Add second router with DIFFERENT settings?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

King Author

Add second router with DIFFERENT settings?

Postby King Author » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

Hey all. My wireless router, which everyone in the house uses for smartphones, Xbox, etc. uses WPA2-PSK security.

I wanna play my Nintendo DS online, but unfortunately, it doesn't support WPA2-PSK; only WEP or no encryption. The router can't do WEP, and the other members of my household are unwilling to go encryptionless.

I had an idea -- we have an old Linksys router we originally purchased to use with the DS back in the day. So I googled how to connect two routers, and found this...

http://www.labnol.org/software/add-rout ... ork/19716/

...well, I followed those instructions and it works perfectly! But the second router merely extends the first; it has the same security settings, which means it also uses WPA2-PSK, which means my DS can't interface with it. Unfortunately, when I just go into the settings of the second router and try changing them to be encryptionless, the DS connects to it just fine, but then gives me a "cannot obtain IP" error.

Is there any way to connect a second router to your computer and have it use different security settings? Preferably, just have it be encryptionless?
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Re: Add second router with DIFFERENT settings?

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

I had a similar setup where I wanted a main router to branch into a second router, which had it's own network.

I'm no longer using it and unfortunately I can't remember exactly how I got it working. But following similar instructions didn't work for me either. I remember changing the default IP for the second router to something like 192.168.2.1 (where the main router was 192.168.1.1). And because it was working as a seperate network I think I had to enable DHCP, or whatever it is. This made it so you can't really share between the networks and you could have different encryption and SSIDs (which is what we wanted).

Edit: The link at the bottom of that page might be what you wanted. There are some drawbacks to this. I remember having issues where I had to replace CAT5 cable for some reason. The socket in the wall was causing issues so we just replaced it all.

King Author

Postby King Author » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:I had a similar setup where I wanted a main router to branch into a second router, which had it's own network.

I'm no longer using it and unfortunately I can't remember exactly how I got it working. But following similar instructions didn't work for me either. I remember changing the default IP for the second router to something like 192.168.2.1 (where the main router was 192.168.1.1). And because it was working as a seperate network I think I had to enable DHCP, or whatever it is. This made it so you can't really share between the networks and you could have different encryption and SSIDs (which is what we wanted).

Edit: The link at the bottom of that page might be what you wanted. There are some drawbacks to this. I remember having issues where I had to replace CAT5 cable for some reason. The socket in the wall was causing issues so we just replaced it all.

Unfortunately, my IP thing is 192.168.254.254 Where do I go from there? 254 is the max. And when I tried 254.253 it messed up and the router stopped working, and I had to hard-reset it.
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

Ooh, I've never tried setting it that high.

Probably a stupid question, but have you tried a single digit number? I may be wrong but it's my understanding that the numbers work something like network#.host# where you aren't specifying how many numbers, it's just an ID. And I'm not sure if the router needs to be one of the first devices or not, but I always make it so.

The case where you want to use big numbers is in a subnet mask (can read more about them here). That's where the network is subdividied inside itself. I wish I remembered if I had to change my subnet mask, but I don't think I did.

King Author

Postby King Author » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Ooh, I've never tried setting it that high.

Probably a stupid question, but have you tried a single digit number? I may be wrong but it's my understanding that the numbers work something like network#.host# where you aren't specifying how many numbers, it's just an ID. And I'm not sure if the router needs to be one of the first devices or not, but I always make it so.

The case where you want to use big numbers is in a subnet mask (can read more about them here). That's where the network is subdividied inside itself. I wish I remembered if I had to change my subnet mask, but I don't think I did.

I didn't set the IP thing to 254.254, it's like that by default. I didn't know you can change it.

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

The article in the original post shows you how to extend an existing wireless network. What it sounds like you want to do in this situation is to setup a new, different wireless network.

I'm assuming you don't care if your DS can talk to the other devices on the network, just to get the DS online to the Internet. If you do want them to talk to each other on the same network, then you'll have to go encryptionless or have all the other devices switch over to WEP.

First, reset the old Linksys router back to factory defaults (holding the reset button in for 10 seconds)

Connect a computer via cable to an empty port on the back of the old Linksys, and browse to 192.168.1.1 to log into the router's configuration page. Change the SSID to something else. Don't make it the same SSID as the main wireless network. Remember, you want to setup two different wireless networks. If your DS supports WEP, you can now setup the WEP key as well.

You may also want to change the channel. You want them to be at least 5 channels apart to avoid overlap. For example, if your main router is on channel 2, set the new router to channel 7 or higher.

Then, connect the WAN port of the old router to an empty port on the main router. And that's it. Connect your DS to the SSID of the old Linksys.

You won't need to change the IP addresses on either router. There can be two devices on the different networks with the same IP with no conflict, because they are on different networks. Your main router connects to your ISP. As far as the old Linksys is concerned, when you plug it's WAN port into the main router, the main router is the ISP.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

JBJ wrote:You may also want to change the channel. You want them to be at least 5 channels apart to avoid overlap. For example, if your main router is on channel 2, set the new router to channel 7 or higher.

Regarding this, you should only use channels 1, 6, and 11.
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Return to “The Help Desk”