OSX on a PC?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

taptap
I laughed so hard i fell out of my concubine

OSX on a PC?

Postby taptap » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:26 am UTC

Is it possible to run OSX on a PC? I have the install DVDs that went to a macbook pro (x86 intel-based) and i was only curious. If not as the primary O/S, what about in a Virtual world, maybe with Virtual PC 07?

Davean wrote:Only the bots can see the entire forum the mods have dedicated to bashing taptap for asking questions with obvious answers. It should look good when his next interviewer Googles him before the interview.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Re: OSX on a PC?

Postby b.i.o » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:50 am UTC

Not officially...but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Some reading.

Larson

Postby Larson » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:30 am UTC

It absolutely can be done, but it comes with a price. OSX on a non-apple system tends to be picky about hardware and drivers. If you are building the system from scratch though, you'll have the chance to pick parts that are supported in OSX.

I haven't looked into it beyond a few articles, so I'm not sure about most of the details. Try google-ing "hackintosh".

Stormscape

Postby Stormscape » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Just make sure to not use a motherboard that needs 3rd party drivers to detect certain IDE channels, such as quite a few Gigabyte boards.
Visit the Vicious Cur
I cannot mail an pizza, for it will spoil.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:45 am UTC

Stormscape wrote:Just make sure to not use a motherboard that needs 3rd party drivers to detect certain IDE channels, such as quite a few Gigabyte boards.

I'll echo this. I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 and neither the Kalyway or iAtkos 10.5 versions could finish an install.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

taptap

Postby taptap » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:29 am UTC

Okay then, should I be able to boot directly from the DVDs I have from Apple? I'm not sure of the version, but I'm thinking it's Tiger. A skim of the wikipedia page for OSx86 suggests a burnt image DVD with different files, so I'm not sure (yet) on how to get that.

Oh! So much to accomplish! Today I learned that Sun Solaris is OpenSourced, so I'm going to try it when I get home on my new laptop (see "Post Your Computing Setup" if you care) and I might pull a second HDD to swap into it so I can play with this OSX thing.

Davean wrote:Only the bots can see the entire forum the mods have dedicated to bashing taptap for asking questions with obvious answers. It should look good when his next interviewer Googles him before the interview.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:56 pm UTC

No, they won't work on an x86 computer, especially one without EFI.
Do a search for "kalyway" or "iAtkos" on your torrent search engine of choice. These are fully patched versions of OS X 10.5 that are supposed to just work (tm) on compatible hardware.

Check out the OSx86 hardware compatibility list first to see if you will just be wasting your time though.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

taptap

Postby taptap » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:11 am UTC

iAtKos currently on the download!

ash.gti

Postby ash.gti » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

Not to resurrect a dead thread, but for curiosities sake, did it ever work?
# drinks WAY to much espresso

FACM

Postby FACM » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:30 pm UTC

I had OS X 10.4 running on my old Vaio back when OSx86 was first leaked. It booted, I could surf the web on the wired ethernet, and that was about it. It also took about 3 days to get it installed and running. After a couple weeks of having it to show people it was possible, I deleted that partition and reinstalled Ubuntu over it. Without drivers, I couldn't do anything of interest.

Not sure how far it's come since that point, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be too different.

taptap

Postby taptap » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:53 pm UTC

ash.gti wrote:Not to resurrect a dead thread, but for curiosities sake, did it ever work?

Well, almost. It will not load up in Microsoft VirtualPC 07, upon initializing it comes up with "PROCESSER ERROR:PROCESSOR NOT SUPPORTED", but currently I'm thinking it has to do with VPC... I'm going to the store to buy some DVDR's, and once I get the image burnt and try installing it on it's own drive, I will let you know.

Return to “The Help Desk”