New computer not performing as expected...

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

DurAlvar

New computer not performing as expected...

Postby DurAlvar » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:03 pm UTC

Alright, so I've just recieved a new pc from a local tech.

The specs are:

Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3GHz
GeForce 7300 GS (Stand-in card until the tech gets more 8800GT's in stock)
4x 1G RAM DDR2 800Mhz
550W power supply

The problem at the moment is that this pc cant seem to run any game without slowing to a halt. I was running two screens for awhile and was concerned that it was that, but I've unplugged one and its still slow (to the point that even a game as old as Hitman: Blood Money can't run without unplayable amounts of lag). At the moment I'm tempted to actually switch back to my old pc (with an X850 and 1GB of ram) as it runs these older games fine.

I know that temp card is going to be a bottleneck, but should it be enough of one to render this pc slower then one 3 years older then it?

Further note: I'm currently running XP which I know only supports 3GB of ram, is it possible the extra ram is confusing the operating system and slowing it down?
They say hard work never hurt anyone, but why take the chance?

FACM

Re: New computer not performing as expected...

Postby FACM » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:55 pm UTC

I'm tempted to say that it's just the 7300. The '7' indicates the capabilites of the card, like DX9 support or Pixel Shader 3.0 or what have you, and the '300' is a relative level of power. 300, being fairly low in the 1-1000 range, means that it's not that powerful of a card. I don't know ATI's crazy numbering scheme, so I have no idea how your old card compares to a 7300, but a Geforce 6800 would runs games faster with a few less special effects than your 7300.

Marvin

Postby Marvin » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:23 pm UTC

i don't think it's 7300, worked quite fine for me (except for some unrelated problems)
try looking at loads in windows system monitor (the ctrl+alt+del thing), i had a process that took 99% of my processor for a sec every three secs, and i thought something is wrong with my pc... i found out when i ran diablo 2 and finally realized there is absolutely NO way that a 2007 pc cannot run that old game without serious slowdowns...

and try something like superPI and look at temperatures... overheating can be problem...
--
If God intended us to program we would be born with serial I/O ports.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:52 pm UTC

DurAlvar wrote:The problem at the moment is that this pc cant seem to run any game without slowing to a halt. I was running two screens for awhile and was concerned that it was that, but I've unplugged one and its still slow (to the point that even a game as old as Hitman: Blood Money can't run without unplayable amounts of lag). At the moment I'm tempted to actually switch back to my old pc (with an X850 and 1GB of ram) as it runs these older games fine.

I know that temp card is going to be a bottleneck, but should it be enough of one to render this pc slower then one 3 years older then it?

Make sure your video drivers are updated--if they're current or that doesn't fix it try running a benchmarking utility and see what kind of numbers it gives you (one that separates scores like processor and graphics into categories would be best).

Try playing some video (like a DVD) and see if it does the same thing. If so I'd point to the graphics card--if not I'd point to something else at least for now. Can you try putting the X850 from your older computer in this one and seeing if it does any better?

Further note: I'm currently running XP which I know only supports 3GB of ram, is it possible the extra ram is confusing the operating system and slowing it down?

It shouldn't have an effect.

Larson

Postby Larson » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:36 pm UTC

DurAlvar wrote:I know that temp card is going to be a bottleneck, but should it be enough of one to render this pc slower then one 3 years older then it?

The 7300 is vastly slower than the X850 in any configuration. You're correct in guessing it's a bottleneck, and a large one at that. I'm assuming that your new computer has pci-express, and your X850 is AGP?

I know I keep parading the Tom's Hardware VGA charts, but they put a lot of things into perspective. Even some older cards can still hold it down when compared to newer (but budget oriented) ones.

DurAlvar

Postby DurAlvar » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:45 pm UTC

Wowza, that 7300 GS is slow. Alright, found my problem then, guess I'll have to stick to watching DVDs and playing MOO2 until the new card arrives.

trickster721

Postby trickster721 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:41 am UTC

Or you could turn down a couple of settings. Or redefine your definition of "unplayable lag" to allow for more than one skipped frame per decade.

Right now I'm using a GeForce FX 5500 PCI, and I just finished Portal with no problem. It will be years before a game is released with the minimum specs you listed, unless you really need three different pixel shaders on the ceiling to enjoy the game.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:35 am UTC

trickster721 wrote:Or you could turn down a couple of settings. Or redefine your definition of "unplayable lag" to allow for more than one skipped frame per decade.

Right now I'm using a GeForce FX 5500 PCI, and I just finished Portal with no problem. It will be years before a game is released with the minimum specs you listed, unless you really need three different pixel shaders on the ceiling to enjoy the game.

You realize your card is actually incapable of playing a large number of games, right? It has no support for SM3, which some games are starting to require.

DurAlvar

Postby DurAlvar » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:05 pm UTC

trickster721 wrote:Or you could turn down a couple of settings. Or redefine your definition of "unplayable lag" to allow for more than one skipped frame per decade.

Well, much as I think it's really wonderful that you can conjure up a feeling of superiority by being thriftier then other people, I don't see why you have make posts in the help forum announcing it.

OK. That's one snarky comment each. You're even. Move on.

Larson

Postby Larson » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:27 pm UTC

Come on now.

Getting graphics tips from someone who plays modern games with a PCI graphics card is like getting sex advice from a catholic nun. Last I checked, even that newfangled "Aye Gee Pee" has phased out PCI, and hey look even that's gone by the wayside. Now there's more to graphics performance than the interface speed, but let's be realistic here, and attempt to enjoy games in resolutions greater than 640x480 @ 15fps.

Trolling begets more trolling. Now this thread is back on track.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:10 pm UTC

the motherboard could be creating a bigger bottleneck than you think.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

DurAlvar

Postby DurAlvar » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:52 am UTC

segmentation fault wrote:the motherboard could be creating a bigger bottleneck than you think.

Won't be able to prove anything till I get the 8800GT in, but I doubt it. The motherboard is a shiny new one of (I think) pretty decent specs (it's a Gigabyte P35-DS3P for those who actually know what the hell that means).

Mystery Mod wrote:OK. That's one snarky comment each. You're even. Move on.

Heh, love the mods around here.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:54 am UTC

That board shouldn't be limiting anything. It's probably just the video card.

trickster721

Postby trickster721 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:41 am UTC

Ok, I'll rephrase. I'm puzzled by the suggestion that a $300 graphics card, in addition to the latest high-end hardware, is required for new games to be playable. I'm not bragging about being stuck with minimal hardware. I think $150 is perfectly reasonable for a card.

Amnesiasoft wrote:You realize your card is actually incapable of playing a large number of games, right? It has no support for SM3, which some games are starting to require.

Like what? Unreal Tournament 3 will still run on Shaders 2.

Larson

Postby Larson » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:23 pm UTC

trickster721 wrote:Ok, I'll rephrase. I'm puzzled by the suggestion that a $300 graphics card, in addition to the latest high-end hardware, is required for new games to be playable. I'm not bragging about being stuck with minimal hardware. I think $150 is perfectly reasonable for a card.

I agree, you can still game on a budget. I have a sub $150 video card (7900GTO) and I'm happy enough with its performance. The 7300GS is a $40-60 (and TurboCache on some models) card for reference.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:32 pm UTC

You can get a card that will play games on low-medium settings for around ~$100-150. However, the cards in the ~$200-300 range often (and right now do) have the best price/performance ratio, and if you're looking at trying to play games for a while rather than just right now they're certainly your best bet.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:51 pm UTC

trickster721 wrote:Like what? Unreal Tournament 3 will still run on Shaders 2.

Bioshock, Splinter Cell Double Agent does (Though I'm not sure that game counts, I don't think it was meant to be played on a PC), and Rainbow 6: Vegas, to name a few.

Return to “The Help Desk”