched you so.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:26 am UTC

Phenriz wrote:

dogs>cats

My name is Unforgiven, cat-lover, and I will hunt you down and kill you in your sleep. :P
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"

"It's Japan. Of course they will."

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:19 am UTC

One of my cats has been missing for two weeks. It's happened before, but it sucks. Kinda worrisome.

Sounds like you have a great cat there, PandaFluff.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

PandaFluff

Postby PandaFluff » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:52 pm UTC

Girlâ„¢ wrote:
Phenriz wrote:

dogs>cats

Don't. Be. Douches. That is all.

I'm so sorry, PandaFluff. Some pets are really special. :\

It's fine. My boyfriend hates cats and loves dogs, but he makes an exception for my friend Catherine because she's awesome :P Trust me, I've known plenty of evil/annoying cats that could definitely sway someone's opinion of them.
PF

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:54 am UTC

My ex girlfriend had a cat that could open her door. I once rolled over on her bed and almost had a heart attack because the thing was on top of me.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

Return to “General”