Google Chrome keeps crashing

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

liberonscien
-ce

Google Chrome keeps crashing

Postby liberonscien » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:39 am UTC

For some reason Google Chrome keeps crashing for me.
I've already tried Google Chrome Cleanup.
Warning: This user is currently questioning its beliefs. This user offers its sincerest apologies if it accidentally offends another user. This user never offends others on purpose and may accidentally offend other users because it lacks knowledge regarding how to be a normal human.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: Google Chrome keeps crashing

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:27 am UTC

liberonscien wrote:For some reason Google Chrome keeps crashing for me.

Not sure I can help, but I suspect it would be useful to tell us what platform, what version, what... Thingies... Add-ons, whatever they're called in chrome, you have installed...

And if there's any pattern (a particular site being browsed, or in another tab 'idle', perhaps).

cphite

Postby cphite » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:54 pm UTC

First thing I would do is go here: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6271282?hl=en

On this page you'll find a link that leads to instructions on how to enable logging for Chrome, as well as a link showing you where to find the log(s) and how to read them. I'd suggest going through the instructions - take your time - and see if any useful information comes out of it.

Note: Please don't paste contents of the debug log here or on any other forums without reviewing them yourself to make sure there isn't any sensitive information like usernames, passwords, etc.

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:57 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:

Not sure I can help, but I suspect it would be useful to tell us what platform, what version, what... Thingies... Add-ons, whatever they're called in chrome, you have installed...

And if there's any pattern (a particular site being browsed, or in another tab 'idle', perhaps).

I am using Windows.

Whenever I open Chrome, it crashes five seconds later.
Warning: This user is currently questioning its beliefs. This user offers its sincerest apologies if it accidentally offends another user. This user never offends others on purpose and may accidentally offend other users because it lacks knowledge regarding how to be a normal human.

cphite

Postby cphite » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:27 pm UTC

liberonscien wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

I am using Windows.

What version of Windows? Do you know what extensions and other add-ons are installed?

Given what you're describing, the very first thing I would do is run a complete malware scan. Use whatever anti-virus you have installed, and then run a separate one like MalwareBytes. Make sure it's the complete scan in both cases. What you're describing is a red flag for malware.

If nothing comes up, it's possible Chrome got corrupted somehow. Running the Chrome Cleanup tool can fix a lot of issues, but no such tool is perfect. You should try getting the debug log (link was provided upthread) and see if you can determine what's actually happening. You may need to completely uninstall Chrome (you can find instructions online) and then reinstall it.

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:08 pm UTC

cphite wrote:
liberonscien wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

I am using Windows.

What version of Windows? Do you know what extensions and other add-ons are installed?

Given what you're describing, the very first thing I would do is run a complete malware scan. Use whatever anti-virus you have installed, and then run a separate one like MalwareBytes. Make sure it's the complete scan in both cases. What you're describing is a red flag for malware.

If nothing comes up, it's possible Chrome got corrupted somehow. Running the Chrome Cleanup tool can fix a lot of issues, but no such tool is perfect. You should try getting the debug log (link was provided upthread) and see if you can determine what's actually happening. You may need to completely uninstall Chrome (you can find instructions online) and then reinstall it.

Windows 10.
I had Nationstatesplusplus, some others.
I do know that it crashed the first time when I had a large number of tabs open.

cphite

Postby cphite » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:11 pm UTC

liberonscien wrote:
cphite wrote:
liberonscien wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

I am using Windows.

Windows 10.
I had Nationstatesplusplus, some others.
I do know that it crashed the first time when I had a large number of tabs open.

Well, hopefully the logs will tell you something... could be a bad extension, a corrupt or missing file, some kind of malware...

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:50 pm UTC

Or an *anti*virus. Chrome is *intentionally* pretty crashy in some circumstances; if it detects that its memory is getting fiddled with, it'll defensively crash rather than allow you to browse while owned. Unfortunately, a lot of antiviruses love to fiddle with memory, so they're one of the top crash contributors in our logs.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

cphite

Postby cphite » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:12 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:Or an *anti*virus. Chrome is *intentionally* pretty crashy in some circumstances; if it detects that its memory is getting fiddled with, it'll defensively crash rather than allow you to browse while owned. Unfortunately, a lot of antiviruses love to fiddle with memory, so they're one of the top crash contributors in our logs.

Meh... maybe if it was happening to him sporadically... but he's saying Chrome is crashing all the time. Unless he's got some kind of weird AV program that nobody's ever heard of, it seems unlikely... if any popular AV was killing Chrome with regularity, the word would be out...

Far more likely is that he's got some malware on his machine that is (perhaps fortunately) causing Chrome to crash instead of doing what it (the malware) wants to do.

My advice to the OP is still to run a complete scan with whatever AV is installed... if you don't have one installed, use Defender that's built into Win10 but consider getting a better one. Then run another full scan using Malware Bytes. Or use the Kaspersky free scanner and try that one. Might need to consider nuking Chrome completely and reinstalling from scratch.

Still wouldn't hurt to at least try getting the debug logs. Might point to something obvious.

Return to “The Help Desk”