Web publishing, THE PAIN!

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

redthegreat

Web publishing, THE PAIN!

Postby redthegreat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:13 am UTC

Ok, right, I am looking to make a web site for my friends tennis business and a web site for my own business. I know enough about web design to make an attractive w3 compliant web site. BUT I don't know much about hosting and domains, I almost brought a domain with godaddy.com as advertised on diggnation, but how to I link it to my web site hosted by another company? Is this possible? I guess it is, but this leads me to my next question, I want the sites content to be quality, but I can't do this for free so I am planning to put google adsense on the page in order to try break even and if I make anything abnormally, yeah, pipe it back into content, BUT can I do this on any hosting plan? I dunno.

SO

1. Whats the best way to go about this?
2. Best way for me to get enough moola for it not to eat into my pocket?
3. Also, how to get the site name about, I am relying on it being quality enough to rely on word or mouth, friend tells a friend stuff

Anything else you have to tell me on topic that you think I may need to know please do tell, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER! :P

P.S. This will be a UK site if this makes any difference, however I would only like to use .com .co.uk .org .net maybe .biz
Please don't correct my spelling, I am lisdexic and know it is probably wrong.

trickster721

Re: Web publishing, THE PAIN!

Postby trickster721 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:20 pm UTC

It's hard to find a good web host. Whatever you're willing to pay for absolute crap, there's a company out there that will take your money, slowly get worse for years, stop answering your emails, and finally disappear.

After going through half a dozen bad hosts when I first started, I've been doing well on Dreamhost for a while now. $120 a year might be more than you're looking for, but it basically has every feature you can think of, unlimited everything, good support, easy to use, and isn't evil. You can definatly find something cheaper, if you don't mind the evil.

redthegreat wrote:I almost brought a domain with godaddy.com as advertised on diggnation, but how to I link it to my web site hosted by another company?

Exactly how it works would depend on where you get hosting, but it's pretty simple. The host will probably ask you what your domain is, give you a list of nameserver addresses, and you give those nameservers to Godaddy.

redthegreat wrote:I am planning to put google adsense on the page in order to try break even and if I make anything abnormally, yeah, pipe it back into content, BUT can I do this on any hosting plan?

Yes. But there's no way your page is going to pay for itself, believe me. You need to have an insanely popular site to make any money from advertising. The best way to pay for a hosting plan is to make sites for local businesses or knitting circles or whatever. Don't forget to obscenely overcharge them, it's the only way they'll learn.

redthegreat wrote:Also, how to get the site name about

Very carefully. It's easy to get in trouble with your domain registrar or web host if you start spamming. And yes, it still counts as spamming when you do it.

redthegreat

Postby redthegreat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

Thank you VERY much! 10/10

I spent all last night crawling around the darkest parts of the net and learned a whole lot more.... So far I think I am going to buy a domain, host it at home on an old machine and all I think I need to is work out how to magic something called DNS :P *Geek points lost*

How slow can hosting it myself be ey? I could make a headless machine for £200 with 4 gigs ram and a RAID 1 aray, that sounds like a fairly nippy server platform?

Any more help would be appreciated still, and yes, my ISP allows home hosting.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

What kind of home connection do you have? Are you even (legally) allowed to host the server there? I know quite a few ISPs specifically state that unless you buy a business class connection from them that you are not allowed to host a server, at which point it's cheaper to get a host.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

tendays

Postby tendays » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

trickster721 wrote:After going through half a dozen bad hosts when I first started, I've been doing well on Dreamhost for a while now. $120 a year might be more than you're looking for, but it basically has every feature you can think of, unlimited everything, good support, easy to use, and isn't evil.

Dreamhost? You mean these ones ? :-)

(Not saying it's a reason not to go with them - I've always hosted my sites on my own boxes so can't emit a reliable judgement, and I guess they'll manage to fix the damage anyway)

EDIT to add:

pieaholicx wrote:What kind of home connection do you have? Are you even (legally) allowed to host the server there?

redthegreat wrote:and yes, my ISP allows home hosting.

:-)

pieaholicx wrote:I know quite a few ISPs specifically state that unless you buy a business class connection from them that you are not allowed to host a server, at which point it's cheaper to get a host.

Also, I've been hosting one of my websites on my home connection for years, against the ISP rules, and their own technicians even told me that anyway they don't bother checking. (Not that I recommend it, YMMV, and it doesn't even matter in this case as quoted above.)

Maybe if my website started to get huge traffic, maybe if I was generating revenue from it, etc, they might start bothering and checking.
<Will> s/hate/love/
Hammer wrote:We are only mildly modly. :D
Beware of the shrolymerase!

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:02 pm UTC

tendays wrote:
pieaholicx wrote:What kind of home connection do you have? Are you even (legally) allowed to host the server there?

redthegreat wrote:and yes, my ISP allows home hosting.

:-)

I see what you're saying, and I counter it with tl;dr. Well, didn't read all of it.

I would try tempting my home connection with a web server, but seeing as how it's only a cable connection, and it's from Comcast (the same people that started to shoved RST packets into bittorrent traffic), it's not worth it.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

redthegreat

Postby redthegreat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

I officially own the worse broadband service in the world, no joke it is actually the worse.

at a 2 dollar to the pound conversion I am paying $50 a month for 1mb download 256kb upstream "bit slow I know" with a 95% connection reliability and speeds half of which advertised usually, although I can see the exchange or whatever it is, as it is in my back garden, I own it mwa ha ha ha ha, rent it to the company, long story.

So, I think I have it sorted, cheers for the help guys as usual XKCD community to the rescue, great bunch you are :P

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

GoDaddy actually offers hosting services, and they're not bad, the basic package is about ~$50-60/year and almost pays for itself with adsense and yahoo-ad credits, I've never had a bad experience with them as a webhost.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

trickster721

Postby trickster721 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:18 am UTC

Oh, definatly run your own server starting out, if you can. It's a fantastic toy, and you're never going to use everything you're paying for on a hosting account. Godaddy has their own nameservers, so what you'll want to do is go into the DNS at Godaddy and create an "A record" with your IP address. Then you can still use their email forwarding.

If you don't know Linux, there's a Windows version of Apache that works fine. What's nice is that it uses the same configuration structure, so whatever you learn and set up is portable.

tendays wrote:Dreamhost? You mean these ones ? :-)

Heh, yeah. The first I heard of that was when I got the refund, otherwise I might have been a little annoyed. The whole thing only took place over about an hour, early in the morning.

Again, it's a matter of degrees. Hostsave, for example, will deliberately keep trying to bill you for six months after you cancel, and deny that they're doing it.

redthegreat

Postby redthegreat » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:31 am UTC

I run linux at home, and other than that I have an old G4 PowerMac lying about, apparently its server grade, dual cpu and 768mb ram, that should do yes? Other than that I will just build a cheep linux box for this, im much better at hardware than I am software side, so I am just going to experiment. And I know how to run appache just about from what I have learned at uni.

Return to “The Help Desk”