really basic (i think) networking question

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

TizzyFoe

really basic (i think) networking question

Postby TizzyFoe » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:47 am UTC

i have a desktop that i use to store media and a laptop with a much smaller HD. I want transfer some of these large files from my desktop to my laptop but am pretty much lost. I know it should be easy, and i'm sure that not being able to do this means i lose at least 50% of my geeky points but i can't get it to work.

I've ran the network setup wizard on both computers but don't have a floppy drive on the laptop so i can make the disk that is asks me to make.

right now, i have the ethernet cord (that my desktop used to use to connect to my router & the internet) plugged into my laptop (which is stilled wirelessely connected to the router). On my laptop i've got both computers showing up in the work group, but neither of them show up on my desktop. When i double click on my desktop computer icon (from the "view workgroups computers" second on my laptop) it says i don't have permissions. When i click "view workgroup computers" on my desktop it says Myroom (the workgroup name) not accessible and that i might not have permission to us it.

Maybe i'm wrong to think this should be simple?

I run XP home on my laptop, and XP professional on my desktop.

(i hope i didn't sound like to huge of a noob)
"My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?"
"But existing is basically all I do!"

TizzyFoe

Re: really basic (i think) networking question

Postby TizzyFoe » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:34 am UTC

God damn this is pissing me off! I took a networking class last semester and learned all about a wide array of networking topics but still fail epicly at getting 2 computers to talk to each other. Its the year 2000 and something why doesnt windows come with a protocol that just automatically creates a useful connection when 2 windows machines are connected with an Ethernet cord. Damn you bill gates, if i can't do this how the hell is my grandma supposed to.

/endrant
"My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?"

TizzyFoe

Postby TizzyFoe » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:30 am UTC

i gave up and used created a second aim account and and using that to transfer.

niteice

Postby niteice » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:48 am UTC

That was rather roundabout. Did you try accessing the IP addresses directly? Are both computers set with the same network settings? What about file sharing?
GENERATION 4294967292: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum, negate the generation, and convert it to a 32-bit unsigned integer. Social experiment.

spelunker

Postby spelunker » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:19 am UTC

yeah, there's definitely an easier way to do that. A crossover Ethernet cable should do the trick; all you should have to do then is something like share the hard drive of the one you want to copy off from and then go at it.

At least I think that should work.

As far as permissions go, just make sure the shared drive is openly readable by anyone.

FACM

Postby FACM » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:02 am UTC

spelunker wrote: A crossover Ethernet cable should do the trick;

Quoting this for emphasis. You used a regular network cable. That will sometimes give you very partial network functionality, as you experienced. Crossover cables can usually be found near the regular cables, just make sure it's marked Crossover.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:00 am UTC

The problem (other than triple posting), is that you used a normal ethernet cable. Why don't you just have the desktop connected to the router and your laptop wirelessly connected to the router, then use the built-in Network Setup Wizard?
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

taptap
I laughed so hard i fell out of my concubine

Postby taptap » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:10 pm UTC

It must have taken hours using aim! I know it's already been said, but here are some thurough basic suggestions, all in one for future reference.

1. Use a crossover cable (can be purchased at radioshack if you don't know how to make your own). Verify that the communication lights are working on both sides!
2. Static IP's need to be set. (google it if you don't know how) I ususally set the main computer to 10.32.26.60, with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and the second computer to 10.32.26.61 (same subnet)
3. Workgroups need to be the same. I believe pre-SP2 XP defaulted to MSHOME, whereas everything else went WORKGROUP. You can name it whatever you want, just make sure they are the same.
4. FIle Sharing needs to be enabled on both machines. Do this by opening the properties on your c:\ drive, for example, and click the sharing tab.
5. Listen to TheTankengine. It sounds much simpler and less complex to connect both machines to a wireless network and do it that way!

Davean wrote:Only the bots can see the entire forum the mods have dedicated to bashing taptap for asking questions with obvious answers. It should look good when his next interviewer Googles him before the interview.

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:59 pm UTC

taptap wrote:2. Static IP's need to be set. (google it if you don't know how) I ususally set the main computer to 10.32.26.60, with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and the second computer to 10.32.26.61 (same subnet)

WRONG! File and print sharing both work over DHCP.

taptap wrote:4. FIle Sharing needs to be enabled on both machines. Do this by opening the properties on your c:\ drive, for example, and click the sharing tab.

Incorrect. Only the PC that is sharing the files needs to have file and print sharing enabled. (this is assuming you're pulling the files to the PC you're working on. If you are pushing the files, then it needs to be set up on the other computer.

As someone else stated, plug your desktop back in to the router and turn on file and print sharing on that computer. On your laptop, open up my computer, and in the address bar, type in \\computer name. This will get you into the other computer, and allow you to transfer files over your existing connection. And you shouldn't have to use any windows network configuration wizard crap.

Let's recap:
On the Desktop
Right click on the folder you want to share.
Click sharing and security
Share the folder
On the Laptop
Open my computer
type in \\computer name where computer name is the name of your desktop
hit enter
this will connect you to the root share of the desktop
click on the folder you shared

THE END.
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:20 pm UTC

sethicus wrote:
taptap wrote:2. Static IP's need to be set. (google it if you don't know how) I ususally set the main computer to 10.32.26.60, with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and the second computer to 10.32.26.61 (same subnet)

So which of the two desktop machines is the DHCP server running on?

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:39 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:
sethicus wrote:

If they're using a router than the router itself should provide DHCP for the network right out of the box. I have my desktop and laptop hooked up to my near default home network each with a file share on a partition and they work fine.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

pieaholicx wrote:If they're using a router than the router itself should provide DHCP for the network right out of the box. I have my desktop and laptop hooked up to my near default home network each with a file share on a partition and they work fine.

But the OP's situation and the one described by taptap involved connected his desktop directly to his laptop, so no router.

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:33 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:
sethicus wrote:

Neither, because using a straighthrough cable isn't going to work even if you do assign static IP addresses. If you notice, I said to connect the desktop back to the router.
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:59 pm UTC

Yes, you said that, but you were wrong in your criticism of taptap since he was explaining how to connect two computers directly with a cross over cable and in this situation what he said is indeed correct.

Sorry, I didn't mean to send this thread so off course.

zenten

Postby zenten » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:08 pm UTC

Um, SMB (the Windows file and printer sharing proticol) works over Ethernet. It *can* work over TCP/IP if there's a bridge or something between the two computers, but it doesn't have to. DHCP is just a way to assign IP addresses, it's not needed for anything if you set up the proper settings statically. Seriously people, learn how networks work before you try to give advice.

And btw, many ethernet cards will automatically set themselves up in crossover mode if needed, so it's not dumb to think that a regular cable might work.

taptap
I laughed so hard i fell out of my concubine

Postby taptap » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:29 pm UTC

it should be noted that I haven't done any direct pc-to-pc networking for a couple of years now that I have my home server rig running. I may be a little rusty, but also, I was only trying to point out some obvious points to help get connected.

Davean wrote:Only the bots can see the entire forum the mods have dedicated to bashing taptap for asking questions with obvious answers. It should look good when his next interviewer Googles him before the interview.

Return to “The Help Desk”