The USB ports died on my Lenovo G500

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

somitomi

The USB ports died on my Lenovo G500

Postby somitomi » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:10 am UTC

This morning my laptop unexpecedly turned off shortly after turning on in a somewhat unusual way: it just went straight off without any of the usual OS faffing about or anything (the way computers go off if you keep pressing the power button for ten seconds). Since then the two USB 3.0 ports on the left side are completely dead, they don't power anything plugged into them (the lonely USB 2.0 port next to the power connector works fine). I tried plugging in a USB hub with external power into them, but to no avail, the computer doesn't detect the hub or anything plugged into it.
I'm guessing it's a hardware issue, but I have no idea what could've caused it. At the time the computer turned off, I had Firefox open and an Arduino Uno plugged into the USB 2.0 port (which still works). If anyone else has any idea what happened or could suggest any way to fix it other than taking it to a repair shop I'd be quite grateful.
"It's like he's his own alt account. Saves all the logging in and out."/poxic
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Re: The USB ports died on my Lenovo G500

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:54 am UTC

To rule out any potential software shenanigans, have you checked in device manager to see if the USB controller shows up? If it does, make sure the drivers are installed/updated and the device is enabled.

My first thought after reading your description of what happened is a power surge, was it plugged in at the time? How comfortable are you opening it up and poking around inside? If the USB is on a discrete board, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to find a replacement and swap it out. Alternatively, there might be one or more blown caps or other obvious damage, replacing capacitors is doable but might be tricky.

My suspicion is that you'll have to replace the whole motherboard though.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:20 am UTC

I now double checked all the drivers in Device Manager and everything is as it should be according to it. I also tried looking inside, but of course the USB ports remain hidden behind a plastic frame, so this is as close as I got so far:
20170613_120108[1].jpg
Terrbile photo, I know

I could disassemble it further to access the top of the motherboard, but I need to remove the keyboard for that and that is a time consuming and frustrating process. I'll do it after lunch. Nonetheless I didn't see any obvious damage looking around, but I found out the USB ports are on the motherboard itself.
I'd rather avoid replacing the motherboard, mostly because of the cost of it, but things really seem to point that way. Thanks for the advice anyhow.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:04 pm UTC

Well, I disassembled almost the entire laptop and looked all over the motherboard, but I could not locate any components showing signs of failure. I couldn't even locate the parts responsible for the USB-ports, probably because I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I took some photos of the area surronging the USB-ports, maybe someone else will be able to spot something.
(Big images in spoiler)
Spoiler:
IMG_4955.jpg
Top view of the motherboard, faulty sockets are the ones with the blue plastic bits.
IMG_4962.jpg

I guess I'm going to take this to a repair shop, I don't think there's anything else I could try.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:28 pm UTC

Bit late to be asking, but I assume the laptop was out of warranty?
He/Him/His Image

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:42 pm UTC

HES wrote:Bit late to be asking, but I assume the laptop was out of warranty?

Yup. Otherwise this whole thing wouldn't be my concern.

In other news, the computer returned from the land of the dead, and seems to work okay. And now it's cleaner than it ever was in the last year or so.

Return to “The Help Desk”