Dual-monitor setups, and full-screen applications

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

semicolon

Dual-monitor setups, and full-screen applications

Postby semicolon » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:26 pm UTC

Is there anyway to run a full-screen app (like a game or a video player) on one monitor and go over to the other monitor and do stuff without making the first monitor do the alt-tabby thing? Like, I want to have TF2 playing on my left monitor and Opera open on my right, and move to the one on the right when I'm dead or something on the left. I can see the stuff on my right monitor fine, and I can move the cursor over there, but once I click something, my left monitor minimizes TF2. The obvious solution to this is to run TF2 in windowed mode, but I get like 15 FPS when I do that.

I probably won't stick with this 2-monitor setup very long (I'm not a graphic designer or anything so it has limited uses for me), but I want to see what I can do with it.

kerohazel

Re: Dual-monitor setups, and full-screen applications

Postby kerohazel » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

It sounds like it's TF2 doing that - minimizing itself when it loses focus. I know a lot of older games will crash if you hit the Windows key or alt-tab while in full-screen mode. The self-minimizing might be a defense mechanism against that behavior.

I did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything to help. I did, however, find this thread. Damn Google and their ninja-like quickness!

If you've got an nVidia graphics card, you can try fiddling with the nView settings. I imagine ATI has something similar for their cards.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:50 am UTC

I haven't been able to figure out anything with my setup. Fullscreen apps are just that, and expect to remain fullscreen.

FACM

Postby FACM » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

Some games offer a 'maximized window' mode, where they take up the full screen but behave as a windowed app. I don't think TF2 does, though.

Larson

Postby Larson » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:22 am UTC

That's just the nature of the beast. My TF2 does the exact thing you describe.

As stated earlier, a maximized window is one solution that comes with a performance hit. Some games function fine in a window, while others do not. Some games butcher anything not on your primary screen, etc.

frosty

Postby frosty » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

Short of getting a secondary machine running for the other monitor I'm not sure!

A simple KVM would solve the switching issue.

an expensive fix? probably!

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6828123924.html

get one of these and a kvm (its an old article so you should be able to get them cheaper).

your 2ndry machine runs the browser and whatever else you're after.

:edit:

just encase you need more power -

http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer- ... cro-pc-kit

its about $300 though :p

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:22 pm UTC

Synergy is a better solution than a KVM switch if you're looking for seamless integration between two machines.

kerohazel

Postby kerohazel » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

b.i.o wrote:Synergy is a better solution than a KVM switch if you're looking for seamless integration between two machines.

Holy crap, that's awesome. It even works between machines running different OSes. 8)

Looks like they don't support dragging and dropping files across machines yet, but it's on their roadmap. Funny, it seems like that would be really easy to accomplish by integrating with Samba or something, but they say it's tricky.

frosty

Postby frosty » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

b.i.o wrote:Synergy is a better solution than a KVM switch if you're looking for seamless integration between two machines.

But what happens when he turns right (or left or up) too much in tf2?

This is why I abandoned the synergy approach and opted for a KVM. His mouse would end up leaving the target screen, or worse, the focus would remain on the TF2 screen.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

frosty wrote:But what happens when he turns right (or left or up) too much in tf2?

Probably work just fine if he opens the menu. Most FPS games recenter the mouse at the center of the screen every frame in order to give you the maximum range of motion without worrying about the edge of the screen. And from the looks of it, Source just uses the system mouse in place of a custom hardware one.

frosty

Postby frosty » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:14 am UTC

I concede defeat after a little more reading on synergy.
bah, next time b.i.o. :p

Return to “The Help Desk”