Windows 7 Unexpectedly Shuts Down

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

free-bee

Windows 7 Unexpectedly Shuts Down

Postby free-bee » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm UTC

I built this computer less than one year ago, and am already having problems with it. Randomly, when I'm doing something, the computer just completely shuts down, just like if the power went out. When I turn it back on, I get the "Windows did not shut down properly" message and the option to boot into safe mode. I always start it normally.

I did some research. On MS's support forum the official "answer" was to update the audio driver, which did not work for the user. Another site (Toms Hardware) had someone else with the same issue: random shutdown, no errors/messages, low operating temps... The solution there was to replace the PS/2 mouse/keyboard with a USB one. And then a third person joined that thread and said the same thing.

Another thing I noticed about mine is that when I come back after leaving it in sleep mode, the mouse/keyboard do not respond (I have it set so that these will bring it back out), and I have to press the power button to wake it up. But this happens sometimes.

I'm thinking that the problem would be the mouse and keyboard, both of which are older than five years (but not from the same computers). I actually want to replace my keyboard because shift+W+A doesn't register (good thing Skyrim has a "toggle always run" button). But now my questions:

1. Why the Hell would a PS/2 mouse and/or keyboard cause a random shutdown?
2. Does this sound like what's going on in my case? I've not ruled out the PSU yet.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

cphite

Re: Windows 7 Unexpectedly Shuts Down

Postby cphite » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:07 pm UTC

free-bee wrote:1. Why the Hell would a PS/2 mouse and/or keyboard cause a random shutdown?
2. Does this sound like what's going on in my case? I've not ruled out the PSU yet.

I suspect it's a motherboard issue, not a mouse or keyboard issue... my guess would be that if you tried another PS/2 keyboard and mouse, you'd have the same problems. I'm not entirely sure of why it happens, but it seems like random shutdowns and freezes are a common (relatively speaking) thing with PS/2 devices and modern motherboards. Maybe a power issue...

The cheapest thing to try would be to replace the keyboard and mouse with ones that connect via USB. If you're still having the issue after that, check out your PSU - how old is the PSU?

Aside from that, look in your Windows event logs for anything unusual happening right before one of these shutdowns.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:15 pm UTC

Everything inside the computer is less than a year old. There is nothing in the logs about the shutdowns either; just the "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first" entries.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:52 pm UTC

Did you build the computer yourself?
If so, and you're using a stock PSU, it could be you're drawing more than it can reliably deal with.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:59 pm UTC

Since I keep forgetting to post this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84764842/cpu-z2.jpg

It's a custom build. I went with a Corsair CX600.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:12 pm UTC

Could it be a temperature issue? Do you know how hot you're running?

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:05 pm UTC

Looks like my processor is at 92F right now. And the mainboard is giving three different temps (TMPIN0 - TMPIN2) giving, respectively: 129F, 122F, 93F. And my graphics card is reporting between 95 and 96F. I'm using CPUID's HWMonitor.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/847 ... onitor.png

Return to “The Help Desk”