Vista file shares

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

el sjaako

Vista file shares

Postby el sjaako » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

I have attempted to share a disk in vista on the network. Serveral problems going on here. I have attempted to find solutions to these using google, but I can't seem to find anything, and for some reason this is really bugging me.

First of all, on my other PC (Windows XP) I can see the shared folders on the Vista Computer, but only if I type the IP address. This is not a big problem, but it would be nice to fix it.

Second, even though I can see the folders, but I can't enter any folder except for "public". Is it not possible to share any other folder? That seems unlikely. The other folders are there, but trying to use them creates an error. (Something like "can't access files").

Then there's the disk I was talking about. It's a secondary data disk. I can neither make it accesible nor unshare it properly. I honesly have no clue what is going on.

If anyone has any hints, they can probably spare me a huge amount of stess, in this aready stressfull world.

el sjaako

Re: Vista file shares

Postby el sjaako » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

I managed to fix the first problem. Someone else set up the vista PC, and I guess they gave the PC different names in different places. While I'm used to being able to copy the name from the routers status, apperantly that doesn't always work.

Somewhere I found a note that you need to have the same username and password on both computers, but we don't use that functionality on either computer. Could this honesly be it (I don't feel like losing all my profile information to do something that seems so unlikely).

It really makes no sense how much this whol issue angers me.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

What procedure did you go through to share the files on the Vista computer? I've never had any problem with inter-computer sharing on Vista. There should be no reason you'd need to have the same username/password on both computers...

el sjaako

Postby el sjaako » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:38 pm UTC

I tried a little more, and apparently the problem is only with sharing whole drives. Now I know that, i can search more specificly for sharing a drive. Apperantly, you DO actually need the same account with passwords to share drives (at least, with the default settings).

I can understand this setting for C:, but surely I'm not the only one that likes to have sperate data drives?

This thread (on another forum) seems to know more, and I'll try it later.

Return to “The Help Desk”