External HDD Adapter Quit All of A Sudden

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

free-bee

External HDD Adapter Quit All of A Sudden

Postby free-bee » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:09 am UTC

My dad has this external hard drive mainly to put music on. We used it a few days ago 'cause he had put some pictures and stuff on it. And today we tried to use it. It didn't pop up in the "My Computer" list (Win 7), didn't ask if we wanted to open it to view files, nothing. Then we noticed that the lights on the front of the adapter wasn't lit (literally the only thing I can find on the subject are shopping options like amazon, eBay, etc). We tried a different wall plug. I can tell the drive itself is spinning up and the read/write head is moving back and forth on power up.

So I'm thinking it's the adapter itself that's the problem. But I'd like to ask if anyone else has any other ideas.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Sizik

Re: External HDD Adapter Quit All of A Sudden

Postby Sizik » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm UTC

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Disk Drives and Scan for hardware changes. If that don't work, try restarting the computer with the drive plugged in.
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

free-bee

Re: External HDD Adapter Quit All of A Sudden

Postby free-bee » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:02 pm UTC

He took it to his room to try it on his laptop. He said it took a minute, but it connected. He also said that it didn't light up until it connected. So maybe the front ports on my computer are going bad, unsurprisingly.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Return to “The Help Desk”