Mac OS X pre-10.5 Remote Desktop - free options?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

Mac OS X pre-10.5 Remote Desktop - free options?

Postby Sam Weir » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:29 am UTC

Hello -

(I note that there's a previous discussion here that touches upon Remote Desktop for OS X, but for a different goal.)

Can anyone recommend a free method of allowing me to see and control my parents' Mac OS X 10.4 machine remotely (i.e., I'm in MA, they're in CT)? Ideally, the solution would (1) not require us to buy 10.5 for its built-in Remote Desktop capability, and (2) be easy enough to use for them, the new computer users.

I presume the answer lies in a form of Remote Desktop, but I phrased the request the way I did above in the spirit of "ask a question with a goal that doesn't presuppose a method."

I guess my and their IP addresses are dynamic, since we both use cable modem.

I have searched a variety of web forums and asked several Mac-smart friends, but I am seeking more help.

Thank you for your help!

-sw
Sam Weir

Re: Mac OS X pre-10.5 Remote Desktop - free options?

Postby b.i.o » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:31 am UTC

*edit*

You can use this: https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/mac/

I have a friend who uses the PC version.
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby odayjuarez » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

Sam Weir wrote:I guess my and their IP addresses are dynamic, since we both use cable modem.

This part shouldn't be a problem. I use DynDns for SSH access to my linux box. It's pretty simple to set up and my router keeps DynDns up to date autmatically. There's plenty of (free) software DynDns clients out there though. They're probably of more use to you with cable modems.

Sorry, I can't help with the remote desktop issue though. I'm in the same situation with my parents machine. I can do a lot with SSH and a terminal, but a full GUI would be nice sometimes!
Donald Knuth wrote:Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it.
odayjuarez

Postby Sam Weir » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

@b.i.o.: That is absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for recommending LogMeIn Free. Our former IT group used to use that, so I had assumed it would be very expensive. Within 15 minutes I talked my father over the phone how to install it, and it worked - my WinXP box to his iMac and we did remote desktop without a hitch.

Thanks!

-sw
Sam Weir

Postby b.i.o » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:42 pm UTC

No problem--glad it worked!
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Return to The Help Desk