Install ncurses 5.9 and 6.0 on the same FreeBSD box?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Install ncurses 5.9 and 6.0 on the same FreeBSD box?

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:42 am UTC

I'm trying to install GT.M for FreeBSD. One of the dependencies of this package is ncurses. When I used

Code: Select all

sudo pkg install ncurses
on my BSD box, it installed ncurses 6.0. However, this GT.M implementation specifically looks for ncurses 5.9, so it GT.M won't run. I'm still a BSD n00b, so how can I either get ncurses 5.9 and 6.0 installed side-by-side or downgrade ncurses (or change something in the GT.M code to make it play nice with 6.0)?
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: Install ncurses 5.9 and 6.0 on the same FreeBSD box?

Postby phlip » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:45 am UTC

From my searches, it looks like ncurses 6.0 is source-compatible with 5.9, but not binary-compatible. So if you're building GT.M from source, it should still work, but if you've gotten an old binary build from somewhere, you'll have troubles.

I had a very quick scroll through the code you linked to, and I didn't see anything that specifically checked the ncurses version... are you getting errors on build, or when you try to run it?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Re: Install ncurses 5.9 and 6.0 on the same FreeBSD box?

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:44 am UTC

phlip wrote:From my searches, it looks like ncurses 6.0 is source-compatible with 5.9, but not binary-compatible. So if you're building GT.M from source, it should still work, but if you've gotten an old binary build from somewhere, you'll have troubles.

I had a very quick scroll through the code you linked to, and I didn't see anything that specifically checked the ncurses version... are you getting errors on build, or when you try to run it?

When I try to run it. I'll try building it and see what happens.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Return to “The Help Desk”