GIMP vs. Photoshop Elements, Which Should I Use?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

GIMP vs. Photoshop Elements, Which Should I Use?

Postby idlehandsrome18 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:52 pm UTC

Ok, I recently bought a tablet that came with Photoshop Elements in a software bundle. I wanted to use Gimp because I hear it is free and good, but I'm not sure which is better. From what I understand, Elements is just a watered down version of Photoshop, but I dont know if Gimp supports pressure sensitivity and tilt from a tablet (its an Wacom Intuos). I also have the full version of Fireworks which came with Flash and Dreamweaver, but I don't think it suits my needs. I'm mainly looking for a program for drawing comics, so it doesn't need to be too intense, but naturally I want all the features I can get.
My webcomic:
idlehandsrome18

Re: GIMP vs. Photoshop Elements, Which Should I Use?

Postby hotaru » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:06 am UTC

idlehandsrome18 wrote:Ok, I recently bought a tablet that came with Photoshop Elements in a software bundle. I wanted to use Gimp because I hear it is free and good, but I'm not sure which is better. From what I understand, Elements is just a watered down version of Photoshop, but I dont know if Gimp supports pressure sensitivity and tilt from a tablet (its an Wacom Intuos). I also have the full version of Fireworks which came with Flash and Dreamweaver, but I don't think it suits my needs. I'm mainly looking for a program for drawing comics, so it doesn't need to be too intense, but naturally I want all the features I can get.

you could just download the gimp and see if it does what you want.
the great thing about it being free is that if it doesn't, you can just uninstall it and all you've lost is a couple minutes.
Code: Select all
uint8_t f(uint8_t n)
{ if (!(
n&1)) return 2;
  if (
n==169) return 13; if (n==121||n==143) return 11;
  if (
n==77||n==91) return 7; if (n==3||n==5) return 0;

n=(n>>4)+(n&0xF); n+=n>>4n&=0xF;
  return (
n==3||n==6||n==9||n==12||n==15)?3:(n==5||n==10)?5:0; } 
hotaru

Postby b.i.o » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:00 am UTC

I prefer The GIMP to Photoshop in the first place. Photoshop is large, bloated, slow, has a godawful UI, and does obnoxiously bad text rendering. PS Elements is all that except it treats you like you know very little and isn't nearly as powerful.

There are a few things The GIMP doesn't have good support for yet, but nothing I can imagine you running into if you're drawing comics for the web. The GIMP does support pressure sensitivity (I don't know about tilt--I don't have a tablet that does) although you probably need to set up your tablet manually with it in the options (which is simple--instructions can be found on Google).
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:39 pm UTC

b.i.o wrote:Photoshop is large, bloated, slow, has a godawful UI, and does obnoxiously bad text rendering.

When was the last time you used Photoshop? The most recent versions are absurdly faster. It leaves GIMP in the dust. Still has awful text rendering though. Though thinking about it, the UI may have advantages over photoshop at the moment for Windows 7...

As for an answer to the original question, all I know is that Elements is a gimped (no pun intended) version of Photoshop. Just do what Hotaru said, download GIMP and see if it's for you. You have access to both, give them each a try and see which one YOU like better.
Amnesiasoft

Postby b.i.o » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:42 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:When was the last time you used Photoshop? The most recent versions are absurdly faster.

I use CS3 on the quite well-equipped Mac Pros my school owns and GIMP on my own laptop and find that GIMP runs much faster in general.
b.i.o

Postby idlehandsrome18 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

I tried out GIMP and I love it. I was using Sumo Paint before, which is fun to mess around with and easy to use, but overall too buggy to be taken seriously. That piece o' junk program made me lose 3 hours of work just because my roommate reset the router (its a browser-run app). GIMP is a major upgrade and can run on my Windows and Mac computers so FUCK YEAH!
My webcomic:
idlehandsrome18

Postby felixalias » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:13 pm UTC

Photoshop's text rendering may be bad, but GIMP's is hardly much better (if better at all). Also, both UI's seem to have their flaws. For example, in the GIMP it's a lot of little things; if you try to create a new image with an image in the clipboard, it won't automatically change the dimensions of the new image to match clipboard data. GIMP also needs 16-bit image support, long overdue. The menus in GIMP are also horrible, an absolute usability mess (especially the right click context menus).

Photoshop's Layers UI needs some work, I always find myself spending a lot of time navigating through it for a project with a lot of layers (or often needing to change blending options). The filters also desperately need a 'Re-show' instead of just 'Re-do' (a la GIMP ;). Masks and alpha channel editing in Photoshop also really sucks imo.

Oh, but Photoshop Elements vs GIMP? Not even a contest, GIMP every time.
felixalias

Postby Carnildo » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:40 am UTC

felixalias wrote:if you try to create a new image with an image in the clipboard, it won't automatically change the dimensions of the new image to match clipboard data.

Are you sure you aren't confusing the Gimp with MS Paint here? I've been using it for a decade and I've never had this problem.
Carnildo

Postby b.i.o » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:17 am UTC

felixalias wrote: Also, both UI's seem to have their flaws. For example, in the GIMP it's a lot of little things; if you try to create a new image with an image in the clipboard, it won't automatically change the dimensions of the new image to match
clipboard data.

I believe there's an option for that somewhere--it USED to, so I don't know why that functionality would disappear, I think it's just not on by default.

GIMP also needs 16-bit image support, long overdue.

It's coming.

The menus in GIMP are also horrible, an absolute usability mess (especially the right click context menus).

I personally find them a lot better than PS's, but no, they're not great.

Anyway, I think we're verging into religious wars territory, so we may want to create/us an existing thread over there.
b.i.o

Postby felixalias » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:02 am UTC

Carnildo wrote:Are you sure you aren't confusing the Gimp with MS Paint here? I've been using it for a decade and I've never had this problem.

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. Turns out I was using MS Paint all along. My bad.

(Just verified this with 2.6.3 Windows and 2.6.1 Linux)

Yeah, I would think there would be an option for it, but nothing in the preferences from what I could tell (under the general preferences or Default Image, and no Clipboard template). Pretty minor anyways. Again, it's not like Photoshop is perfect, but GIMP isn't perfect either.
felixalias

Postby hotaru » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:18 am UTC

felixalias wrote:if you try to create a new image with an image in the clipboard, it won't automatically change the dimensions of the new image to match clipboard data.

really? it works fine for me... just shift + ctrl + v (or "File" -> "Create" -> "From Clipboard"), and the new image has the same dimensions as the clipboard data.
Code: Select all
uint8_t f(uint8_t n)
{ if (!(
n&1)) return 2;
  if (
n==169) return 13; if (n==121||n==143) return 11;
  if (
n==77||n==91) return 7; if (n==3||n==5) return 0;

n=(n>>4)+(n&0xF); n+=n>>4n&=0xF;
  return (
n==3||n==6||n==9||n==12||n==15)?3:(n==5||n==10)?5:0; } 
hotaru

Postby felixalias » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:52 am UTC

hotaru wrote:

really? it works fine for me... just shift + ctrl + v (or "File" -> "Create" -> "From Clipboard"), and the new image has the same dimensions as the clipboard data.

Yeah, that's different than making a new image and say, changing the image's resolution/background color/etc. As I said, it's minor.
felixalias

Return to The Help Desk