Really irritating network issues (Kubuntu Gutsy)

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

Really irritating network issues (Kubuntu Gutsy)

Postby coppro » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:11 am UTC

I've been bumbling happily along on my wireless network for a while now, using knetworkmanager. It's worked fine until recently, when I tried to connect to a network with a hacked key (another story). Anyway, now, when I'm connecting to my network (and only mine, though it's the only encrypted network I connect to), I experience a few odd things. First of all, I need to tell knetworkmanager to connect at least three times each time. The first time I hit connect, it gets to DHCP authentication and dies. The next time, it usually fails prompts me for the network key, with the current key ghosted in, and I hit OK. Next time, I connect, but the connection dies a few seconds later (investigation shows that the wireless card's settings are reset). The last time, it works, but when the connection is made, the screen flashes black for a moment. I can't explain it.

Also, if someone knows how to get the power manager to actually blank the screen when it locks the computer (when I close the lid), that would be very helpful. Currently it just locks it, but the screen buffer is not changed in the slightest!
coppro

Re: Really irritating network issues (Kubuntu Gutsy)

Postby genewitch » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

my recommendation is to stop trying to use a operating system that is geared toward multi-user serving technologies as a single user web browser slash word processor.

I.E. buy a mac (which runs a consumer OS) or install windows (which is a consumer OS).

Linux development is driven by server demands, and the single users just get tossed a build every so often to pretend they're elite.
...C is for people who would rather sit at home and match up pairs of socks by the count of their elastic bands, than to just get dressed with mismatched shoes and take the lady out to dinner and nail her in the car on the way home -xkcd_n00bz
MyMusic
genewitch

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

Wow that is a completely unhelpful and unnecessary suggestion.

I agree. - Hammer
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby Dep » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

I checked the bug lists and there are numerous possibilities for this error, but all appear to be marked fixed. So, as a first suggestion, I'd recommend checking for updates for knetmgr.

If you still have problems we're going to need more info. Specifically, we're going to need the output of the following commands (feel free to remove irrelevant lines if you're capable of distinguishing them):

$ lspci
$ uname -a
$ sudo iwlist scanning
$ cat /etc/network/interfaces

--Dep
Dep

Postby coppro » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

Dep wrote:I checked the bug lists and there are numerous possibilities for this error, but all appear to be marked fixed. So, as a first suggestion, I'd recommend checking for updates for knetmgr.
No updates... maybe they are only fixed in Feisty?

If you still have problems we're going to need more info. Specifically, we're going to need the output of the following commands (feel free to remove irrelevant lines if you're capable of distinguishing them):

Okay, lspci gives a lot, but there is only one line for the wireless card in particular. Do you need any other lines for video card or ethernet/modem ports? ("03:03.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (rev 05)" was the only one for that card)

uname -a gives "Linux Talisman 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 07:42:25 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux"

sudo iwlist scanning gives (with the other networks removed):
Code: Select all
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1      Scan completed :
          Cell 02 - Address: 00:1A:C4:4F:04:51
                    ESSID:"2WIRE936"
                    Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
                    Mode:Master
                    Channel:11
                    Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
                    Encryption key:on
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
                              9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
                              48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
                    Quality=82/100  Signal level=-48 dBm
                    Extra: Last beacon: 28ms ago

eth2      Interface doesn't support scanning.

And /etc/network/interfaces shows:
Code: Select all
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
#iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
#iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto ath0
#iface ath0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet dhcp
coppro

Postby Bruce » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:54 am UTC

I do not know anything about the KDE tools, but to at least get some idea of where the problem is try to connect to the network using iwconfig directly. Basically you want:
iwconfig eth1 essid 2WIRE936 key s:foo
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.
Bruce

Postby genewitch » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

Ubuntu has always bothered me for this reason. What is the current stable release - the one you get if you ask for a installation disc?

Are you using that version or an older one? why do you have so many ethernet NICs? is that accurately representing the machine you are on? Which one is the NIC that gets you connected to whatever you're trying to connect to? Is this in a virtual machine? Is your WLan having issues too, or just your wired network?

I apologize for my first post, but i've been so turned off by the entire linux community that i really can't understand why anyone would WANT to be a part of it. (mostly the forums and the IRC channels, coupled with the article that came out a few months back about one of the major kernel developers leaving the linux kernel behind, never to work on it again.
Edit: thanks, enk, you found the link about con kolivas http://apcmag.com/6735/interview_con_kolivas This all happened right around the time i was trying desperately to get ubuntu or any linux distro to work on my laptop... it was all around depressing. :-(

You can express your frustrations over in Religious Wars. There's a whole thread for it. :)

Try to keep Help Desk posts focused on the problem at hand. Somebody with an issue like this is already wading through a lot of noise and static looking for an answer. - Hammer

edit: i'm an ass. sorry hammer, et al; OP
Last edited by genewitch on Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:47 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
...C is for people who would rather sit at home and match up pairs of socks by the count of their elastic bands, than to just get dressed with mismatched shoes and take the lady out to dinner and nail her in the car on the way home -xkcd_n00bz
MyMusic
genewitch

Postby Dep » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

coppro wrote:Okay, lspci gives a lot, but there is only one line for the wireless card in particular. Do you need any other lines for video card or ethernet/modem ports? ("03:03.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (rev 05)" was the only one for that card)

uname -a gives "Linux Talisman 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 07:42:25 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux"

Yeah, all I really wanted from lspci was what you relayed, the card info. I'm not sure what the 'Talisman' string is in your kernel, but it's not a standard Ubuntu kernel so I'm not sure if I can help you all that much there.

One more piece of information that I forgot to ask: WPA or WEP?

--Dep
Dep

Postby coppro » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

Talisman is the computer name, not a kernel modification.

And it's WEP encryption (but the flashing seems to occur now with any network. Odd)

EDIT: Here's another odd thing that I'd appreciate if you could fix. Sometimes, when I put my computer in sleep, some applications don't wake up. Literally. 'cat /proc/[number]/stat' shows that the process is sleeping, and it doesn't respond to SIGCONT or anything. Any clues?

EDIT2: It seems only to occur when I have VBA running, and it and sometimes PQ are the only apps affected. PQ can sometimes be saved by suspending and reawakening - vba not so.
coppro

Postby genewitch » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:53 pm UTC

are you running kismet or something of that nature? (airsnort, et al); i noticed you mentioned a hacked wep key. I'm wondering if you may have bumped your card into promiscuous mode by accident. also i asked a few questions up above relevant to this (ignore the wlan question as obviously i missed this the first time around).

As for the lid closing problem, it's a known issue with a lot of linux distributions. you might want to try turning your monitor off yourself (my laptop, for instance has a button to switch from internal to external monitors that when pressed, blanks the screen and shuts off the lamp) before closing the lid to start the sleep. Also programs freaking out about going to sleep/suspend is a known issue with at least the last 2 ubuntu releases and also the most current stable release of fedora. I think they'll find the problem in the init.d arena of programs. something isn't firing right for suspend to ram/sleep.

There is a solution to the WLan problem depending on what model your wifi card is - i had to install a special driver on fedora (which uses kde by default) to kick knetworkmanager's ass into gear. I was getting the same "connect three times fail at DHCP, then not ask for a wep key, then fail some more" issues with a router that was literally 4 feet away.
MyMusic
genewitch

Postby coppro » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:32 am UTC

I was using airodump-ng, but my card hasn't been in Monitor mode for a couple of weeks. And knetworkmanager has just become absolutely daft in terms of seeking out networks - it can take 5-10 minutes for it to realize that my network list has changed.

I'm on vacation for the next 10 days, so I won't have my computer. Limited/no posting... hope someone can come up with a solution by the time I get home!
coppro

Postby genewitch » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:08 am UTC

if your card is being reset you might want to check if it's getting stuck in promiscuous mode. It could be the easiest culprit to check and fix. if not i'll dig around for the name of that driver pack... i believe it was for the atheros series of card (intel manufactured mine, although i can't remember).. i'll dig a bit. be easier if you were around to provide feedback though.
MyMusic
genewitch

Return to The Help Desk