Whitelisting Instagram Videos on Flashblock

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Whitelisting Instagram Videos on Flashblock

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:23 pm UTC

I'm not sure traffic here lately makes this the best place to post this, but I'm not quite sure where else to go. (Maybe someone can provide a suggestion..?)

I'm using Flashblock in the latest version of Firefox, but Flashblock and Instagram don't seem to get along. If I click on an Instagram video (such as https://www.instagram.com/p/BNXTZ9LDttY/ ), the first click does nothing, and the second click just replaces the whole element with a blocked-flash rectangle.

I finally figured out how to circumvent a similar problem with Twitter videos: all I needed to do was add twitter.com and twimg.com and amp.twimg.com to the Flashblock whitelist and everything was fine. I can't seem to find any information about what I need to whitelist for Instagram. I tried adding cdninstagram.com and scontent-ord1-1.cdn.instagram.com to the whitelist (and even akamaihd.net and instagramstatic-a.akamaihd.net), but it makes no difference. A "Network" analysis in the Firefox Developer Tools does not suggest any other servers being accessed.

To be clear, if I disable Flashblock everything works fine. Any ideas?

Jorpho

Re: Whitelisting Instagram Videos on Flashblock

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:48 pm UTC

One hundred reads and no takers. Oh well.

Turns out www.instagram.com is distinct from instagram.com as far as the whitelist is concerned. Who would have thought?

Here's hoping someone else out there finds this useful.

Return to “The Help Desk”