Time Lapse software - Windows

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

zero10

Time Lapse software - Windows

Postby zero10 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:32 pm UTC

I am wondering if anybody knows of some windows-based software that allows me to use a USB webcam I have to take some time lapse shots? I used to use zoneminder under linux for this, but for various reasons I cannot do that in this instance. It is a creative webcam "Live!" camera and I am trying to take some time lapse shots of some plants I am growing (I think it would be cool). It can't be trial-ware or anything like that since it will likely be a time lapse shot over a year or two, so both the time frame and movie size will end up quite large. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jorpho

Re: Time Lapse software - Windows

Postby Jorpho » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

Do you have a Windows application that will save a snapshot from the camera and then quit? If so, I think the Windows task scheduler should suffice - though I don't have it handy and I'm not sure how much control you have over the scheduling.

legombajs

Postby legombajs » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:51 am UTC

Here's a free program that will do what you need, and a whole lot you don't need: http://www.yawcam.com/

It also has a feature to let you assemble the pictures into a time-lapse movie afterwards!

ubergeek42

Postby ubergeek42 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:00 am UTC

Microsoft has a PowerToy for doing what you want I believe, and it is free.

Webcam Timershot
This PowerToy lets you take pictures at specified time intervals from a Webcam connected to your computer and save them to a location that you designate.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Down ... rtoys.mspx
(Scroll down, its the last thing on the page)

Return to “The Help Desk”