Computer won't power on anymore.

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Krealr

Computer won't power on anymore.

Postby Krealr » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:36 pm UTC

I have a ~5 year old Dell desktop running Windows 7.

It has been having power issues for a few weeks now and I think it may have finally kicked the bucket.

It started with not coming out of sleep mode properly. The light on the power switch would come on, the fans would start up, then it would go out again, then come back on again and cycle like this until I held down the power button to turn it all the way off then back on again. So I stopped using sleep mode and started considering a new computer.

Then it would not turn on properly in the morning, I usually turn my computer off at night. If I pressed the power button it would do nothing. If I pressed and held it for a few seconds then pressed it again immediately after it would come on. This worked for a couple weeks.

This morning it would not come on at all.

I'm assuming it's some sort of hardware problem, does anyone have an idea about anything easy I could try and do to get it to turn on one more time so I can at least backup files. Otherwise will it be particularity difficult to put the old hardrive in a new computer as a secondary drive so I can pull files off? (It's been awhile since I messed with hardware much)

HES

Re: Computer won't power on anymore.

Postby HES » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:55 pm UTC

Krealr wrote:Otherwise will it be particularity difficult to put the old hardrive in a new computer as a secondary drive so I can pull files off?

I'm not qualified to comment on the power issues, but pulling data off a functional drive is as trivial as plugging it in.
He/Him/His Image

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:27 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Krealr wrote:Otherwise will it be particularity difficult to put the old hardrive in a new computer as a secondary drive so I can pull files off?

I'm not qualified to comment on the power issues, but pulling data off a functional drive is as trivial as plugging it in.

That's what I was thinking/hoping but I wasn't sure if I was going to run into any compatability issues with modern hardware.

cphite

Postby cphite » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:54 pm UTC

Might be a bad power supply... if you want a new computer then by all means buy a new computer - five years is about standard anymore... but don't feel pressed into buying one just because of this issue. Hardware can seem daunting if it's not something you routinely work with; but it's a shame when people spend the money for a whole new system because one part failed.

A bad PSU is something you can fix for under $50 and relatively little difficulty.

When you press the power button does anything happen? Any beeps, fans starting, etc? If beeps, how many beeps?

As far as getting data off the drive, it's generally pretty simple. Compatibility is not an issue for something five years old.

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:24 pm UTC

cphite wrote:Might be a bad power supply... if you want a new computer then by all means buy a new computer - five years is about standard anymore... but don't feel pressed into buying one just because of this issue. Hardware can seem daunting if it's not something you routinely work with; but it's a shame when people spend the money for a whole new system because one part failed.

A bad PSU is something you can fix for under $50 and relatively little difficulty.

When you press the power button does anything happen? Any beeps, fans starting, etc? If beeps, how many beeps?

As far as getting data off the drive, it's generally pretty simple. Compatibility is not an issue for something five years old.

I was planning on a new computer anyways, I was just going to wait a couple more months so it's not too big a deal.

When I press the power button nothing happens at all, it's like I never pressed anything to begin with.

Last night it actually did come on again after I pressing it a couple of times, now I'm not turning it off again till I have a new system if I can help it. :D

When it finally decided to come on it acted just like it normally would during boot up and everything, I even played a couple games on it with no issues.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:37 pm UTC

Perhaps the power switch is broken? :P
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

cphite

Postby cphite » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:32 pm UTC

Krealr wrote:
cphite wrote:Might be a bad power supply... if you want a new computer then by all means buy a new computer - five years is about standard anymore... but don't feel pressed into buying one just because of this issue. Hardware can seem daunting if it's not something you routinely work with; but it's a shame when people spend the money for a whole new system because one part failed.

I was planning on a new computer anyways, I was just going to wait a couple more months so it's not too big a deal.

When I press the power button nothing happens at all, it's like I never pressed anything to begin with.

Last night it actually did come on again after I pressing it a couple of times, now I'm not turning it off again till I have a new system if I can help it. :D

When it finally decided to come on it acted just like it normally would during boot up and everything, I even played a couple games on it with no issues.

Sounds like a bad switch then. If you're planning to buy a new one anyone, just leaving it on until then is a solid plan. :D

Return to “The Help Desk”