Crashing when playing video

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Spoffin

Crashing when playing video

Postby Spoffin » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

Desktop PC, Windows XP, crashes frequently (though not always) when I play video. Sometimes I get a brief blue screen of death followed by a reboot (sometimes multiple reboots before I get the start screen), more often the video freezes and I have to restart.

While I was typing this I just had another BSoD type crash, even though I wasn't running any video

I recently installed a USB card, and I think that after this is when the problems started. I believe though that I have updated the drivers (there was a yellow ! on the control panel/system/hardware/device manager list at one point, but I made that go away, and there are no others).

I'm currently getting the corrupted error report response when I send error reports (BSoD crashes, I think the other ones give me a different error report).
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

Spoffin

Re: Crashing when playing video

Postby Spoffin » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

Another freeze-type crash, playing youtube video. Corrupted error report.
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

Baka no Kami

Postby Baka no Kami » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

When you do get a BSOD what's the 1st number next to "STOP"

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:15 pm UTC

Baka no Kami wrote:When you do get a BSOD what's the 1st number next to "STOP"

It flashes on the screen for like a fraction of a second and then the computer restarts, so I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to tell you that.

Dropzone

Postby Dropzone » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

Right-click My Computer->Properties->Advanced->Startup and Recovery->uncheck Automatically Restart. That should keep the BSOD on screen when it occurs so that you have time to read it.

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:26 am UTC

The first number is 0

The crashes are getting more frequent and no longer seem to be connected with the video.

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:11 pm UTC

I just got this error report for the first time. Which sounds, y-know, bad

Problem caused by computer hardware

This problem was caused by an unrecoverable hardware error that caused the operating system to stop functioning.

Troubleshooting

If you have received this error more than once, it could indicate a serious problem with your computer. We recommend that you do the following:

1. Back up your files to avoid data loss in case of a complete hardware failure.
2. Contact the original manufacturer of your computer to determine the specific component which is failing.

Additional technical information

Although we know the problem is caused by a hardware component, the error report does not contain enough information to tell us the specific component. It is likely that the problem is being caused by one of the following computer components:

* Random Access Memory (RAM)
* System board
* Central Processing Unit (CPU)
* Power supply

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

Spoffin wrote:The first number is 0

The crashes are getting more frequent and no longer seem to be connected with the video.
0x00000000? O_o
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Axman

Postby Axman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:48 am UTC

I hate it when hardware sort of works. That makes it retardedly difficult to diagnose. You know what RAM looks like? Does you computer have more than one stick? Try just using one, if the problem continues, use an/ the other one. It'll be slow as balls but if it works normally, -bam-, you know it's the memory.

Then you just gotta start yanking out hardware one piece at a time (or everything but the bare minimum for operation and adding stuff back in one by one) until you trip over what's borked. If you only have one hard drive, download a copy of Ubuntu and boot it in "Live CD" mode, it won't touch your hard drive or its data. If you can do normal stuff then it's probably some hackish driver all up in your shit. If that's the case, we'll move on to backing up/ restoring data, Windows repairs, re-installs, etc.

For what it's worth, it's probably not your CPU; those don't really go from Great to OK to puking, they go from on to smokin'. Same thing for PSUs. What hardware is in there? Is it an OEM computer? Brand/ model?

Also, get your critical files the Hell off that machine before it catches fire, or something.

zero10

Postby zero10 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:06 am UTC

It could be a number of things, the full 0x code would help to diagnose it, along with any drivers listed on screen. Windbg may be of great help here too.

If you suspect it could be a memory issue then download a linux live CD that has memtest on it and when booting to it run a few hours of memtest. More than 0 errors equals serious issue.

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

zero10 wrote:It could be a number of things, the full 0x code would help to diagnose it, along with any drivers listed on screen. Windbg may be of great help here too.

If you suspect it could be a memory issue then download a linux live CD that has memtest on it and when booting to it run a few hours of memtest. More than 0 errors equals serious issue.

I took a photo of the screen last time:
0x0000009c (0x00000002, 0x8054DS70 0Xb6002000, 0X00000152

I'll just mention again, I recently installed a card for extra USB slots. Did I fuck something up when I did that? And is taking it out going to help or make no difference?

Axman wrote:I hate it when hardware sort of works. That makes it retardedly difficult to diagnose. You know what RAM looks like? Does you computer have more than one stick? Try just using one, if the problem continues, use an/ the other one. It'll be slow as balls but if it works normally, -bam-, you know it's the memory.

Then you just gotta start yanking out hardware one piece at a time (or everything but the bare minimum for operation and adding stuff back in one by one) until you trip over what's borked. If you only have one hard drive, download a copy of Ubuntu and boot it in "Live CD" mode, it won't touch your hard drive or its data. If you can do normal stuff then it's probably some hackish driver all up in your shit. If that's the case, we'll move on to backing up/ restoring data, Windows repairs, re-installs, etc.

For what it's worth, it's probably not your CPU; those don't really go from Great to OK to puking, they go from on to smokin'. Same thing for PSUs. What hardware is in there? Is it an OEM computer? Brand/ model?

Also, get your critical files the Hell off that machine before it catches fire, or something.
Yeah, two sticks of RAM (a 256 and 512), I'm 99% sure I can identify it. Is it worth trying a system restore first though? I have a (possibly irrational) hatred of doing that as I can never remember the things I've changed and the restore point is always at the wrong time. Maybe if its a hardware thing then that won't help anyway. The internal hard drive is only 40 gb, so backing that up is not exactly a lot of stress. I don't think its got much more than old essays and Age of Empires savegames on it anyway.

This computer is pretty old by now. Its had in the past a network card put in and taken out, new RAM, new power unit, new motherboard, (I think because those three all melted together) possibly a new hard drive (might have just been formatted, all I know is I lost everything at least once), upgraded video card and extra ram installed, and finally this extra USB card. In short, I would not be completely devastated to declare the thing a write off and replace it (or decide whether I really need a desktop as well as a laptop). I do like having it hooked up to the TV, so if its fixable without spending lots of money, I'll do it, but otherwise... meh.

I'll get all its specs for you when I get home.

daryuu

Postby daryuu » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:07 am UTC

A cursory googling yielded this, but it doesn't say much of anything that hasn't already been said here... Under cause they do list "Vendor-specific detected hardware problems," so it might be worthwhile to uninstall the driver and see if that's causing the problem. Also, have you checked that all your cooling devices are still working right? I can't imagine that you haven't, but I thought I'd mention it since they say this problem is "frequently caused" by the failure of cooling devices.

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

Erm, the top doesn't feel hot, and there's noise and air coming from the fan. Is there a more sophisticated way to check that cooling devices are working?

Latest BSoD stop number:
00000009c (0x00000000, 0x8054D570, 0xA613A000, 0x00000136)

Don't double post! You've got almost 500 posts, you should know better! Second post edited in below:

Spoffin wrote:Erm, the top doesn't feel hot, and there's noise and air coming from the fan. Is there a more sophisticated way to check that cooling devices are working?

Latest BSoD stop number:
00000009c (0x00000000, 0x8054D570, 0xA613A000, 0x00000136)

Belarc profile:

Code: Select all

Operating System         System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)         Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a         Main Circuit Board b
1.53 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache         Board: nVidia-nForce
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 11/05/2003
Drives         Memory Modules c,d
361.09 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
83.08 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B [CD-ROM drive]
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 6E040L0 [Hard drive] (41.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n E10Y9T1N, rev NAR61EA0, SMART Status: Healthy
Seagate External Drive USB Device [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 1         768 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' is Empty
Slot 'A1' has 512 MB
Slot 'A2' has 256 MB
     Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0)    41.10 GB    9.06 GB free
f: (FAT32 on drive 1)    319.99 GB    74.02 GB free
     Network Drives
     None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details)         Printers
local user accounts   last logon
 Other    18/05/2008 17:23:26    
 User    11/07/2008 00:39:24    (admin)
local system accounts
 Administrator    07/01/2006 11:56:23    (admin)
 ASPNET    never    
 Guest    07/07/2008 05:17:31    
 HelpAssistant    never    
 SUPPORT_388945a0    never    

DISABLED Marks a disabled account;   LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account

HP DeskJet 640C/642C/648C    on \\BENEDICT\Printer
HP DeskJet 930C/932C/935C    on \\LIZ\Printer
HP DeskJet 930C/932C/935C    on \\NOZOMI\????
HP Officejet 7400 series    on \\USER-BE63E4690D\Printer3
HP Officejet 7400 series    on \\heerot\HP Officejet 7400 series
hp photosmart 7350 series    on \\HEEROT\hpphotos
PDF995 Printer Driver    on PDF995PORT
Controllers         Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller         NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 [Display adapter]
Default Monitor
Bus Adapters         Multimedia
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (2x)
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (2x)
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller         Realtek AC'97 Audio
Standard Game Port
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Communications         Other Devices
SoftV90 Voice Speakerphone Modem

Hamachi Network Interface
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
   Dhcp Server:    192.168.1.254
   Physical Address:    00:30:18:0E:7C:AE

Networking Dns Server:    192.168.1.254
        HID-compliant consumer control device (2x)
HID-compliant device
USB Human Interface Device (2x)
Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Keyboard (IntelliType Pro)
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint)
Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Mouse (IntelliPoint)
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub (6x)

Oh, and I just did a system restore, so lets see how that goes.

Edit: Nope, crashed again.

Just ran HDTune over C drive, and there's a little red square indicating damage. This is probably it, right?

Baka no Kami

Postby Baka no Kami » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:49 pm UTC

If it's saying your HDD is damaged then that probably is it. When ever windows tries to read a system file from that bad spot it crashes.

Google "recovery console" and look up info on how to run chkdsk from it. That may fix the problem by marking the damaged spot as bad so windows won't use it anymore and fix and corrupted system files. Past that you would have to reformat the drive not using the quick format option so that it will mark bad clusters as unusable.

Even that might not completely fix it and you may just need a new HDD.

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

I'm currently running PCLinuxOS from LiveCD, and it seems like the problem isn't coming up anymore. Assuming it continues to operate normally, does this confirm that its a hard disk problem?

Return to “The Help Desk”