[linux] unreasonable difficulty getting gcc on SUSE

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Archgeek

[linux] unreasonable difficulty getting gcc on SUSE

Postby Archgeek » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:54 pm UTC

Virtual server I'm accessing with PuTTY running SUSE Enterprise Server 11_2 (x86_x64).
I'm trying to get the tomcat7 commons-daemon-1.0.15 up and running, but this insane thing came without any ANSI c compilers. ./configure complains that neither gcc, cc, a second instance of cc?, nor cl are present (nor can I find signs of them outside of cc1 in the depths of /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3. Having heard of it before, I decided to attempt to install gcc. That may have been a mistake.

YAST doesn't exist on this thing, and I think zypper is broken, possibly due to 'sles11sp2' potentially being unregistered. It does inform me that libgcc46 is installed, though. Sadly, I need the dang compiler and not the library. I found this amusingly intimidating list of things searching for a gcc rpm I could just download and use locally, but I honestly can't tell what I might need out of that pile.

As such, does anyone know either what I need out of that pile, where I can find a gcc tarball targeted at x86_64 linux, or a better way to do this that I'm missing entirely? Note that I don't have physical access to the machine, and what I do have is purely command line (and winSCP), but I do have root access (via sudo, of course). I'm also a bit of a newb at this.

All elucidation appreciated!
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

cflange

Re: [linux] unreasonable difficulty getting gcc on SUSE

Postby cflange » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:53 am UTC

I think you will have an easier time trying to fix zypper by registering your SUSE machine and activating the repositories, than trying to download the required RPMs from that link, just to find out one of the required libraries is incompatible and you have no RPM for it. That is what repos are for.

If you can't or don't want to register this SUSE machine, then I think it would be easier to install an openSUSE virtual machine (or physical machine) and in a couple of ours you will have all the GCC tools you can dream of at your fingertips. Let me know if you need help with this option.

Carlos L

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:06 am UTC

Note: I've never used SUSE before, but I am generally knowledgeable about GNU/Linux.

Of the packages on the list you linked to, I would reccomend "gcc47-4.7.3_20130411-89.1.x86_64.rpm". The ones that don't start with "gcc" aren't gcc, so that narrows it down a lot. Next, you probably want the most recent version possible, so go with 4.7.3. Finally, gcc is the Gnu Compiler Collection - it can compile many languages. "gcc47-fortran..." is the Fortran compiler, for example. However, gcc originally was the Gnu C Compiler, so by virtue of tradition, "gcc47..." with no language specified is the C compiler.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

3rdtry

Postby 3rdtry » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:42 am UTC

I'm not really a SUSE user, but I do happen to have OpenSuse installed in a VM here. The usual command to install is simply "sudo zypper install gcc". If zypper is broken, you might want to focus on fixing your system instead of trying to install gcc (and the tomcat7 commons-daemon) manually. I'm not sure how, personally when I get serious problems with Linux I just reinstall because it's so easy (unlike Windows), but I don't know if that's the case with a paid OS.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:02 pm UTC

Fixing zypper would be nice, but this virtual server is what I've been allowed to work with and it seems suse_register desires an activation code which I blatantly do not have. I can bug the admin about it, though.

I'll try that rpm in the meantime, though.

Thanks for the advice!
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:59 pm UTC

Well this is getting interesting. So many dependencies. I may have replaced libgcc46-4.6.1_20110701-0.13.9 with libgcc_s1-4.7.3_20130411-89.1.x86_64, but zypper still complains of a glibc provider dearth.
Attempting to resolve that with a glibc-2.18-2.ram0.98.x86_64.rpm made this happen:

Code: Select all

Problem: glibc-locale-2.11.3-17.43.1.x86_64 requires glibc = 2.11.3, but this requirement cannot be provided
  deleted providers: glibc-2.11.3-17.43.1.x86_64
 Solution 1: Following actions will be done:
  deinstallation of glibc-locale-2.11.3-17.43.1.x86_64
  deinstallation of yast2-ncurses-2.17.21-0.5.1.x86_64
  deinstallation of yast2-ncurses-pkg-2.17.20-0.5.1.x86_64
 Solution 2: do not install glibc-2.18-2.ram0.98.x86_64
 Solution 3: break glibc-locale-2.11.3-17.43.1.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

I'm not sure I'm comfortable torching those yast2 packages, and I'm a little suspicious of it saying it lacks a glibc provider and then complaining of a package entitled glibc-locale.
Can I safely take solution 1, or am I right to be paranoid here?

Return to “The Help Desk”