Badblocks on USB hard drive

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Lamhslea

Badblocks on USB hard drive

Postby Lamhslea » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:06 am UTC

I've had a 500GB MyBook for a while now, and have tried a few times to use it to back up my computer with rsync, but always found it to fail with odd messages such as 'NFS file lock expired'

Anyhow, I recently tried the badblock command thusly:
badblocks -w -v /dev/sdf| tee sdfBadblock

and several days later ended up with a long and terrible file (2.3GB)

I've read about badblocks but am still wondering about a few things, namely: Am I correct in believing that badblocks will remap the bad blocks, making the drive all better? And so, can I safely make a new filesystem and have another go at the backing up?

zero10

Re: Badblocks on USB hard drive

Postby zero10 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

Something else is wrong. If you have a 2.3GB file of bad blocks, and it took DAYS to scan the disk, something else is wrong.
Badblocks itself does not relocate the sectors, but part of the idea is that through multiple tests it will force the drive's firmware to relocate the bad sectors. Its kind of hit and miss, and don't ever assume they are relocated until it gets a clean bill of health from badblocks.

IIRC those drives have some issue relating to their standby mode, especially under Linux. I have never owned one so I didn't pay close attention to the articles, but at this point I don't think it is a bad sector issue.

Return to “The Help Desk”