Windows Random Crashing Driver problem thingy...

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Zachh

Windows Random Crashing Driver problem thingy...

Postby Zachh » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

Running Vista 64bit on a Asus N80v laptop and I've not really had a problem until recently. Every 5-10 hours or so ( weird I know ) I'll get a blue screen crash that I have to restart from. Nothing gets damaged like no files lost or anything but it interrupts everything that I'm doing to the point that I lost about 2 pages of a very important paper I was writing.

The only hint as to what's going on is a message on the actual blue screen.

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL

I just moved and my driver recovery disk got lost in the shuffle between Pennsylvania and California. Anyway to remedy this or should I just got to Best Buy and cash in on my extended warranty?
void applythefunny(){
if (isrReading) {
currentJoke--;
} else {
System.err.println("Thats the joke!");
}
}

b1ackcat

Re: Windows Random Crashing Driver problem thingy...

Postby b1ackcat » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:55 am UTC

To accurately diagnose the error message, we'll need the stop code that appears on that blue screen.

it'll look something like this

0x000000xx (0xXXXXXXXX etc.....

where the xx and XXXXXX are hexidecimal numbers. it'll be found near the bottom of the BSOD. googling the stop code should guide you in the right direction.
My favorite Churchill quote: "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

Atmosck

Postby Atmosck » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:33 am UTC

I get the same thing. I got it alot before i RMA'd my video card, but i didn't get it since then until just a few minutes ago. I couldn't write down the hex codes though, because it restarted automatically and the memory dump only took a few seconds.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:20 am UTC

You can turn off the "automatically reboot on BSoD" thing somewhere deep in Windows's settings...
[edit] Found it: Control Panel -> System (or right click My Computer -> Properties). Hit the "Advanced System Settings" link on the left (on Vista, at least... on XP I think you go the the Advanced tab, and it's otherwise the same). Click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery. Under System Failure, untick Automatically Restart. Hit OK a bunch until everything's closed. [/edit]

Once the stop screen is up... I know you can't take a screenshot, since the computer's dead, but do you have a camera handy or something? If not, you'll probably just have to copy everything off the screen by hand or something.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Zachh

Postby Zachh » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:46 pm UTC

Any of these help?

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: d1
BCP1: FFFFFA6001FF3B80
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFFA600322C90D
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini070909-01.dmp
C:\Users\Zach\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-47829-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Zach\AppData\Local\Temp\WERF758.tmp.version.txt
void applythefunny(){
if (isrReading) {
currentJoke--;
} else {
}
}

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

The last time I ran into that problem it was related to my sound card, but I had been messing with things immediately before that happened so it was a pretty unique circumstance.

Perhaps you have a service installed that tries to run once every few hours? Also, do you tend to shut your laptop down, or do you usually put it into hibernation?

Zachh

Postby Zachh » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:03 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:The last time I ran into that problem it was related to my sound card, but I had been messing with things immediately before that happened so it was a pretty unique circumstance.

Perhaps you have a service installed that tries to run once every few hours? Also, do you tend to shut your laptop down, or do you usually put it into hibernation?

I do use sleep mode a lot when I know I'll be back in a short while, but I usually make a point of restarting every so often and shutting down when the battery gets to sperm killing temperature.
void applythefunny(){
if (isrReading) {
currentJoke--;
} else {
}
}

Return to “The Help Desk”