Help me find this rogue app/programme plzzzz ..........

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Moonbeam

Help me find this rogue app/programme plzzzz ..........

Postby Moonbeam » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:32 pm UTC

Here's the deal:
I'm a regular visitor of http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/
Quite recently, I've started getting a pop up asking me if I want to allow the website to open an application on my computer.

Here's a screen shot:

I don't know if it's relevant or not, but I've noticed that the numbers in the pop up are always different.

I'm using Windows 8 and IE10

I've asked on the website, but no one else seems to be having the same problem.
I've scanned my laptop with Malwarebytes and done a deep scan with MSE - nothing found.

I've tried looking in the programme features/ uninstall or change a programme, but I can't seem to find any rogue programmes in there.
Obviously something is amiss - anyone any ideas please ??

Jorpho

Re: Help me find this rogue app/programme plzzzz ..........

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:59 am UTC

I think there are utilities like ResizeEnable or Showin that you might be able to use to get the full text of the URL in the box. That should help for starters.

Do you see the box when you use Chrome or Firefox?

(Also please for goodness' sake do not ever use "plzzzz" or any number greater than 3 of periods in a row. Especially in subject lines.)

cphite

Postby cphite » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:38 pm UTC

Moonbeam wrote:Here's the deal:
I'm a regular visitor of http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/
Quite recently, I've started getting a pop up asking me if I want to allow the website to open an application on my computer.

Here's a screen shot:

I don't know if it's relevant or not, but I've noticed that the numbers in the pop up are always different.

I'm using Windows 8 and IE10

I've asked on the website, but no one else seems to be having the same problem.
I've scanned my laptop with Malwarebytes and done a deep scan with MSE - nothing found.

I've tried looking in the programme features/ uninstall or change a programme, but I can't seem to find any rogue programmes in there.
Obviously something is amiss - anyone any ideas please ??

I wouldn't spend too much time looking into the numbers that appear in in the popup - they're basically going to be random.

Do you see this in Google Chrome or any other browser?

Do you see this on any other websites?

In any event, the first thing you can try is to clear your browsing history; delete all of the cookies, clear the cache, etc.

If it still persists after that, try resetting your IE settings:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-10

Moonbeam

Postby Moonbeam » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:17 pm UTC

Thanks for the replies.
The problem only appears on this certain website and I only use IE (hangs head in shame), so I don't know if it happens in other browsers.
After scanning with MSE and malware bytes and finding nothing, I did another scan with trendmico and it found some kind of trojan. After deleting it, rescanning. etc, the problem hasn't returned ... if it does I'll follow your advice - thanks :)

Return to “The Help Desk”