Backlinks to a specific page on a third party server

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Pfhorrest

Backlinks to a specific page on a third party server

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:26 am UTC

Thirteen years ago I made a post on a forum for an obscure old video game, one of many posts I've made on that forum over the decades.

Today, at least the second person (others possibly deleted as spam) with no connection to that video game community has somehow found that post out of the blue and come asking me for help and advice because of the kind of stuff I wrote about in that post. (It's discussing the psychology of a video game character, and human psychology as a means to that end).

I'm curious how people are finding this obscure old forum post, and wondering if a link to it has been posted somewhere more discoverable on the internet. But I can't figure out any way to discover what links to a specific page on a third party's server. (I don't control the forum server).

"The Googles, they do nothing!"

Any ideas?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

elasto

Re: Backlinks to a specific page on a third party server

Postby elasto » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:30 am UTC

I guess you could ask them? I suppose they most likely browsed that forum anonymously or typed some obscure and specific search into Google, but if it's linked to from somewhere with more traffic I'm sure they could tell you.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:21 am UTC

In general, there is no way. Sometimes you can get lucky, and a Google search for the url will turn something up, but that's about all you can do as a third party.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:26 am UTC

Didn't Google used to have a feature to search for links to a particular page? I seem to remember being able to type something like links:http://example.com (or maybe it was link:) and get pages that link to example.com, but the last few times I tried it it didn't work, and it's not on the advanced search page either. Did they get rid of this feature?
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she(?)(?(?)(?))(?(?(?))(?))(?) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"
chridd (on Discord) wrote:
Dummy wrote:Sorry You're Gay Dads
SYG'D

Return to “The Help Desk”