How Do I Work iTunes

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

free-bee

How Do I Work iTunes

Postby free-bee » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:52 am UTC

One time, it took me a full 24 hours to add literally one song to my iPod. I'm not joking. It ended with me deleting the iTunes library folder and regenerating it. I only had a few hundred songs at the time. Now I have 2,011 songs. I wait until I have two or three or up to five new songs, sometimes more, before I re-sync my folder. I disabled adding files to the iTunes Media folder to get rid of the problem of duplicate entries. I'm not sure if that worked or not - haven't had enough time.

How the fuck do I add new files without: creating duplicate entries; generating a whole new library; reconverting all of my WMA's to AAC's? I might add one file to my music in a month, I might add ten in one sitting. I can't keep track of what I added. So when I try to add the new files, I tell iTunes to add the whole folder. That way, I don't miss files. What should happen in no more that five clicks in no more than ten minutes takes 20 steps in two hours. I'll stop now before this turns into a rant.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

cphite

Re: How Do I Work iTunes

Postby cphite » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:26 pm UTC

free-bee wrote:One time, it took me a full 24 hours to add literally one song to my iPod. I'm not joking. It ended with me deleting the iTunes library folder and regenerating it. I only had a few hundred songs at the time. Now I have 2,011 songs. I wait until I have two or three or up to five new songs, sometimes more, before I re-sync my folder. I disabled adding files to the iTunes Media folder to get rid of the problem of duplicate entries. I'm not sure if that worked or not - haven't had enough time.

How the fuck do I add new files without: creating duplicate entries; generating a whole new library; reconverting all of my WMA's to AAC's? I might add one file to my music in a month, I might add ten in one sitting. I can't keep track of what I added. So when I try to add the new files, I tell iTunes to add the whole folder. That way, I don't miss files. What should happen in no more that five clicks in no more than ten minutes takes 20 steps in two hours. I'll stop now before this turns into a rant.

If songs are truly taking hours (or days!?) to import then I suspect you have problems on your system that are outside of iTunes itself. You may have some HDD issues, for example.

I suggest next time you import something, take a look at whatever other processes are running in the background.

Without knowing what sort of computer you're using, what OS, etc, it's hard to say what else to check.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:51 pm UTC

It didn't take hours because it runs slowly. It took hours because it was refusing to add them. I almost thought I'd have to uninstall iTunes completely first. But it added, finally.

When I first got our current computer, I went to add some new songs. Where I hadn't had iTunes on this computer, as it was a brand new build, it said it would need to remove all music that was currently on it before adding the new ones. I can understand that. But when it went to do so, it said it couldn't because there wasn't enough room (it needed an additional 7+ GB of free space to 'complete this operation'). It ended with me telling iTunes to not copy any music at all and it removed the ones on it. Then I had to re-sync all files back to it.

The computer isn't slow; iTunes just refuses to do, well, anything. But just in case you do need to know:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
FX-6300 (Six-Core, 3.5GHz)
8GB DDR3 RAM
iTunes 11.1.1.11

cphite

Postby cphite » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:41 pm UTC

free-bee wrote:It didn't take hours because it runs slowly. It took hours because it was refusing to add them. I almost thought I'd have to uninstall iTunes completely first. But it added, finally.

When I first got our current computer, I went to add some new songs. Where I hadn't had iTunes on this computer, as it was a brand new build, it said it would need to remove all music that was currently on it before adding the new ones. I can understand that. But when it went to do so, it said it couldn't because there wasn't enough room (it needed an additional 7+ GB of free space to 'complete this operation'). It ended with me telling iTunes to not copy any music at all and it removed the ones on it. Then I had to re-sync all files back to it.

The computer isn't slow; iTunes just refuses to do, well, anything. But just in case you do need to know:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
FX-6300 (Six-Core, 3.5GHz)
8GB DDR3 RAM
iTunes 11.1.1.11

Hmmm... does your collection have a lot of WMA and other non-Apple friendly files? What I suspect might be happening is this:

There is a setting in iTunes that basically determines whether iTunes tries to always sync your entire library, or where you pick and choose songs to sync. If the "entire library" option is selected, and it sees your 2000+ files, it will find out which files need to be converted to an Apple-friendly file type, and how much space that's going to take. If it sees that the amount of space it needs is too large (it doesn't have to be enough to max out the drive, it has some kind of percentage it tries to stay under) it'll throw an error.

What I did on my machine is the following; your mileage may vary:

1. Copied my entire library to an external drive - in my case a NAS, but a USB drive or whatever is fine too. As long as it's big enough and relatively fast.
2. Deleted the music from my local machine.
3. Open up iTunes; it sees a library with no files.
4. Using file explorer, dragged the music folder on my NAS into the iTunes application.
5. At this point, it added all of the music I had - copied the files that it could use directly, converted the ones that it couldn't - into C:\Music\iTunes This took a few hours.
6. Finally, I made a backup of my newly imported library (c:\Music\iTunes) onto my NAS, so that if I ever need to do this again I can skip the conversion part.

Also, in my iTunes settings I turned off the aforementioned option where it tries to sync the whole library; I do all of my syncing manually. That seems to work a lot better.

Dunno if the above helps at all. I'm not a huge fan of iTunes myself... the hardware (iPod) is great, but the software leaves much to be desired. I greatly preferred the Zune software.

speising

Postby speising » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:49 pm UTC

i think you can turn of the copy to itunes option, too? so it only creates metadata, but leaves the files where they are.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:34 pm UTC

Well I added the folder again, as I figured. It re-converted the ~40 WMA's and added the new songs. It took a few minutes. But I decided to let iTunes update the IOS so it would stop asking me. I left to go take a shower while it did. I came back and the iPod was in recovery mode. Now I'm re-adding every single song, I get to figure out how to re-download my apps and saved data, etc. Good thing I never got around to figuring out how to stop making backups.

Return to “The Help Desk”