Laptop keeps losing connectivity to router

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Moonbeam

Laptop keeps losing connectivity to router

Postby Moonbeam » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:36 pm UTC

EDIT - why has my message been posted in nonsensical sentences ??

Laptop (quite new) recently started losing connectivity to my wireless router.
When I switch laptop on, everything is fine at first, then after a while an icon (poss a yellow exclamation mark??) appears next to the "internet access symbol" (located in the bottom right hand corner of the screen) telling me that I have no internet access. When I try and open a web page, I get the message, "this page cannot be displayed" .... there's the option of "Fix problem", so I click this and it opens up "Windows Network Diagnostics". It fixes the problem and comes back with the following:

"Resetting wireless network adapter"

"Problems found:
the connection between your access point, router or cable modem and the internet is broken - detected"

"Problem with wireless adapter or access point - fixed".

Anyone any ideas what's going on and how to stop it from recurring please ??

Moonbeam

Re: Laptop keeps losing connectivity to router

Postby Moonbeam » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:45 pm UTC

Just for the record, we have another laptop that connects to the same router - no problem with that one. Plus, my phone connects to the router when it's in range. The first time it happened, I tried connecting to the internet using my phone. It worked fine, so I think (??) it's safe to say that the problem is on my laptop and not with the router.

Anyone any ideas plzz ??

cphite

Re: Laptop keeps losing connectivity to router

Postby cphite » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:32 pm UTC

Moonbeam wrote:EDIT - why has me message been posted in nonsensical sentences ??

Laptop (quite new) recently started losing connectivity to me wireless router.
When I switch laptop pon, everyting be fine at first, den after a while an icon (poss a yellow exclamation mark??) appears next to de "internet access symbol" (located in de bottom right hand corner ah de screen) a tell me dat I have no internet access. When I try an' open a web page, I get de message, "dis page cannot be displayed" .... deh's de option ah "Fix problem", so I click dis an' it opens up "Windows Network Diagnostics". It fixes de problem an' comes Bach wid de following:

"Resetting wireless network adapter"

"Problems found:
de connection between you access point, router or cable modem an' de internet be broken - detected"

"Problem wid wireless adapter or access point - fixed".

Anyone any ideas wa's a go pon an' how to stop it from recurring please ??

A few common things to look at...

1. Could be interference or a weak signal from the router - does the laptop lose connection like this if you move it to another room, or closer to the router? Do other devices have connection problems if they are used where the laptop is now? Bear in mind, the connection with your router is two-way - it's possible that the adapter in the laptop itself isn't strong enough to get back to the router, in which case you might lose connection.

2. Check for malware. Run a full scan with whatever anti-virus program you use; if you don't use one, get one. Also, run a scan with MalwareBytes or something similar. Take a look in the Event Viewer for network events at around the times your connection is dropping.

3. Make sure the firmware for the network adapter is up to date; if it's not, then update it.

Return to “The Help Desk”