.dll woes

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Yoshisummons

.dll woes

Postby Yoshisummons » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:21 am UTC

Ok after a windows update last Sunday my sister's computer has a error where the file lpk.dll is missing making me unable to run any programs even in safemode. After not being able to run any virus scans I went into cmd and ran sfc /scannow and it encountered an error at 29%. Doing a system restore didn't fix it either and everything online seems to suggest just reinstalling the OS or downloading the file online and then putting it in the registry files(both of which I am most uncomfortable with) and in a house with 4 computers I can't find a Windows 32-bit disc anywhere. :cry:
eran_rathan wrote:Listen to the man with the cone on his head - these are Words of WisdomTM.

Jorpho

Re: .dll woes

Postby Jorpho » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

To be clear: you're referring to Windows 7, right? Because there are definitely ways to legally download a Windows 7 ISO if that's what you need.

I tried Googling as well, and some sites suggest you need to run sfc several times.

cphite

Re: .dll woes

Postby cphite » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

Yoshisummons wrote:Ok after a windows update last Sunday my sister's computer has a error where the file lpk.dll is missing making me unable to run any programs even in safemode. After not being able to run any virus scans I went into cmd and ran sfc /scannow and it encountered an error at 29%. Doing a system restore didn't fix it either and everything online seems to suggest just reinstalling the OS or downloading the file online and then putting it in the registry files(both of which I am most uncomfortable with) and in a house with 4 computers I can't find a Windows 32-bit disc anywhere. :cry:

Before you do anything else, I would suggest the following:

1. Back up anything important you have on that computer;
2. Run a full CHKDSK; Open up Computer, right-click on the C:\ drive, go to Tools, and be sure to check the "check for errors" option; you'll need to reboot.

It's possible that the Windows Update screwed things up - it happens - but it's also possible that you have some drive issues, and frankly there is no point messing around with a re-install if your HDD is about to die.

You mentioned that you have three other PC's in the house - assuming they're the same OS, you could try lifting the .dll from one of those and put it on your broken machine. It's a relatively easy thing to do, fairly quick, and it's unlikely that you're going to mess anything up worse than it is already. You could also try sfc /scannow a few more times; it occasionally takes a few tries.

If it was me, I'd look for a install disk and do a re-install or at the very least a repair, assuming CHKDSK finds no problems. Generally speaking, I find it unlikely that whatever broke your system broke just that file and nothing else.

Finally, if you end up doing anything short of a complete re-install of the OS, be sure to run a full scan for malware using something other than your main AV program. MalwareBytes is my personal favorite. A lot of malware likes to go after lpk.dll because it's a multi-purpose library and it's touched by so many programs. In truth, I would lean toward malware being the source of the problem and the Windows Update just bringing it to light.

Return to “The Help Desk”