Can't play videos.

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Can't play videos.

Postby Mother Superior » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:14 pm UTC

I recently reformatted after getting brand new stuff and ever since have been having problems playing certain video files, specifically RMVB-files and .aac-files (or are they called mkv-files?). The former generates a message saying it doesn't have the proper codecs, the latter crashes Media Player Classic, makes vlc do nothing and can't be played in any other media player I have. I've googled, I've installed many codecs guaranteed to make it work but nothing. In retrospect I should have made a note of it prior to formatting, but live and learn and all that. Anyone?
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Re: Can't play videos.

Postby pieaholicx » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:24 pm UTC

RMVB is RealMedia, use RealMedia player and see if they work.

AAC is the iTunes DRMed format. You should not be able to play them ([sarcasm]thank you apple[/sarcasm]).

MKV is a container format, which VLC should be able to parse, however if you do not have the proper codes for the video content (note: mkv is not it's own encoding, it just contains sound, video, images, lyrics, subtitles, etc. in one file) then they won't play.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:00 pm UTC

pieaholicx wrote:RMVB is RealMedia, use RealMedia player and see if they work.

AAC is the iTunes DRMed format. You should not be able to play them ([sarcasm]thank you apple[/sarcasm]).

MKV is a container format, which VLC should be able to parse, however if you do not have the proper codes for the video content (note: mkv is not it's own encoding, it just contains sound, video, images, lyrics, subtitles, etc. in one file) then they won't play.

Yeah but I was able to play all of these before, without going anywhere near RealMedia (eeeugh...).
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

pieaholicx wrote:RMVB is RealMedia, use RealMedia player and see if they work.

I'd recommend Real Alternative. You get to play RM files without actually having to use the shitty RM player.

pieaholicx wrote:AAC is the iTunes DRMed format. You should not be able to play them ([sarcasm]thank you apple[/sarcasm]).

This is just wrong. AAC is no more DRMed than a typical MP3, and certainly does not belong to Apple. You should be able to play them with any player that supports AAC, like VLC. .m4p and .m4v are Apple's DRMed versions of audio and video files. .m4p uses MPEG-4 part 14 compression and is encrypted with FairPlay DRM which you will have to use iTunes to play (or I think it's possible to strip it out, not sure atm though). .m4v is basically the same thing with video.

MKV is an open source container format, so as long as you have the proper codecs for whatever is inside that, VLC should be able to play it as the site has it listed as compatible out of the box. You could also try Media Playe Classic, xine, Totem or Helix
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:
pieaholicx wrote:AAC is the iTunes DRMed format. You should not be able to play them ([sarcasm]thank you apple[/sarcasm]).

This is just wrong. AAC is no more DRMed than a typical MP3, and certainly does not belong to Apple. You should be able to play them with any player that supports AAC, like VLC. .m4p and .m4v are Apple's DRMed versions of audio and video files. .m4p uses MPEG-4 part 14 compression and is encrypted with FairPlay DRM which you will have to use iTunes to play (or I think it's possible to strip it out, not sure atm though). .m4v is basically the same thing with video.

Last time I trust filext then. It says that it's the same format, but oh well. Filext page.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

FTA:"AAC’s most noted use is as the default audio format of Apple's iPhone, iPod, iTunes, and the format used for all iTunes Store audio (with extensions for proprietary Digital Rights Management (DRM) where used)"
Most noted != that's all it's used for. I've got un-DRMed AAC music files on my Nokia 5300, for example. It's a better compression algorithm at the same bit-rate.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

Google says that .mkv is the http://www.matroska.org/ container, so you probably had a codec pack before you did a re-install, letting you watch the videos on any media player that used it.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:47 am UTC

Axman wrote:Google says that .mkv is the http://www.matroska.org/ container, so you probably had a codec pack before you did a re-install, letting you watch the videos on any media player that used it.

Thankye very much.
- Hesiod, Theogony

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:01 am UTC

Rather than make a new thread for a similar problem, I'm hijacking this thread instead. MUHUHAHAHAHA!

I have a wmv file (originally from a Powerpoint slideshow) that has been stubbornly refusing to be properly recognised by Final Cut Pro (I'm not trying to do anything illegal). I found a plugin for Quicktime to play Windows media, which allowed me to import the file to FCP, but as soon as I tried to use the file, the picture went to hell in a handbasket. I tried downloading Windows Media Player for Mac, but all I got from that was an empty screen. I tried converting the wmv file to a more friendly format, but I could only convert the first 10% of the file (after trying about 4 different approaches). I tried to see if I could get the file onto DV tape, but my camera would only talk to the Windows machine when in card mode.

In the end I gave up on the idea of converting the wmv to another format or making it play more nicely with FCP. I finally got the original Powerpoint file tonight and converted it to a mov file. That was great, except the animations didn't turn out. So I took it to my PC and converted it to a few avi files. I'm in the process of sending those to the Mac right now, so hopefully they will play nicely together. This means that (hopefully) I got around my problems, but I'm still curious why that wmv file still behaved strangely - mocking me in FCP and not even making an appearance in WMP - after I got the plugins that should have made it work.
LOWA

Return to “The Help Desk”