Web Development program for Linux?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Reamsie

Web Development program for Linux?

Postby Reamsie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:29 pm UTC

I just put Linux(mint) on my laptop (finally!) and I'm trying to find a good web development program to use. On windows I used Dreamweaver for everything but I don't know where to begin finding a good one for Linux; and yes, I am new to Linux, and so far I am loving it. :) Anyone have any particular one they like better? I was looking at Aptana/Eclipse, any opinions on that one?
Thanks!

Random832

Re: Web Development program for Linux?

Postby Random832 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:21 pm UTC

Most people just use text editors. (I think there's some wysiwyg html editor from mozilla - nvu or something)

For questions about what text editor you should use, or what language for dynamic stuff, you might find stuff in this forum.

text editors

Reamsie

Postby Reamsie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

I'll look around in there- Thanks!

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

What kind of web development are you talking about - just making plain webpages, or dynamic stuff like php javascript etc, or what?

Reamsie

Postby Reamsie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

Well right now I'm specifically just doing (X)(D)Html, CSS, Cold fusion and Javascript, but I'm going to be doing more soon when I get the time (like PHP for example). But right now the one's I mentioned are my main focus as they pertain to what I do during the day, if that helps.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:05 pm UTC

Reamsie wrote:Well right now I'm specifically just doing (X)(D)Html, CSS, Cold fusion and Javascript, but I'm going to be doing more soon when I get the time (like PHP for example). But right now the one's I mentioned are my main focus as they pertain to what I do during the day, if that helps.

I don't know about coldfusion... you may not be able to do it, i think it might be a dreamweaver-specific thing?

Wikipedia article says eclipse has support for coldfusion, so maybe that

Reamsie

Postby Reamsie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

Well Adobe has it's own Program for Cold Fusion (Suprise-it's Adobe Cold Fusion), I was looking at Eclipse and I didn't notice if it said it supported Cold Fusion but I'll check into it since you caught it- I tried using Aptana, which come's from Eclipse but it's not wanting to load right, so maybe I'll just try Eclipse itself..

cyb1n

Postby cyb1n » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

eclipse will support coldfusion you just have to point it to cfeclipse.org to download the plugin. I actually configured a nice little web development package using Eclipse Classic + Aptana Plugin + CFEclipse Plugin on a windows machine. Shouldn't be too difficult to set up on a linux os though.

Return to “The Help Desk”