Need a program to make math visualizations

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Aldarion

Need a program to make math visualizations

Postby Aldarion » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:30 pm UTC

I need a program to make math visualizations and diagrams. No fancy 3D stuff, just all sorts of geometric diagrams, tiles of different appearances arranged in various ways, lines drawn between points and so on.
For example, I'd like to be able to easily draw all the 16 different squares in this picture and drag them around in different ways.
allSimples.png
allSimples.png (267 Bytes) Viewed 2064 times

A bonus would be a capability for simple animation: again, nothing complicated, just things appearing and disappearing, moving and rotating from one place to another, maybe color highlights and text annotations appearing and disappearing at the right time.

I know there's Flash, but I don't really feel like learning ActionScript for it.
Last edited by Aldarion on Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: Need a program to make math visualizations

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:11 pm UTC

There's probably plenty of MathCAD suggestions, but maybe GIMP, and using Script-Fu (or GIMP Perl, would be my preference, but I try not to force that on others), although that does sound a lot like the same effort as learning ActionScript that you don't want to do...

But my logic behind that is that you can easily work with layers (to save as frames/framedifs) to do the animation you want, once you've got your head around that.

But there's probably a better alternative that is actually designed to do what you want, and SVG and/or HTML5 canvas manipulation might be yet another answer...

Return to “The Help Desk”