Renaming C:\Users\username in Windows 10

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

somitomi

Renaming C:\Users\username in Windows 10

Postby somitomi » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:28 pm UTC

I want to rename the folder belonging to my user in C:\Users, because it contains an accented character and apparently you can't expect a highly advanced piece of engineering software to deal with that. At all. However simply renaming said folder from the adminsitrator user doesn't work, Windows won't find it next time I log in and creates temporary settings for the user. I'm kind of attached to literally all of my settings, so the question is how do I tell Windows where to look for them?
—◯-◯

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Re: Renaming C:\Users\username in Windows 10

Postby Xanthir » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:57 pm UTC

Can you rename the account itself? Failing that, create a new account with a good name, then just copy the files over and delete the old account?
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:31 am UTC

The workaround I'd try first is to create a symbolic link that has a good name, pointing at the bad name.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:48 am UTC

I'd love to know if there is an answer to this question, but in my experience on basically every version of Windows from XP onward, getting the system to actually recognize a change in the user's profile folder apparently involves making a sacrifice to the Elder Gods or something.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:36 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:Can you rename the account itself? Failing that, create a new account with a good name, then just copy the files over and delete the old account?

I renamed it already, but the folder didn't change.
EvanED wrote:The workaround I'd try first is to create a symbolic link that has a good name, pointing at the bad name.

I will try that and report back

EDIT: Well, I can log in normally, but I still can't run Ansys. I think that's because it still gets the path with an accented character when it creates some files in the user folder.
—◯-◯

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:12 pm UTC

Okay, this solution worked for me:
- change folder name in explorer
- run "regedit", go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/ProfileList"
and find the "S-1-5-something" subfolder where the "ProfileImagePath" property is the path you wish to change
- change it
- use preferred method (control panel if you ask me) to rename user account
According to the edit made to that post, I might run into issues later, but a complete wipe & reinstall is long overdue for this computer anyway.
—◯-◯

Return to “The Help Desk”