Diagnosing a Dead Dell Inspiron Touchpad

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Diagnosing a Dead Dell Inspiron Touchpad

Postby Jorpho » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:20 am UTC

So I have an old Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop that, suffice to say, has taken a rigorous pounding, and the touchpad doesn't work. It was working at one point, but then I lent it to someone else and somewhere along the line, for reasons to which I am quite oblivious, the touchpad stopped working.

There is no sign of it whatsoever in Device Manager (it's running Windows XP). Everything in Device Manager looks perfectly fine, in fact, but there's no evidence of the touchpad's existence there, or in the Mouse control panel. I tried downloading and installing the driver from http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ ... erId=KH5F6 , to no effect.

Ordinarily this is where I would suggest firing up a live Linux distro and seeing if the touchpad works there, so I booted up Knoppix 7.4.2 off a USB stick. The touchpad remained unresponsive.

I'm kind of out of ideas here. Googling around suggests some kind of driver nuttiness could be to blame, but I'm actually tempted to try taking the keyboard off ( https://youtu.be/eZrld0BVqFc?t=141 makes it look pretty simple) and checking if the cable is still connected.

Is there some other diagnostic method I could try? Googling also suggests that Linux support for the touchpad is spotty; if Knoppix just doesn't have the drivers, is there a live distribution that might?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: Diagnosing a Dead Dell Inspiron Touchpad

Postby phlip » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:30 am UTC

Honestly, I think Occam's Razor is currently pointing towards something being broken in the hardware. Could be a broken connection, or it could just be dead. Seems more likely than software troubles at this point, given what you've tried so far...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:51 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm leaning towards hardware trouble too.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:18 am UTC

Okay, I got the keyboard off and tried unplugging the touchpad and plugging it back in again. The cable looked a little kinked, but there were no obvious signs of damage. The problem remains unchanged. I wouldn't be about to order a replacement module without first knowing if there was something wrong with the motherboard – but it would probably be impractical to replace such an aging unit anyway.

I have no idea what sort of connectivity these things use. Is there some way to probe the appropriate whatsit in Linux and find out if it is functioning at all?

I was kind of hoping there was some brazenly-obvious physical-disable switch that I didn't know about, but that would be too easy.

cyanyoshi

Postby cyanyoshi » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:35 am UTC

I have a Dell Inspiron from a few years back that has a button on the keyboard that turns the touchpad on and off. It is on the top row of the keyboard, next to the Insert key.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:27 am UTC

If there's anything like that, it sure isn't labelled. The keyboard is pretty much as it is in the video I linked to in my first post.

cyanyoshi

Postby cyanyoshi » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:34 am UTC

It looks like you don't have that button after all. Sorry. Just to be 100% sure, here is a link to my keyboard's layout. That button to the left of Insert is what turns the touchpad on and off.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:36 am UTC

I got excited when I thought to ask, "Do the media buttons on the front of the laptop still light up?" But yes, actually, they do, so apparently the palmrest module as a whole is still connected. If there's a hardware disconnection somewhere, it must be more subtle.

DavidSh

Postby DavidSh » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:29 pm UTC

Have you looked in the BIOS? Sometimes hardware can be enabled/disabled there.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:51 pm UTC

I could find nothing in the BIOS that suggested the touchpad existed either.

...This does prompt the question of whether there is supposed to be something in the BIOS, but I can't seem to find anything on Google about what is or is not supposed to be in the BIOS on this particular model. Can you?

Return to “The Help Desk”