Halp me fix mah internetz! - *SOLVED*

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Halp me fix mah internetz! - *SOLVED*

Postby Mathmagic » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

Compulsory info-

Device: Compaq Presario V2000 Notebook

Okay so here's the deal:

I'm surfing the intertubes when my Firefox tells me it needs to update; okay, fair enough. I download, and install the update, then re-start the Firefox web browser.

"404: Page not found"

*type in different URL*

"404: Page not found"

This happens for every page I try to go to.

So I think to myself "that's odd". As a control, I boot up IE7 and it's working! So I reluctantly browse with IE and decide to look at Firefox issues in the morning. About 30 minutes later, IE decides to 404 every page as well.

Now here's the odd thing: MSN, uTorrent, and iTunes can all still communicate with the internet.

The next day I bring my laptop to school and try to connect to the internet there. Once again, neither of my browsers will load webpages, even while my laptop is actually connected to the school network. I conclude that this is not a network or ISP problem, and is in fact a computer issue.

I consult the trusty F1 "Help me!" function for Windows, and it mentions something about WinSock and some programs not functioning with the internet. The thing is, I couldn't find this WinSock (the Help said it was in Control Panel, but I couldn't locate it :? ).

I'm convinced it's a port issue, but I have no idea how to access and/or manage my ports.

Help? Advice? Much thanks in advance! :)

EDIT: Problem fixed! Thanks all.
Last edited by Mathmagic on Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

frosty

Re: Halp me fix mah internetz!

Postby frosty » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

Are you using a proxy at home or at school?

If not, is it set to automatically discover one?

It may possibly be causing an issue, but is unlikely, but still worth a check.

Micron

Postby Micron » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:24 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:Now here's the odd thing: MSN, uTorrent, and iTunes can all still communicate with the internet.

If you restart one of these applications can you still get a connection? It sounds like you're having issues with a dns server and are unable to resolve host names but established connections where you already know the IP you are connecting to work fine.

Try running an nslookup on some domain name when you lose connectivity and see if you can get a response.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

frosty wrote:Are you using a proxy at home or at school?

If not, is it set to automatically discover one?

No and no. :)

Micron wrote:
mathmagic wrote:Now here's the odd thing: MSN, uTorrent, and iTunes can all still communicate with the internet.

If you restart one of these applications can you still get a connection? It sounds like you're having issues with a dns server and are unable to resolve host names but established connections where you already know the IP you are connecting to work fine.

Try running an nslookup on some domain name when you lose connectivity and see if you can get a response.

Yes. I've restarted my PC multiple times, and they all still continue to connect and work fine.

I'll give that nslookup a look at. Would it work if I ran an nslookup on my PC's IP to see if I got a response?
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.

Micron

Postby Micron » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:I'll give that nslookup a look at. Would it work if I ran an nslookup on my PC's IP to see if I got a response?

No. Nslookup is a command line too to query a dns server so you can resolve a host name into a specific IP
address so you can actually connect to it.

It would give you output something like this if everything works:

Code: Select all

C:\>nslookup www.google.com
Server:  my.localdnsserver.example
Address:  192.168.0.0

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.l.google.com
Addresses:  74.125.19.99, 74.125.19.104, 74.125.19.103, 74.125.19.147
Aliases:  www.google.com

C:\>

If it failed because the dns server I am using wasn't able to respond I could still connect to 74.125.19.99 to get Google's search page. Your computer keeps a cache of recent domain name lookups so you might still be able to connect to some website or services if they are in your cache even if you cannot get a response from the dsn server. (On windows you can view the cache using "ipconfig /displaydns".)

Then again this may not be your problem at all so don't let me distract you if you seem to be able to resolve domain names without any trouble.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:55 am UTC

Okay I ran it, and I got the following:

C:\>nslookup www.google.com
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1: Non-existent domain
*** Default servers are not available
Server: Unknown
Address: 192.168.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.l.google.com
Addresses:  209.85.173.99, 209.85.173.104, 209.85.173.147, 209.85.173.103
Aliases:  www.google.com

By the way, I should clarify something.

When I try to access a webpage, I don't get a 404 error; I get a connection error.

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at <insert URL>.

- The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
etc.

EDIT:

I just tried connecting directly to the Google server using an IP from the non-authoritative answer, and it still wouldn't connect to the server. I got the same notification as usual.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:04 am UTC

That would just mean that you don't have the page cached. I don't really see that it's particularly important anyway.

Just for the record though, you aren't running a firewall that may not be detecting that the new version of firefox (post update) is still the same program as it was previously, and blocking it?

because i'm quite sure i've seen that happen before.

frosty

Postby frosty » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:10 am UTC

can you see if you can ping google from the command line,

then ping your own ip address and "127.0.0.1".

Are both successful?

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:15 am UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:Just for the record though, you aren't running a firewall that may not be detecting that the new version of firefox (post update) is still the same program as it was previously, and blocking it?

That was my first thought as well, so I turned off my firewall (just the basic Windows Firewall) and it still wouldn't connect, even with the firewall turned off.
frosty wrote:can you see if you can ping google from the command line,

then ping your own ip address and "127.0.0.1".

Are both successful?

Google won't ping, and when I ping 127.0.0.1, I get the same message as the Google lookup. This time, there is no "Non-authoritative answer"; all I get underneath the initial message is:

Name:   localhost
Address:   127.0.0.1

frosty

Postby frosty » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:22 am UTC

ah hah! could be your ARP cache!

anyone else agree on this?

----
edit
----
FYI

http://www.tech-faq.com/clear-arp-cache.shtml

this has a fix

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:31 am UTC

I cleared the ARP cache, and tried opening a browser, but it still wouldn't connect. The thing is, even the 127.0.0.1 won't ping; the page you linked to said that a symptom of the ARP cache corruption is that it's one of the only ones that you can ping other than your own.

EDIT: Unless I need to reboot after it's cleared?

frosty

Postby frosty » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:36 am UTC

whoops, sorry

I misread.

I better get some sleep before I make more mistakes.

would've been the arp cache if 127 worked (as you said)

you might have ping disabled anyway due to some advanced firewall settings.

can I just ask how you're connecting to the net?

do you have integrated wireless or are you using ethernet? (or even dial up?)

will take a look tomorrow morning.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:41 am UTC

Right now I'm browsing on a desktop PC at home. My laptop's browsing capabilities are still not functioning.

I connect with wireless on my laptop.

Thanks to everyone for all the help so far. :)

Auzon

Postby Auzon » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:37 am UTC

When he said "ping", he meant to use the ping command:

c:\>ping google.com

Pinging 127.0.0.1 should always work. There's more you can do with traceroute (tracert google.com and see where it fails) and such, but I'm not an expert on Windows. This should be enough for someone to get you started though.

frosty

Postby frosty » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:39 am UTC

if your desktop uses a wired connection (I'm assuming ethernet) can you try the ethernet cable and tell us what happens?

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

Auzon wrote:When he said "ping", he meant to use the ping command:

c:\>ping google.com

Pinging 127.0.0.1 should always work. There's more you can do with traceroute (tracert google.com and see where it fails) and such, but I'm not an expert on Windows. This should be enough for someone to get you started though.

Okay, I've used tracerout on Google and on Hotmail, and both timed out at the 2nd hop, while Google was fine on the rest of them. Hotmail started timing out at the 9th hop, and timed out every other hop after that.

When I pinged 127.0.0.1 it pinged fine. I tried pinging Hotmail, but it timed out every time. The odd thing is, it could ping Google.ca and any other domain I tried, but it wouldn't ping Hotmail.
frosty wrote:if your desktop uses a wired connection (I'm assuming ethernet) can you try the ethernet cable and tell us what happens?

The ethernet cable doesn't do any better than the wireless.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

Can you access http://198.166.12.229:55555/ , since it's not running on port 80 like most websites?
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:26 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Can you access http://198.166.12.229:55555/ , since it's not running on port 80 like most websites?

Negatory. :?

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

So it turns out that this is now the *least* of my worries; now my computer won't even boot. I'm able to get into the advanced startup screen in DOS, but no matter what option I choose (safe-mode, repair, etc.) it freezes about 30 seconds into progress.

Thanks for everyone's help anyway...

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

Can you try booting a linux LiveCD?

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

b.i.o wrote:Can you try booting a linux LiveCD?

Linux? I'm running windows. And in any case, I don't have a Linux LiveCD.

I tried booting from my restore DVD, but it still froze when it tried to repair itself. :\

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:00 am UTC

A Linux live CD runs Linux off the CD, without changing anything on the hard drive. If that doesn't work then something is toast.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

ubergeek42

Postby ubergeek42 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:32 am UTC

And if thats the case I would bet it's the ram.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:11 am UTC

ubergeek42 wrote:And if thats the case I would bet it's the ram.

I'm pretty sure it's not the RAM, since it seems to fail at the same point every time; while trying to load one specific driver.

I'll look into the Linux LiveCD.

ubergeek42

Postby ubergeek42 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:32 am UTC

What specific driver might that be that it always hangs on? Could be that the network card/controller in your computer is on the fritz, would maybe explain some of the network issues you were having earlier(Though I've never seen anything like that ever happen). Though I'm still leaning towards bad ram.

My friend had a stick of ram go bad, and I thought the same exact thing. Oddest thing was it would boot into safe mode, but trying to get into windows normally or trying to start the repair process made it crash. Tried a live linux cd I had(not even thinking to try memtest), it failed as well. Removed one of the sticks of ram on a whim, and it booted up fine with the other one. Granted this is entirely anecdotal evidence, but its rather easy to check if you do get ahold of one of those linux live cd's. I'm pretty sure the ubuntu livecd has memtest86 on it, something easy to run and will check your ram for you.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

ubergeek42 wrote:What specific driver might that be that it always hangs on?

mup.sys

I've looked through a couple troubleshooting pages, but none have seemed to work so far.

coppro

Postby coppro » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

I've had troubles with mup.sys before... IIRC, there's some driver (don't remember whether it's mup.sys or some other driver) that needs to be disabled through the Recovery Console (you need an XP install disc for that).

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:51 pm UTC

coppro wrote:I've had troubles with mup.sys before... IIRC, there's some driver (don't remember whether it's mup.sys or some other driver) that needs to be disabled through the Recovery Console (you need an XP install disc for that).

Tried that; my XP install disc wouldn't load either.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:10 am UTC

Just to let you know, it's probably not failing on mup.sys, that's just the last thing that it tells you about. If you do a logged boot, then check the log (perhaps by use of Knoppix or some other LiveCD) it'll tell you exactly where the problem is.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:13 am UTC

UPDATE!

It turns out it wasn't a memory problem at all (not HDD or RAM), but it was actually a BIOS problem. I brought my laptop over to a buddy's place to fool around with it to get it to boot *something*, and we found out that other computers would boot off my drive, but my own laptop would not. This basically told us that the problem wasn't in the drive, but somewhere else in the computer. We then tried to boot my laptop using a blank drive except for the XP OS installed on it, and again, it stalled on the mup.sys drive loading. This confirmed the suspicions.

Long-story short, my buddy fooled around in the BIOS a bit and changed the boot order around, and now it works. I don't have all the details, because he hasn't actually told me how he did it yet, but the important thing is that I have a working laptop now. Yay me.

Thanks for everyone's help! :D

I would give everyone points just for trying...

zenten

Postby zenten » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

Is your internet working properly now?

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

zenten wrote:Is your internet working properly now?

Yes. :)

That just kind of got fixed with the whole "Okay, I think I'll start booting now" that the computer did. Not to mention the disk was re-formatted anyway, so that probably fixed it.

Hargrimm

Re: Halp me fix mah internetz! - *SOLVED*

Postby Hargrimm » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:00 am UTC

Don't leave me in suspense! What did your friend do? I'm having this exact problem now, and I can't find any way to stop it.

Mathmagic

Re: Halp me fix mah internetz! - *SOLVED*

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:10 am UTC

Hargrimm wrote:Don't leave me in suspense! What did your friend do? I'm having this exact problem now, and I can't find any way to stop it.

He went into the BIOS and played around with the boot order. He didn't get into the gory details of it, and I'm not even sure if HE knows what he did (I never really asked for specifics) but I can ask him if you want.

By the way, you can Google "XP locks on mup.sys" and you'll get a good number of hits with troubleshooting solutions. It seems like there's no single never-fail solution to this problem, so I would suggest trying some common troubleshooting procedures before playing around with things other than software.

Unless you're talking about the internet problem. I never really directly fixed that... it just kind of got fixed after I re-installed Windows.

Return to “The Help Desk”