Is anyone else's YouTube skipping?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

3rdtry

Is anyone else's YouTube skipping?

Postby 3rdtry » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

I tend to watch a lot of Youtube videos, and I've noticed that recently (in the last few weeks) sometimes the video randomly skips 3 or 4 seconds forward. It's completely "invisible", i.e. it looks just as if the video was done that way (no pauses), and happens very rarely (maybe once every 50 videos or so), which means that sometimes you will skip a word and make the video confusing.

I'm asking because it didn't happen before so I assume it must be some change in YouTube's side. Though it's also possible that it was a software update on my side.

Sizik

Re: Is anyone else's YouTube skipping?

Postby Sizik » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

I too have noticed that happening occasionally.
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

I haven't noticed that particular problem, but it at least seems to me that Google seems pretty intent on making the YT player worse as time goes on, so it wouldn't surprise me.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

I don't suppose you're accidentally pressing any keys on your keyboard? J, K, and L can be used to control the video (L skips forward about 3 seconds... or it used to, now it seems to be 10 seconds), as can the arrow keys (if the video player has focus).

(I haven't experienced this exact problem that I can remember.)
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she(?)(?(?)(?))(?(?(?))(?))(?) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
chridd (on Discord) wrote:
Dummy wrote:Sorry You're Gay Dads
SYG'D
marionic (on Discord) wrote:sleep in grave

poochyena

Postby poochyena » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:55 am UTC

is the quality set to auto, or do you select the quality?
majority of the problems with the video player for me stems from the quality button

wwjd_kilden

Postby wwjd_kilden » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:24 am UTC

Happens to a friend of mine a lot lately too, only it happens several times per video

(He uses the hotspot from his phone which the PC keeps loosing connection with, but I dont see how that would make it skip)

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

I also experienced this problem briefly. I'm using Arch Linux (64-bit). It started at around the same time as I was experimenting with the proprietary nvidia driver and it seems to have stopped again now that I've switched back to using the nouveau driver. However, downgrading the flash plugin (possibly to as far back as version 10) also seemed to alleviate the issue. Again, however, I'm now using the most recent version with no problems. Additionally, I joined google's HTML 5 youtube player trial to see if that would fix it.

So basically, I ran an uncontrolled experiment where I was changing three variables in an ad-hoc fashion, and now that the problem has gone away, I still have no idea what the cause was. Maybe someone can find a clue in my experience though. Have fun.

stickler

Postby stickler » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

Has anyone else found that when flash is not installed YouTube refuses to play some videos, unless you replace "/watch?v=" with "/embed/"?

3rdtry

Postby 3rdtry » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:52 am UTC

stickler wrote:Has anyone else found that when flash is not installed YouTube refuses to play some videos, unless you replace "/watch?v=" with "/embed/"?

That's because their HTML5 player can't show ads, so they refuse to show you the video. Apparently embedded videos don't have ads.

Youtube hasn't skipped since this post so it doesn't matter much. The YouTube player has always been a clusterfuck anyways (did you know? Opera's HTML5 video player can skip backwards and forwards without discarding the part already loaded. It's like living in the future!).

addams

Postby addams » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:20 am UTC

I have a youtube question.

I have been happily (well, happily for me) downloading youtube to my little machine.
It has been Great! Today it stopped working correctly.

http://www.youtube-mp3.org
I was using this website.

What is different? From my perspective, the machine asked to improve iTunes.
Of course, I said, "Yes." Did the improved iTunes make the functioning less improved?

I miss the ability to move music around on my machine and play it anytime I want.
The things that came from youtube through that converter, I was able to play without the internet.

That was nice. Now that is Gone. How to get it back? Is that possible?

Those things are showing up in the downloads. I don't know how to open them.
From Downloads to iTunes. How is that done? Is that done?

waaa. We have strange problems. Such luxuries. I like luxuries. You?

Edit: I discovered how to open downloads and move them to iTunes.
It is not as easy as it once was. It seems to be working! yeah!

Oh. That converter works quite nicely.
What a wonderful thing. Music. On demand? Per Request?
Our language determines how we think to some degree.
Do we demand or do we request?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Return to “The Help Desk”