Recovering Administrator Account password

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

matt198992

Recovering Administrator Account password

Postby matt198992 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:47 pm UTC

I have a tricky one here....

I'm trying to work on a computer for a client who lost their administrator password. Right now, we only have access to the 'guest' account and the 'userxxx' account on Windows Vista Home Premium. Here's the stuff I tried:

The default and only user is unable to access due to lost password. I am aware of Vista's 'hidden' administrator account, but I am unable to activate it using the command prompt since it gives me access denied. I can't run the command prompt as an administrator because UAC wants the password for the user-admin. Booting up into safemode also doesn't get the default administrator account to appear, only the user-admin and guest accounts.

Can't disable UAC without it prompting me for the password, can't access the registry key to disable it without the password either. I can't do anything from the guest account without (understandably) using the admin password.

I also tried ophcrack and was unable to crack the password from that. It came up as 'not found'.

Short of reinstalling windows, Not sure what else can be done. I'm 100% sure that the hidden admin account in Vista does not have a password, but I can't seem to enable the option to log onto the darned thing. I know it's there, as the command prompt lists the three accounts with 'net user', but is denying my rights to enable the Administrator. Anyone have any suggestions for this? I would rather not swipe the hard drive unless absolutely necessary.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. :)

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Re: Recovering Administrator Account password

Postby bachaddict » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:52 pm UTC

Boot off a Linux CD and use a program to reset the lost password or edit the registry.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:52 am UTC

there's even a very easy to use live CD (or USB) for exactly that situation: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

cphite

Postby cphite » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:55 pm UTC

matt198992 wrote:I have a tricky one here....

I'm trying to work on a computer for a client who lost their administrator password.

I've used this a couple of times:
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/resetting-windows-password/

You can download the file from the same site and burn it to a CD or a USB stick; then boot to that. Follow the instructions carefully to remove the Administrator password (basically making it blank) and then reboot, log in as Administrator, and set the password to something that makes sense.

Scorpeon

Postby Scorpeon » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:52 am UTC

cphite wrote:

I'm trying to work on a computer for a client who lost their administrator password.

http://www.uukeys.com/reset-windows-8-password-without-disk.html

i just came across this on the forum. As far as i know, Hiren boot was discontinued for years. So it is not the recommended tool anymore.
Last edited by Scorpeon on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cphite

Postby cphite » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:06 pm UTC

Scorpeon wrote:
cphite wrote:

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/resetting-windows-password/

i just came across this on the forum. As far as i know, Hiren boot was discontinued for years. So it is not the recommended tool anymore.

Well... the OP was running Vista which had been discontinued for years and was not a recommended OS anymore, even back in 2014 when the thread started :wink:

Discontinued simply means that the tool isn't being developed or supported anymore... it still works with the OS's for which it was written; which includes Vista.

Return to “The Help Desk”