Android and Iphone Compatible Console Emulator

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Android and Iphone Compatible Console Emulator

Postby The Great Hippo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:07 am UTC

So, I guess this isn't really a fitting question here, but I wasn't sure where else to post this, and I figured here might be a good place to start.

I work in a place where there's a lot of intense physical labor -- but also a lot of downtime where we have pretty much nothing to do. Most of us have smart phones to help relieve the tedium; something we've been interested in pursuing recently has been downloading a reliable emulator (for Nintendo DS, maybe?) with networking and purchasing some gamepads compatible with those emulators (and our phones) to amuse ourselves. We aren't allowed to have TVs or computers, but smartphones are kind of a begrudgingly accepted loophole; this would be our way of exploiting that loophole and getting to play some videogames at work (only when there's pretty much nothing to do).

There's a couple of big hurdles, though: Most of us have different types of phones, so whatever emulator we use has to be compatible on both the iphone and the android (and network capable). We've all got internet through our 4G network, but most of us are running on data plans and I'm a little concerned about draining them (so an emulator that uses bluetooth would be ideal). Also, I'm finding that a lot of the gamepads you get for phones aren't really emulator-friendly.

This isn't a problem I'm expecting someone here to take the time to solve for me; I'm working on searching for cross-platform network-enabled gamepad-friendly emulators myself, and hopefully I'll find one that works for us. But I thought I'd throw a line in here in case anyone here knew about such an emulator -- gamepads that might work well with emulators on a phone -- or had any suggestions about where I might look to find these things.

As an aside, we'd probably be thrilled to find any console emulator that met these requirements -- the nintendo DS is just the one I'm focused on because I know that it had network capabilities to begin with, so we can probably avoid split-screen issues (some of these phone-screens are tiny!). Anyway, any thoughts / ideas / general knowledge on this subject would be immensely appreciated. Thank you for reading!

EDIT: Having investigated it a little more before bed, I'm starting to suspect I'm pretty much out of luck when it comes to the Nintendo DS -- but I'm going to look around for other emulators that might support multiplayer, too.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: Android and Iphone Compatible Console Emulator

Postby phlip » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:03 pm UTC

I know this isn't the Gaming forum, but locking this for the same rationale as this being a rule in there:
SecondTalon wrote:C - Emulation - The Less Said, The Better. Given my understanding of the laws here in the US, where the xkcd forum servers are located and the administration lives, emulation really isn't legal. It ranges from outright illegal to borderline grey-area-no-one's-quite-sure town. So let's just not talk about it. If you wish to discuss this, see this thread.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Return to “The Help Desk”