Making Flash video

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Nimz

Making Flash video

Postby Nimz » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:37 am UTC

Okay. So I know someone who has a website, and I've been given permission to put some video clips on there. The chosen format: Flash. Problem number 1: I have never done anything on the programming end of Flash before. I know some C++ (classes frighten me), some BASIC, some html, and a fair amount of LaTeX (maths nerd ftw), but Flash is a completely foreign language. Anyway, the video has been filmed and edited, and I got as far as making a .swf file that works on my computer. I naively uploaded the .swf file, only to find I need to upload the .flv file as well. The problem: the .flv is too big. My solution: cut .flv into smaller pieces so that each individual piece is below the filesize limit for upload. I get annoyed at video that has to be restarted to see "Part II" so I want the .swf to play as if it was one big .flv. For what it's worth, the software I'm using to create the .flv, .fla, and .swf files is Adobe CS3.

That's the background. The problem is that I can't seem to implement my solution (and I don't see any other obvious solution). Everything works fine with one .flv, but as soon as I try anything that looks like it might make it possible to have the second .flv start when the first one ends, I get buggy audio and sometimes blank video. By buggy I mean the audio loops, and I hear a gazillion copies of the audio track trying to play at the same time. For instance, I tried adding a second scene to put the second .flv into. Before I even put it in, the audio goes haywire. Actually putting it in doesn't help, either.

So I started over. One scene with the first portion of the video in frame 1. I add a blank frame at frame 2 so that I can put the second portion of the video into that frame. Same problem with and without the second portion of video actually inserted. Okay, undo until the first .flv is working again. Let's add a second layer this time. Nope, now both videos have their audio going at the same time (it's an improvement over a bazillion audios going at the same time, but not good still), and I can only see the layer that's on top.

Let's take a look at the help file. Hmm. Cue points. That sounds interesting. Maybe I can set a cue point at the end of .flv #1 and have it set to make .flv #2 start when the cue point is reached. I can set the cue point, but I'll be damned if I can find anything that tells me how to do anything with the cue point. Right now I'm tired and extremely frustrated, having spent several hours looking through the help file and trying things when it should be simple. Someone in an IRC channel mentioned this site, which right now is only translating in my brain to "I need to fucking write Flash code" and I'm too worked up to even figure out where to write any actionscript stuff.

I apologise for the ranty nature of this post. I'm going to sleep on it, look a bit closer at that website, and then see if there's a computers geek that can help this maths nerd. Or computers nerd that can help this maths geek, if you prefer. Yeah, sleep sounds really good right now.

EDIT
I've looked at that tutorial I mentioned (which, incidentally, is based on this video tutorial and others at gotoandlearn.com) and tried to implement the single .flv video on the previous page. I modified the sample script to suit my naming convention. Here's the exact code I used:

Code: Select all

var nc:NetConnection = new NetConnection();
   nc.connect(null);
   var ns:NetStream = new NetStream(nc);
   L1instance.attachVideo(ns);
   ns.play("Lesson 1A2.flv");
and I get a compiler error from line 4. Doubleyew tee eff. I don't even know where to start looking for how to write actionscript of my own. The error:

1061: Call to a possibly undefined method attachVideo through a reference with static type flash.media:Video.
LOWA

Nimz

Re: Making Flash video

Postby Nimz » Sun May 18, 2008 7:46 am UTC

Thanks, everyone, for all the input and help on this. I finally went with lowering the resolution from 640x480 to 320x240. A RL friend suggested that to me (how was I supposed to know standard web resolution isn't the same as standard (definition) TV resolution?). That seems to have cut the overall filesize of the flv down enough to upload it in one part. Since it's just one flv, it's pretty much drag, drop, point, click, bang! Done. Now I just need to edit 59 more of these clips and do the same thing. Thanks again for all your help on this, guys. :)
LOWA

Return to “The Help Desk”