What font is used for the xkcd comic titles?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

What font is used for the xkcd comic titles?

Postby protoman247 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:08 am UTC

Morning folks,

I have a small problem, and would be delighted if anyone could lend a hand in solving it. I recently bought 4 of the Randall's signed comics as a small Christmas present for myself. I intended on framing them in my study and have gotten as far as buying the frames and matting, but I've run into a problem. The comics themselves do not come with the title text, and I figured that it would look much nicer if I could include the title text above the comic.

I figured finding the font of the title text would be as simple as copy-pasting the title from the comic page into a MS Word Doc, but apparently it doesn't recognize that font. A couple Google searches for "xkcd title font" and the like have turned up nothing either. Websites such as this haven't been able to find it either.

Sorry if this post is tl;dr for such a simple question, but I would really like to find this elusive font. Any help or direction on where I could get this font or what it is called would be greatly appreciated.

-Proto
protoman247

Re: What font is used for the xkcd comic titles?

Postby Zabaron » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:24 am UTC

According to Google Chrome's resource inspector, it is Lucida, sans-serif.

-Zabaron
I love deadlines. I love that wooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams
Zabaron

Postby 10nitro » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

http://xkcd.com/static/general.css:
Code: Select all
h1{
   display: inline;
   font-size: 20px;
   font-variant: small-caps;   
   font-family: Lucida, sans-serif;
   font-weight: 800;
}

So first it checks your computer for fonts in the family "Lucida" It may find several, if it does, it will use the one your computer has set to the highest priority. If it does not find any fonts in the Lucida family, then it will check for fonts in the family "sans-serif" Again, if it finds several, it will use the one with the highest priority. If it does not find any fonts in either family, it will default to the browser's default font.
In Firefox this is [Edit|Tools]->Preferences->Content->Default font: (Tools on Windows, Edit on *nix)
In Internet Explorer it is a Windows setting. In XP is is something like "right-click on the desktop->the bottom one->settings->advanced" then it will have a bunch of options, several of which are fonts. The one set to "Veranda" by default is the one we're worried about.

... And I just gave you way more information than you wanted.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx
10nitro

Postby b.i.o » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

10nitro wrote:If it does not find any fonts in either family

(Which is not going to happen, because not including a sans-serif font in a modern OS would be completely stupid.)
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby Carnildo » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

b.i.o wrote:
10nitro wrote:If it does not find any fonts in either family

(Which is not going to happen, because not including a sans-serif font in a modern OS would be completely stupid.)

Is it? Several of my Linux installs have only one font: a monospaced serif font. Lynx will use that font even if the webpage calls for sans-serif.
Carnildo

Return to The Help Desk