Best options for converting powerpoint to HTML

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Katieesq

Best options for converting powerpoint to HTML

Postby Katieesq » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:35 pm UTC

Hi there,

I've been given a new project at work that involves posting powerpoint presentations to our website in HTML. Initially, I converted these powerpoint files to HTML by simply saving the file as a single file web page. As those familiar would probably guess, I have run into compatibility issues with browsers like Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. As an entirely web-based, for profit business, this is pretty unacceptable.

I'm basically looking for a recommendation for the best program to convert these powerpoint files that won't add in a lot of garbage code. I've read some mixed reviews on OpenOffice, so I'm curious to know what everyone here thinks. Also, as I mentioned before we are a for profit business, so though open source options would be nice they are not inherently necessary. I've tested one program, Impatica, that worked well on all browsers, but in order to maintain the functions we want (ie, speakers notes and a navigation pane), we would have to opt for the premium (read: twice the price) version.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

P.S. I am not a web developer (even though apparently my company thinks I am qualified to do this) so forgive me if my explanation is unclear or I misuse terms. Also, feel free to follow up if something is confusing, or direct me to a useful resource page (my Google-fu is weak). [/ritual apology]
Cupcakes of HOPE!

joeframbach

Re: Best options for converting powerpoint to HTML

Postby joeframbach » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:58 pm UTC

I'm only halfway joking in this recommendation. It might work if you're lucky.

Open the website in lynx. Copy. Paste. Add <div>s where necessary. Maybe re-write the stylesheet?

Katieesq

Postby Katieesq » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Thanks for your quick response, though I feel I have to emphasize something:

Katieesq wrote:P.S. I am not a web developer (even though apparently my company thinks I am qualified to do this) so forgive me if my explanation is unclear or I misuse terms. Also, feel free to follow up if something is confusing, or direct me to a useful resource page (my Google-fu is weak). [/ritual apology]

Ergo, your recommendation to add <div>s where necessary is a little lost on me. Where would it be necessary? And without some sort of example to look at, rewriting the stylesheet is beyond me. Is there any such thing?

Any more suggestions?
Cupcakes of HOPE!

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

Katieesq wrote:Ergo, your recommendation to add <div>s where necessary is a little lost on me. Where would it be necessary? And without some sort of example to look at, rewriting the stylesheet is beyond me. Is there any such thing?

Any more suggestions?

What he is suggesting is basically to take the plain text and add a style sheet to it. 'div' is an HTML element that on its own is meaningless. However, it's extremely useful in styling webpages with CSS. Here's a (very) quick example stylesheet/html for displaying something like a single, simple 800x600 slide:

HTML

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="ltr" lang="en-us" xml:lang="en-us">

<head>
<style type="text/css">
@import url(style.css);
</style>
</head>

<body>
<div id="wrapper">
<h2 id="title">This is the title!</h2>
<div id="body">
<p>Main slide text goes here. A list is below. </p>
<ul>
<li> This is one list item. </li>
<li> This is another list item. </li>
</ul>
</div> <!-- .body -->
</div> <!-- .wrapper -->
</body>

</html>

Quick and dirty CSS:

Code: Select all

body {
background: #dddddd;
}
.wrapper {
width: 600px;
height: 400px;
margin: auto;
background: white;
padding: 100px;
}
.title {
font-size: 3.5em; /* I take no responsibility for font sizes here, I'm making this up as I go along. */
text-align: center;
}
.body {
font-size: 1.5em;
}

There may or may not be typos here, but I haven't checked it in a browser and need to leave now, so I can't really help that at the moment. But essentially, this is just a very easy HTML/CSS example. If you decide you want to go this route, htmldog is a good resource for learning HTML/CSS.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:29 am UTC

It's not completely meaningless. If you write something like <div>foo</div><div>bar</div>, you'll get two lines. <span> will do what you're thinking. Of course you can override that with the CSS display attribute.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:40 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:It's not completely meaningless. If you write something like <div>foo</div><div>bar</div>, you'll get two lines.

I didn't say it didn't do anything, I said it was meaningless.

Return to “The Help Desk”