Light Bulb Suggestions

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

DreadArchon

Light Bulb Suggestions

Postby DreadArchon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:33 am UTC

The 60 Hz operation of fluorescent lights sometimes gives me a headache. With the moratorium on incandescents, I'm looking for good light bulb replacement options.

Suggestions?

(I did look around on Google a bit, but I'm not very good at internet research, especially when I'm fuzzy on the details of what I'm looking for.)

enk

Re: Light Bulb Suggestions

Postby enk » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:04 am UTC

I can't really answer your question, but how do you know that that's the cause of your headache?

It's not like it's blinking the same way CRT monitors do. Yes, the polarity switches, but it's not like the metal cools and stops glowing while the voltage is crossing the zero line. The intensity only varies a little.

Edit: Incorrectness of above text is addressed further down.
Last edited by enk on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

taptap
I laughed so hard i fell out of my concubine

Postby taptap » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:09 am UTC

How about halogen-based bulbs? They have absolutely no flicker and are a lot less dreary than incadesents in terms of color. I quite fancy them due to their brightness, however, the fire hazard associated with them keeps me cautious of how long it stays on...

Davean wrote:Only the bots can see the entire forum the mods have dedicated to bashing taptap for asking questions with obvious answers. It should look good when his next interviewer Googles him before the interview.

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:23 am UTC

taptap wrote:...however, the fire hazard associated with them keeps me cautious of how long it stays on...

This. Also, I'm trying to limit excess heat generation as much as possible because my room gets too hot due to a bad air flow in my house. (In my experience, the difference between halogens and other bulbs is noticeable in this regard.)

As for the fluorescents: I'm not totally sure that it's the bulbs doing it, but paying attention to my surroundings when I get headaches "like that" makes me think it's the lights. (Also, I have known a couple of other people who make that claim.) Yes, it's mechanically a minor effect--then again, I did say "sometimes."

Some people just have problems with strange things, you know?

(Also, at this point, I have become curious and would like to know about lightning options "just because." :wink: )

taptap

Postby taptap » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:36 am UTC

Dude, it sounds like you're gonna have to get a shit load of glow in the dark stickers and let the sunlight recharge them every day!

If heat is an issue, that takes out...
Halogen, Incadesents, candle light, oil lamps.

if flicker is an issue, that takes out...
flouresents.

Am I missing a lighting option, 'cause really thats all I can think of LOL!

Davean wrote:Only the bots can see the entire forum the mods have dedicated to bashing taptap for asking questions with obvious answers. It should look good when his next interviewer Googles him before the interview.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:36 am UTC

There are also LED bulbs, but... they're extremely expensive. And dim.

taptap

Postby taptap » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:04 am UTC

I wonder if they would cause his flicker annoyance as well.... they def. wouldn't generate heat, but with enough of them surely he could overcome the dimness dillema...

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:26 am UTC

Do you not have those small twisted screw-in fluorescent bulbs? I use them and can't tell any difference from incandescent bulbs, plus they're way more efficient.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

taptap

Postby taptap » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:51 am UTC

i'm going to butt in and agree that the twist-in flourescent 100w (x2) in my ceiling fixtures are fucking awesome. the color of the lighting is so much more pleasant and easier to work in...

enk

Postby enk » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:13 am UTC

Agreeage with drop and tap.

Also, I just realized I mixed up incandescent and fluorescent (english is not my mother tongue). My first post was about incandescents :oops:
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:38 am UTC

taptap wrote:I wonder if they would cause his flicker annoyance as well.... they def. wouldn't generate heat, but with enough of them surely he could overcome the dimness dillema...

I probably should have looked into them a little more... looks like you can get LED bulbs that fit in a standard socket and are the same brightness as a substantial incandescent. For instance, here is one that claims to be the equivalent of a 60W incandescent; assuming the lumen output is correct, that is just slightly dimmer than what Wikipedia says a 60W bulb should be.

Now, that said, it's $120.

Kasperl

Postby Kasperl » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:16 am UTC

I can somewhat confirm the headache story, I get that too, especially from being in a room with nothing but fluorescent tubes. LED's are indeed your best bet, but the lightbulbs are really expensive. If you could build your own array, you could easily get some really cool (in every sense) high-efficiency lighting, but it'd cost you some money and a lot of trouble. Or some trouble and a lot of money, depending which you'd rather have.

I've been building a computer-controlled light dimmer, and specifically went for incandescent bulbs for this exact reason, they're still the cheapest stable, dimmable light source. LED's are expensive, halogen won't like dimming, and fluorescent stuff gives me a headache. Or at least some odd feeling at the back of my eyeballs.
Just another forum newbie, asking all the stupid questions again.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:28 am UTC

The fluorescent flicker problem depends on what sort of fitting you have. Most older linear or circular fluoro fittings have fairly low frequency ballasts (even some cheap new ones do), which causes the flickering. You can replace the light fitting with one that has a high-frequency ballast if you want to, that would solve the problem. If it's a compact fluoro that fits into a normal screw-in or bayonet socket, however, you've just bought some cheap-ass bulbs. Spend the extra dollar and buy one with a high frequency electronic ballast, for crying out loud. Philips, GE and Osram brands are recommended. If you've bought CFLs before you're probably aware of this, but pay close attention to the colour temperature on the packaging. 2700-3000K will give you a light roughly analogous to an incandescent; 4000K is supermarket off-white colour; and 5000K+ is similar to natural sunlight. Pick one to suit your application and tastes.

If you really hate fluoros anyway despite this, there are halogens on the market which have a standard ES/BC socket. A 60W halogen shouldn't be as hot as a 60W incandescent, on account of the fact that it's more efficient - if you compare the two, the halogen would look brighter. (It'll still burn if you touch it, though, so...don't.)

Edit:
halogen won't like dimming

Say what now? Whoever told you that is on crack. 120/240V halogens work just fine on dimmers, 12V halogens require you to check the transformer to see if you need a leading or trailing edge dimmer, but they can still dim.

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:If you really hate fluoros anyway despite this, there are halogens on the market which have a standard ES/BC socket. A 60W halogen shouldn't be as hot as a 60W incandescent, on account of the fact that it's more efficient - if you compare the two, the halogen would look brighter.

Huh, that's news to me. I've never seen those. Do they not have the usual increased fire risk of other halogen bulbs? (I was never really clear on how that worked.)

(Also, do LED or halogen bulbs oscillate like fluorescents? As you can probably tell, I really don't know much about lighting technology.)

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:

Say what now? Whoever told you that is on crack. 120/240V halogens work just fine on dimmers, 12V halogens require you to check the transformer to see if you need a leading or trailing edge dimmer, but they can still dim.

:nod nod nod: Theatrical lamps are halogen. They do a lot of dimming.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Kasperl

Postby Kasperl » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:Edit:

Agreed, I forgot to explain that using a seperate dimmer, not one built for the halogen bulb, isn't a good thing. Depends on the type of dimmer, if it chops or just lowers the amplitude. At least, IIRC.
Just another forum newbie, asking all the stupid questions again.

FACM

Postby FACM » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:44 pm UTC

Is it possible for you to move your light source? Indirect lighting might fix your problem without replacing bulbs.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:25 am UTC

DreadArchon wrote:Huh, that's news to me. I've never seen
those. Do they not have the usual increased fire risk of other halogen
bulbs? (I was never really clear on how that worked.)

(Also, do
LED or halogen bulbs oscillate like fluorescents? As you can probably
tell, I really don't know much about lighting technology.)

I think halogens have that rep because they're generally stupidly powerful, from 150 to 1500W or more. The screw-in ones I've seen have a small linear halogen element encased in a standard-size glass bulb, which prevents people from getting too close to the very hot element. As I said, it's still dangerously hot to touch, but not quite to the same degree as common, more powerful halogens.

AFAIK, LEDs and halogens won't oscillate or flicker. Fluoros do it because of the electronics inside which convert the power into something more usable by the tube. Halogens work very much like normal incadescents in that they're essentially a piece of metal with power running through it, generating light and heat, so no flickering. I'm not quite up to scratch on the latest LEDs, but to my knowledge they're still diodes, which means electricity will only flow through them one way, so oscillations are difficult. The only flickering I've seen in LEDs (or halogens, for that matter) is because of power supply fluctuations.

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

Okay, thanks guys.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

enk wrote:It's not like it's blinking the same way CRT monitors do. Yes, the polarity switches, but it's not like the metal cools and stops glowing while the voltage is crossing the zero line. The intensity only varies a little.

Hot glowing metal is not how fluorescent lights operate.

I didn't see that post, even though I did look over the thread before responding. Sorry.
Last edited by Random832 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:19 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:
enk wrote:It's not like it's blinking the same way CRT monitors do. Yes, the polarity switches, but it's not like the metal cools and stops glowing while the voltage is crossing the zero line. The intensity only varies a little.

Hot glowing metal is not how fluorescent lights operate.

enk wrote:Agreeage with drop and tap.

Also, I just realized I mixed up incandescent and fluorescent (english is not my mother tongue). My first post was about incandescents :oops:

Was that post really necessary Random832?

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:Was that post really necessary Random832?

I don't know, but I'm certain this wasn't. Use the Report Post button if you think something needs dealt with.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:00 am UTC

Ah, sorry, keep forgetting about that button. It's just so tiny and does NOT CONTAIN A LABEL >_> (Curse you phpBB 3 skin!)

Return to “The Help Desk”