MP3act / SqueezeCenter replacement?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

zero10

MP3act / SqueezeCenter replacement?

Postby zero10 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:10 am UTC

I have recently changed some hardware in my server and the new RAID cards I am using have buggy linux drivers that cause them to keep dropping my disks and demolishing my RAIDs so unfortunately I have been forced to run Windows on this machine (since the windows drivers are the only non-buggy ones apparently). I have already installed the OS and installed apache, php, mysql and such, then migrated all of my sites over and everything works perfect except for mp3act. It goes down in a big fiery ball of php session errors and missing links since it was apparently explicitly coded to run on linux, that and finding/installing mpg123 and lame on windows may turn out to be problematic. I'm good with PHP but I just can't dedicate the time to repair mp3act.

A good friend showed me squeezecenter which does pretty much the same thing (from my perspective) however it installs its own web server, back end, everything, and that makes it effectively no good to me since I can't use my name-based virtualhosts with that and it would need to run on an alternate port which is a big no-go in my setup.

So I'm wondering, what other scripts do you guys use for streaming your home MP3 collection? There has to be something else out there that I can get working on windows with apache. I have a deeply rooted hatred for IIS 6 so at nearly all costs I would like to avoid it if possible.

zero10

Re: MP3act / SqueezeCenter replacement?

Postby zero10 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:55 am UTC

I finally got it straightened out, turns out they stripped helperapps out of getid3 when they packaged it in with mp3act, after installing this, manually setting the session path in includes/sessions.php and installing windows binaries of mpg123 and lame it looks like mp3act is finally going again. Bloody good thing their web site and support forums are still up.... not!

I'm still curious if anybody knows of another decent script for streaming my music collection from home? It needs to have a reasonably-intuitive web based GUI that will work properly under apache. I thought about Jinzora but I could never get used to their interface :(

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

zero10 wrote:So I'm wondering, what other scripts do you guys use for streaming your home MP3 collection? There has to be something else out there that I can get working on windows with apache. I have a deeply rooted hatred for IIS 6 so at nearly all costs I would like to avoid it if possible.

Don't really take the DIY approach myself but TVersity is an all in one pack which doesnt use IIS. Works with most devices and streams video too.
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

zero10

Postby zero10 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:28 am UTC

True, I totally neglected to mention that one. I am already running it for streaming all my media to my 360 but I was hoping for something else web based (that doesn't require streaming through a flash applet). Tversity is nice since I can just block that port from the outside world and use it totally unsecured inside my network. TVersity suffers from the same issue as squeezecenter, it provides all of it's own services, back end, etc., and that doesn't fit well what I already have set up.

Did any projects take over where mp3act left off, or is there another script out there to do this?

Return to “The Help Desk”