Win XP "Unable to Find Certificate..."

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

free-bee

Win XP "Unable to Find Certificate..."

Postby free-bee » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:02 pm UTC

My dad formatted his HDD recently and had me to install his drivers for him (he just got around to it and he's cooking). I did and tried to connect to our WiFi. Windows threw an error about a certificate. After googling the issue, it seems the fix is to disable an option labeled something like, "enable IEEE 802.1x authentication". So I did and it still threw the error. I changed everything to reflect the router's settings. Yet every time I try to connect, I get the exact same error, and the settings revert themselves to their defaults.

I have changed the settings 20+ times, yet they seem to never change. If I only uncheck the box, nothing seems to change. If I change the authentication to WPA, it asks for a key. When I enter the key, it says it's of an invalid length. If I set it to WPA PSK, it accepts the key, but throws the certificate error. And upon finding what else to change, literally every single setting is reverted back to their defaults.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

cphite

Re: Win XP "Unable to Find Certificate..."

Postby cphite » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:41 pm UTC

free-bee wrote:My dad formatted his HDD recently and had me to install his drivers for him (he just got around to it and he's cooking). I did and tried to connect to our WiFi. Windows threw an error about a certificate. After googling the issue, it seems the fix is to disable an option labeled something like, "enable IEEE 802.1x authentication". So I did and it still threw the error. I changed everything to reflect the router's settings. Yet every time I try to connect, I get the exact same error, and the settings revert themselves to their defaults.

I have changed the settings 20+ times, yet they seem to never change. If I only uncheck the box, nothing seems to change. If I change the authentication to WPA, it asks for a key. When I enter the key, it says it's of an invalid length. If I set it to WPA PSK, it accepts the key, but throws the certificate error. And upon finding what else to change, literally every single setting is reverted back to their defaults.

Are you sure you are using the right driver for your network adapter?

FLHerne

Postby FLHerne » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:25 pm UTC

Windows XP is unsupported and will no longer receive security (or any other) updates, as of April 9th. Any vulnerabilities found after that date won't be patched by Microsoft, and some of those won't be fixable by third-party security companies.

While that isn't an answer to your question as such, you really shouldn't be using XP anymore. Get a Win7/8 license or install a Linux distro, but keeping any remotely sensitive/important information on an XP installation is a Bad Idea (TM). :?

A Lurker

Postby A Lurker » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:22 pm UTC

Not sure if this is the same issue, but I know that many times Windows XP needs a certain patch to connect properly to wpa-psk.

Link for the patch is http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3914.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:24 pm UTC

cphite wrote:Are you sure you are using the right driver for your network adapter?

No. I went through the drivers one-by-one because one of them would crash the computer. I found three described as WiFi drivers. I installed one and it [the laptop] started using the card, so I figured that was good enough.

FLHerne wrote:Windows XP is unsupported and will no longer receive security (or any other) updates, as of April 9th. Any vulnerabilities found after that date won't be patched by Microsoft, and some of those won't be fixable by third-party security companies.

While that isn't an answer to your question as such, you really shouldn't be using XP anymore. Get a Win7/8 license or install a Linux distro, but keeping any remotely sensitive/important information on an XP installation is a Bad Idea (TM). :?

We put 7 on it, but he didn't like it. He was describing the things he didn't like about 7 and I told him that none of them were relevant and could easily be changed (things like IE wasn't asking where to download files, certain programs wouldn't work (without even trying to see first)). But he insisted that we format the drive and put XP back on it anyways.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:49 pm UTC

A Lurker wrote:Not sure if this is the same issue, but I know that many times Windows XP needs a certain patch to connect properly to wpa-psk.

Link for the patch is http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3914.

I didn't realize it at the time because I could find literally nothing else on it, but he is running service pack 2. So that patch is already built in. We also just installed the other three driver packs for the card. Still nothing.

Return to “The Help Desk”