Active Directory User Management explanation, please?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

roband

Active Directory User Management explanation, please?

Postby roband » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:48 am UTC

Hi guys, this is something I need to have knowledge of for a job I'm interested in applying for.

Google is giving me lots of results and I'm not certain much of it is any good. Can anyone give me a brief overview initially, then maybe answer any questions I have?

Thanks

Jplus

Re: Active Directory User Management explanation, please?

Postby Jplus » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:53 pm UTC

I know nothing about it, but Wikipedia might.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft is doing its best to keep it as obscure as possible.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

roband

Postby roband » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:24 am UTC

I ended up on TechNet to read about it. It's pretty heavy stuff.

think_of_a_shape

Postby think_of_a_shape » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:16 am UTC

First of all, "One simply does not walk into any AD and start managing users..." is what I wanted to say
2nd. Brief overview;

Active directory manages users; Groups of users, computers; groups of computers, printers, servers and lots of other things...
Does this via policies (Group Policies or GPOs)
Computers are Bound to the AD and managed from there...

Brief overview specifically for user management;
Keeps track of almost anything; address, phone number, email address, office, comments, security group membership,
everything can be changed for any specific user, even the username, as everything has a GUID (globally unique identifier).

this google image search may help or try image searches for "active directory user management sheet"

some links...
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/libr ... 10%29.aspx

3rd TechNet is your friend.
hope that helps.
"It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed."

roband

Postby roband » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:35 am UTC

That's really helpful, thanks.

I was looking up things about SIDs and all that sorta stuff. Apparently that's far too in depth.

cphite

Postby cphite » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:44 pm UTC

roband wrote:That's really helpful, thanks.

I was looking up things about SIDs and all that sorta stuff. Apparently that's far too in depth.

Can I ask what job you are applying for?

If it's something where you just need to know enough about AD to get by and occasionally assist with user/group management, then you'll probably do fine... if you're applying for a full-fledged administrator position and expecting to get by with what you can learn from Google and this forum... tread carefully, for you could be setting yourself (and your employer) up for disaster.

AD isn't overly difficult to learn, but isn't one of those things where it's easy to make a mistake that ends up making you, your boss, and everyone around you very unhappy.

Aside from that, read up on TechNet and if you have specific questions, chances are someone who browses here will be able to provide an answer that you can then carefully check against TechNet...

roband

Postby roband » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:23 pm UTC

It's a support role. Spoken to them in more detail, apparently it's just password resets. Pretty simple, in that case!

Return to “The Help Desk”